Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
nojathon
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:10 am   

Cmud long load time, hangs, need help

I'm having a real hard time contemplating that fact that Cmud actually takes THIS long to load. I'm used to Cmud loading real fast (10 seconds). I used it all during the trial and I've recently purchased it. It always loaded fast. Now it hangs and takes forever to load, where did this come from? I don't recall it ever being this slow. I have only set up about 10 triggers and aliases, and that's about it.

This is frustrating because it takes a good 3 minutes to load it up. Yes, 3 minutes. It hangs my computer. I'm unable to click on other things while I wait for it load. I've tried all the usual remedies, including rebooting and uninstalling and reinstalling. I've cleaned my registry and done all of the virus scan/cookie cleanup stuff. Nothing works. I have cmud on my laptop as well, it takes about 15 seconds to load. Still long, but much more manageable. Zmud is an instantaneous load on both my comps. Left 4 dead 2 loads in about 10 seconds, Fallout 3 takes about 12 seconds. Cmud takes 3 minutes??????

What can I do so it stops hanging my comp?

I have a Core 2 duo 8400, 8 gigs ram, vid card, 10000 rpm harddrive (50 gigs left), Norton (NIS) 2011 (disabled and enabled), cmud 3.33. I have a cpu clock on my comp and it isn't taking any cpu power, yet I hang?

Help!
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:45 pm   

At which stage is this occurring? The initial splash screen and window, or when you click on a session?
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:20 am   

I have noticed an issue here as well. This just recently (within the past few weeks) started occuring. For me it is at the splash screen, and my hard drives are working very hard, but the CPU is not pegged. It takes almost a full minute to load, used to load in about 10 seconds. On one occasion CMUD finished loading but the splash screen remained open. Once it opens everything seems to work normally.

CMUD 3.33a

I suspect this started happening after either a windows update or a Java update. Does CMUD use Java at all?
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:06 am   

No CMUD does not use Java.

There is less dependency on components build into Windows than there used to be so it is less likely that an update will have a deleterious effect but certainly not beyond the realms of possibility.
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:21 am   

It's when I first double click the cmud icon to open it. I double click it, nothing happens, but I know something is going on because I can move the mouse but can't click anything. After a minute or 2, the splash screen pops up and even that takes a minute (or less, but still annoyingly long) to get through. Once it opens, everything works, but I dread accidentally closing the whole program.

windows 7 64 bit
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:34 pm   

Not seeing anything like this at all on my Win7 64-bit system here. Is it possible that an update to your anti-virus software has done something to cause this? Like something is scanning the EXE file and getting hung up on the copy protection or something.

If you see the splash screen, then it's probably not an anti-virus issue. If the delay happens when you see the splash screen, then it sounds more like a problem reading your session database file (SESSIONS.DB and SESSIONKEYS.DB). These are both SQLite 3 database files. So maybe there is something corrupted in your SQLITE3.DLL file that comes with CMUD?

Have you tried deleting your C:\Program Files\CMUD directory and then reinstalling CMUD?

You could try deleting (after making a backup) the SESSIONS.DB and SESSIONKEYS.DB files in your "My Documents\My Games\CMUD" directory and let CMUD create new files. This will lose all of your session icons, but your *.PKG script files will remain. At worse you'd need to create new session icons and enter the MUD hostnames and port numbers again, and then point the session to your previous package files.

But it sounds like nojathon and abascom are having 2 different problems. If the delay happens *before* the splash screen, then it's a problem with your anti-virus software or some other security software on your computer that is interfering with CMUD. If the delay happens *after* the splash screen, then it's more likely an SQLite database problem of some kind.

The really odd thing is that CMUD and zMUD use the same kind of copy protection, so the delay should happen in both CMUD and zMUD if it's an anti-virus issue.
nojathon
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:57 pm   

The delay happens before the splash screen.

I have disabled my anti-virus (NIS 2011), rebooted, and the problem remains.

However, the 5th time I uninstalled it, I decided to delete everything. Sessions, left-over folders the uninstall didn't delete, the Mygames->Cmud folder (like you suggested above), everything. I then reinstalled it in a different folder besides Program Files. Like I said, I only had about 10 triggers, so I didn't lose too much.

Now it works like it's old self. I double click it and up it loads, fast like it should and no delay to splash screen.
abascom
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:49 am   

Looks like you solved both in 1 post!

I disabled my antivirus temporarily and CMUD loaded quickly once again. A recent update to Norton must have cause it. I'm using the Norton Security Suite.

I'll edit this post once I figure out how to make Norton ignore CMUD in case anyone else is having this same issue.
nojathon
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:53 am   

Scratch my previous post. I can confirm that it's my antivirus (Norton Internet Suite 2011) that is causing the delay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: