Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
surge321123
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:21 pm   

evaluating inside a string list

I have a string list that requires some variability in its syntax. ie one of the items would be called

{The|} {dagger|daggers} of death.

When I try to have a trigger match it, it doesn't. That will only match if I actually see {The|} {dagger|daggers} of death, rather than The dagger of death or daggers of death. Does anyone know how to make a string list evaluate this variability? The way I am using it, I can't just make each variation its own member.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:42 am   

That code should work just fine as a trigger pattern. Perhaps you have accidentally changed one of the trigger options so that it is interpreting it literally?
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:54 am   

He wants that to be a member of an array which is the problem.

CMUD will accept an annonymous variable like that in trigger patterns, but it doesn't like named variables looking like that.

Is there a reason you need this in a named variable?
There is no limit on the size of variables (that you are likely to reach) so you CAN have them as separate entries.
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:20 am   

There is a place I can go and find out how many of a unique piece of gear is currently out. I have a tracker for it. I go there and check all the uniques and this trigger is taking the number out and the item and checking the database....

so there are up to 4 variations on a single item, and it can show IDd, unIDd, plural, or singular. So I can have all 4 as separate members of the string list, but then when I go to print which uniques are out and their numbers, how do I know which version to check? if I look at @uniquelist.5, it will say 0, @uniquelist.6 is 0, @uniquelist.7 is 0, but 8 shows there are 4 of them currently out. I hope that helps shed light on why I'm doing it the way I'm doing it. And I realize my syntax for accessing the values in the db var isn't correct, just an easy way to explain it
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:55 am   

Hmm... i see what you are doing, but perhaps it would be better to something like:

Code:
#TR {^({%w|}) dagger({s|}) of death} {
  $num=1
  #IF (%2="s") {
    $num=2
    #SWITCH (%1)
      ("Three") {$num=3}
      ("Four") {$num=4}
    }
  #ADDKEY uniquelist {deathDagger=$num}
}

for each item you want to track
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:55 am   

yea well thats how I originally did it... I had about 120 triggers... that's why I moved to a database.

Now I am using a database that has all the syntaxes that will come out, with values of the record number in the second database. The second database is a list of each unique and the values are the number that are out. So I am catching the name in one database, using that to find the unique in the second database, then setting the number of uniques out there. My goal is to make it a single database, but having trouble there...
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:16 am   

having alot of triggers is not neccisarily a bad thing, it can even be faster then using one huge all encompasing variable.
Especially if you put them all into a class that only gets turned on when you check for what is needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: