Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
orphean
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:38 pm   

[3.33a] Slow Walking and Aardwolf

I prefer to use slow walking whenever possible and have had it working fine on Aardwolf in the past. I've recently started to play Aard again and I've hit a problem. When I initiate a slow walk (by double-clicking the destination room in Follow mode in the mapper) I will move 3-4 rooms and just stop. I'm not at my destination and weirdly the slow walk doesn't abort, it just stops entirely. When I #step nothing happens.

So originally I thought it might have been a trigger or something causing the issue. In a completely blank new session I can get the same behavior repeatedly:

* Create blank session and connect to Aardwolf using it.
    * Open the Mapper and enter Map mode, click cancel on the configuration dialog.
    * Map a bit, enter Follow mode, and try to slow walk. It should work fine.
    * Enter Map mode again, the configuration dialog will open, proceede with configuration.
    * Try to slow walk, does not work, problem exhibited.
    * Open the Mapper configuration and uncheck everything in the configuration tab.
    * Try to slow walk, same issue.

I've tried other things too like starting a new session and then configuring the map immediately and see the same problem. The only time I don't see it is when I don't configure the map at all, but that brings up the configuration dialog everytime I enter Map mode.

I know there are some Aard players on here, are any of you seeing this behavior? Any way to fix it?
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:09 am   

Slow walking doesn't work with GMCP.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:04 am   

Welp that explains that. Is that intentional or is it going to be compatible someday?
orphean
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:19 am   

Don't want to keep harping on this but not having slow walk is killing me! If I can't use gmcp to slow walk is there a way I can make the mapper ignore it entirely and go back to the old trigger and #tag method?
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:52 pm   

You can try adjusting your package inclusions for GMCP so that you no longer have the "room 1" in the list. This might allow Aard to stop sending the room info while still allowing for the rest of GMCP to be supported, but I'm not sure if CMud is that modular (ie, "if GMCP = checked" instead of "if GMCP = checked and packages has room 1"). Might be that to turn off GMCP support in the mapper you have to turn off GMCP support, period.

Any reason why you don't just use safe mode, though? Safe mode works like a champ with GMCP and speedwalking.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:57 pm   

Yeah Safe mode works fine. I just hate having all the directions stacked in the server queue if something happens on the way. That's why I've typically used Slow since there's no stacking at all, if I get into a fight or something webs me or something I can just #pause, kill, and #step.

I'd still like to know if this is a design decision with the Mapper/GMCP or a problem that's going to fixed at some point.

Edit: For what's it's worth Slow speedwalking is still listed as the preferred and most useful mode in the documentation. So I can't be the only one who prefers Slow mode Wink
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:11 pm   

Slow-walking *is* supposed to work with GMCP. I test it on IRE MUDs, so I'll try to check it on Aardwolf to see what is different.

Also, where in the documentation does it say that Slow mode is the preferred mode? It is supposed to say that Safe mode is the preferred.
orphean
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:40 am   

It's in Feature Reference->Automapper Module->Speedwalking with the Map->

Code:
Slow speedwalking is very similar to Safe speedwalking, except that movement commands are sent one at a time. [b]This is the most useful and most recommended way to speedwalk[/b] because the Slow Walk timeout can be used to abort a speedwalk in the middle, as can the #PAUSE and #STOP commands You can also send other commands in the middle of the walk. For example, if you encounter a monster and start fighting it, you would use #PAUSE, and then continue when done fighting using the #STEP command.

I agree with the statement! Smile Guess you've changed your mind over time.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:50 pm   

Updated it to say "most flexible way to speedwalk" since I thing that's what I originally intended. Never changed my mind, but when you write a lot of documentation sometimes my brain gets confused ;)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: