Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
miqing
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:51 am   

Can screen resolution cause CMUD display problems (On tablet running windows 7)?

I use CMUD 3.33 on my tablet laptop running windows 7 (Res. 1280x800). When I try to click File->import from zMud->browse button, the explorer window doesn't show up. Same thing happens when I click Action->Execute script, when the explorer window suppose to pop-up. I do the same operation on my desktop (Windows 7, Res. 1920x1200), both explorer windows pop-up correctly. I also tried these operation on my old laptop which runs windows XP @1280x800. Both windows pop-up correctly. Thus, I just wonder:

1. Is it because windows 7@1280x800 is not OK for CMUD 3.33?
or
2. Is it CMUD doesn't display properly on tablet PC?

Since the I use this tablet PC most, I really wish I can use CMUD on this one properly. Any suggestion will be very helpful. Thanks a lot.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:38 pm   

The resolution should not be an issue. It's possible though that the window is popping up off-screen. When CMUD starts be sure maximize the screen in case the starting resolutions are off. Also be sure you're not running a window manager like WindowBlindz(sp?) or something like that.
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:48 pm   

Thank you, Tech. I changed the CMUDpro shortcut to Maximum window, and it doesn't help. I also disable dwm.exe (desktop windows manager service of windows 7), still no help. I find out that when I launch CMUD, and press alt+tab, I can switch to CMUD window, but when press win+Tab (3D shift mode), I can't see CMUD window in 3D mode. Does this give any clue for what is going on?
miqing
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:09 pm   

I also disabled Flip 3D function, and still no explorer windows pop-up.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:55 pm   

Ok... try this. Close CMUD and back up your CMUD folder under My Document\My Games (I'm assuming you took the default install location).

After backing up, edit the cmud.ini file using a text editor. Notepad should be fine. Go "[zMUDImport]" and then set the properties Top and Left to be less the 800 and 1200 respectively. Setting each to 100 should be fine. Save the changes then launch CMUD and re-attempt the zMUD import.
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:17 pm   

Zugg said CMUD folder must be installed under My Document\My Game path in Vista, so I assume this also applies to windows 7.

I did as what you said. But the outcome is still the same. I just want to make sure you understand what I am describing. I can see zMUD import window, but when I press browse button to locate the folder, no explorer window shows up (and now the import windows can't be closed, so I believe the explorer window is shown up, but just not in the scree or off focus). This is the same when try to action->execute script, import xml or export to xml (in trigger/alias editing window).

Again, thank you so much for your help, Tech. Very Happy
miqing
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:32 pm   

OK, I just tried dual-screen (duplication or extension, both were tried). Sadly, explorer windows doesn't show up in 2nd screen.

Now I just wonder where because I am using a tablet PC (thinkpad x201t).

Does anyone play CMUD with a tablet PC here?
miqing
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:04 am   

I made some progress. I changed the compatibility settings: disable visual theme. Now the difference is: when I click browse during import from zMUD, still no explorer window pop-up, but I can press close to close current window and close CMUD. Before I will stuck at that window with Browse and Close/Next buttons, and have to close CMUD in task manager.

I tried and combined other settings in compatibility menu (different OS or disable desktop composition or disable display scale on high DPI settings), made no difference.

So...any possible problems on mind?
miqing
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:13 pm   

Hi zugg, do you have any suggestions? I think it might caused by something related to tablet.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:34 pm   

I'll close the email thread that I answered this morning so we can just keep this issue on the forums. I didn't make the connection between your email issue and this post.

I agree that it's probably something about the tablet. Unfortunately I don't know what to do about it. I don't handle the Windows Explorer popup myself...I just call the Windows API that is supposed to display this dialog and return a file path. So I can't think of anything I might do to fix or change this.

I have no way to test CMUD on a tablet myself. I can't even imagine what they might have changed on a tablet to cause this. If it's Windows 7 then it should just work. CMUD definitely works fine on normal Windows 7. Thousands of users on that. But tablets are pretty new, so you might not find many people to help with this.

Can you verify that this problem happens on other File/Open windows? For example, click on the Edit Session and then click the Browse button for the icon image file. Does it have the same problem? Or in the Settings Editor you can do a File/Open to try and open another script package.
miqing
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:44 am   

Zugg wrote:
Can you verify that this problem happens on other File/Open windows? For example, click on the Edit Session and then click the Browse button for the icon image file. Does it have the same problem? Or in the Settings Editor you can do a File/Open to try and open another script package.

Thank you so much, Zugg. I checked all windows explorer window related operations, and none of them worked. Even for browsing icon image file (in session editing) or Settings->file->open, I just press the button, but nothing response and no windows pop-up.

I tried to disable tablet input service (small panel for input with tablet pen) and tablet service (I don't know what for), no thing changed in CMUD.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:20 pm   

When you do the action of opening the file explorer window is CMUD non responsive, can you no longer click back on to CMUD and use it/close it? If this is the case then the modal box is actually opening but under the CMUD window and there is no way to change the order. When we first started using Windows 7 here at work we had issues from time to time with this but it seems to have gone away which would suggest a Windows update fixed it. Is your tablet fully patched.

If CMUD is still responsive then it sounds like the API call is failing which could mean it needs a different API call. When you do a file open in a different application does the window look completely different from what you would expect on normal Windows 7?
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:17 pm   

At the very beginning, CMUD is not responsive (cann't go back or close) when I try to open file explorer window, so I have to close CMUD in task manager. But later, I disabled visual theme (this configuration is at the same place where you choose to run as administrator), CMUD is not non-responsive anymore. I can go back or close it as normal, but just no explorer windows show up. And yes, my tablet is fully patched, automatically updated.

I don't feel file opening in other application (such as MS office) shows any difference from other windows 7 system.

Thanks for your reply, Taz.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:36 pm   

It sounds like they were indeed modal and popping under the CMUD window, it also sounds like disabling visual themes has stopped certain windows being modal hence you're able to go back to CMUD.

I wonder now that you have response from CMUD if you minimize it if the file open dialog stays on sreen, it might not as it will probably get minimized along with CMUD. You could instead try making the main CMUD window very small and see if the dialog is there under it.
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:40 pm   

Taz wrote:
You could instead try making the main CMUD window very small and see if the dialog is there under it.

Actually you could give that a go before opening the file explorer dialog, make the main CMUD window as small as is possible and use menu keyboard shortcuts to open the dialog.

I mainly want to know if the dialog ever actually opens.
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:56 pm   

Ok I just tested the disable visual themes thing and in fact the dialog never actually opens when that option is on.

Turn it off and have a go at what I suggested, make the main CMUD window as small as it goes, not the session window, close that, don't open a session. Then with CMUD focused press Ctrl-L, you should get the "Append to log" file save dialog on screen.

It should look like but if I'm right about pop under the main CMUD window will all be fully on top of the dialog.
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:19 pm   

Thank you so much, Taz. I really appreciate what you have done for me.

I just did what you showed above, and make the main CMUD windows very small and focused, and press Ctrl+L, but still no windows pop-up. But I am sure something is happening, since the mouse cursor turn to a small circle for about 0.5-1 sec, which means some application try to launch.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:16 pm   

Make sure you have gone back and turned on themeing and turned off any compatibility options for CMUD. I know that Windows uses the theme and compatibility options to determine which File/Open dialog to display. It's actually always been one of the annoyances I have with Microsoft...they are always releasing new "improved" versions of the File/Open/Save dialog with each version of Windows.

At the application layer (like in CMUD) I just call the Windows API to open the built-in File/Open dialog. Windows then determines which dialog to actually display based on various system settings and theme settings. For example, if CMUD did not tell Windows that it supported the theme system, then Windows would open an older Win95-like version of the File/Open. So it can get complicated and confusing.

However, I don't understand how CMUD would be any different in this operating than something simple like Notepad. Never run into this before.

You might try posting a question to the Thinkpad tablet forums to see if anybody else has run into this with any other applications. Maybe there is a workaround or some sort of registry edit that is needed on the tablet.
Fizgar
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:50 pm   

I don't have a tablet to play with and test this on, but it may be of use so I'll share anyway. There is a program you can download called AutoIt (it's free). The program allows you to use scripts to interact with things like windows, without ever having to click on them. If you had this program, and the mouse coordinates for the top left hand corner of your screen were 0, 0 (there is a small tool included in the program that will let you check that those values are correct.). If you put the line below into a text editor or the SciTE Script Editor that comes with the program and saved it as a .au3 file. When you double clicked that .au3 file, the explorer window that is missing when you click File-> Import from zMUD -> Browse, should be moved to the top left corner of your screen, if it is open. Once you get the window where you can manipulate it, and close it and CMUD normally, the position should be saved and remembered next time you wish to open it.

AutoIt Download link: http://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/downloads/

Code that would move the explorer window:
Code:
WinMove ("Locate ZMUD.EXE file", "", 0, 0)

AutoIt is about 32MB installed, and scripts can be made portable. If you have AutoIt on your desktop and write a script there that you wish to use on your tablet, there is an included utility that will compile the .au3 script file into a .exe that can be run from any PC without needing to have the AutoIt program installed.
CMUD 3.34
miqing
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:13 pm   

I wanna say thank you to every who helped me in this thread. Thank you for your great patience and help. I tried everything you guys mentioned, but none of them worked. So, I guess lets just ignore this, and don't pay more time on this. I can use my old laptop or my desktop to run CMUD. Let's have fun with MUD instead of something complicated.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:26 am   

Did you do my test after putting the CMUD shortcut back to normal? I discovered that with visual themes disabled no dialogs opened.
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:41 am   

Taz wrote:
Did you do my test after putting the CMUD shortcut back to normal? I discovered that with visual themes disabled no dialogs opened.

Yes, I did. Based on what you and Zugg said, now I know the reason why CMUD is responsive when I disable visual theme, it is because CMUD fail to call explorer windows, right?
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:34 pm   

Yes exactly.

I guess once you go back to the normal shortcut and small window and you press Ctrl-L you get an unresponsive CMUD and no file explorer dialog?

If you also do the AutoIt test while having pressed Ctrl-L you will need to use WinMove("Append to log", "", 0, 0) instead of WinMove("Locate ZMUD.EXE file", "", 0, 0)

As you end up with an unresponsive CMUD then it has to be that the dialog has been created as it has gone MODAL and isn't allowing you to go back to the main CMUD window. That dialog has to be somewhere, our problem is finding out where.
Adept

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:26 am   

I know this thread might be dead, but I have 2 small pieces of input for it.

First of all, when you get the dialog box to open, can you press <windows key>+space,m,<arrow key> and then try moving the mouse / pointer around on the screen? The dialog box should lock to your pointer when you do that.

Secondly, I've experienced cMud Pro 3.34 windows popping over other windows even when it doesn't have focus quite a bit on Win7 x64 fully patched, so I don't think this is necessarily a tablet-specific issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: