Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:59 pm   

[edit][/edit]

[edit][/edit]

Last edited by Myrkul on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:04 pm   

No. One of the features (requested by users!) that the new mapper provides is that it continues to track your location, even if the mapper window is closed. Moving on the mapper should not cause significant lag--perhaps it would be better to determine what is causing your lag? An alternative would be to use speedwalk mode instead of safe or slow walk. And you can set your walk mode in scripts, so you could switch with the same triggers or aliase you are using.
Myrkul
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:08 pm   

[edit][/edit]

bothkill
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:17 pm   

CMUD used to behave like Follow mode in Off mode while in Beta.
Right now (3.33a) it's ok i.e. in Off mode, the Mapper doesn't track the mud movements.
Myrkul
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:20 pm   

[edit][/edit]

bothkill
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:21 pm   

What mud you're playing?
Myrkul
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:23 pm   

[edit][/edit]

mose
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:32 am   

CMUDPro 3.33a also sometimes, but not always, tracks my movements when the mapper is off. Off means it should be doing nothing. If I attempt to look at another zone while the mapper is off and I am moving, the mapper will annoyingly flip back to the zone where I am moving.
Myrkul
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:06 pm   

[edit][/edit]

Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:20 pm   

Could you explain why you want the mapper to not know where you are? Most people have requested that the mapper always keep track of you.
bothkill
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:41 pm   

I have to agree with Myrkul.
There are cases when I don't want the mapper to track my movements, because the Mapper couldn't possibly follow me all the time where I am in the mud.

Two examples:

One:
I am in a party at starting point.
The party leader leads the party to areas I don't know (before leaving I switch Map to Off mode) and I am told once in a while to move to several directions (to avoid mobs, traps etc.).
When the leaders finishes the raid and all the party is back to the starting point I want to switch to Map Follow mode.
If I wouldn't have switched to Map Off mode before that party raid began, the movements I made during the party raid would had messed my location and while in reality I would be back to the starting point, the Mapper would show me other location.

Two:
I enter (from starting point) an area with random exits.
Before entering the area I switch to Map Off mode at starting point.
After I'm done with that area and I'm out of it back to the starting point, I switch to Map Follow mode.
Fizgar
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:01 pm   

On my system, when I click the red X to turn the mapper off. It's semi off in the fact that it won't send custom exit or run room scripts, but it does track your movement. That sounds like what the previous posters are experiencing, but do not want to happen. Fear not! There is a very simple solution to this. The button below when toggled on will store your current map location in a variable, then when toggled back off, it will set your location to the room number stored in the variable.

The button:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
<cmud>
  <button type="Toggle" autosize="false" width="80" height="23" priority="2120" copy="yes">
    <caption>Turn map off</caption>
    <value>off_position = %roomnum
</value>
    <button>
      <caption>Turn map on</caption>
      <value>#loc @off_Position</value>
    </button>
  </button>
</cmud>

So you click the red x in the mapper to turn it off and then toggle the button above on. Move around where ever you want to. When you return to the room you turned the mapper off in, you turn the mapper back on and toggle the button above off.

This button will also solve the problem of the mapper switching back to the zone you were in if moving while looking at another zone too, with a small edit.

The edit:
1. Add a room to your map with no exits in any zone (remember the number of this new room).
2. Add #LOC the room number you are remembering to the "Turn map off" state of the button AFTER this line "off_position = %roomnum".

Now when you toggle the button on, the room number you are in will be added to the variable, your location will be set to the new room with no exits, and you can move as you want. When you return to the starting room simply toggle the button back off and your position will be reset.

**EDIT**
I don't play on any MUD's that use GMCP so that could cause a problem I guess, but I don't think it will.
CMUD 3.34
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:28 pm   

Bothkill: neither of your situations could happen in a mud with GMCP. The mapper _cannot_ put you in the wrong room because the GMCP information automatically tells the mapper what room you are in.

I can imagine some situations where mapping is difficult that you might want to turn the mapper off. But with GMCP, that simply is not a problem.
Fizgar
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:31 pm   

I found a MUD that uses GMCP and the button example I provided = fail, so ignore that post I guess.
CMUD 3.34
mose
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:18 am   

I want off to mean off so that I can look at other zones when I am on a run. Instead, the mapper automatically switches back to the starting zone on movement.
bothkill
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:44 am   

Rahab wrote:
Bothkill: neither of your situations could happen in a mud with GMCP. The mapper _cannot_ put you in the wrong room because the GMCP information automatically tells the mapper what room you are in.

I can imagine some situations where mapping is difficult that you might want to turn the mapper off. But with GMCP, that simply is not a problem.

There's no such thing as GMCP on the mud I'm playing.

mose wrote:
I want off to mean off so that I can look at other zones when I am on a run. Instead, the mapper automatically switches back to the starting zone on movement.

I agree. OFF should mean OFF.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:20 pm   

Bothkill, I was asking the person who had initially posted the issue, who does use GMCP. Since you are not experiencing any problem, and the problem only occurs if you are using GMCP, the issues you bring up do not exist.

However, being able to look at another zone while you are moving and the mapper is updating is a legitimate issue. I can't test this here right now--does it still jump back even if the Recenter option is turned off? If it does, I would consider it a bug. What I would like is an easy way to turn that Recenter on and off.
Myrkul
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:50 pm   

[edit][/edit]

Last edited by Myrkul on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Erasmus
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:23 pm   

Quote:

But really, the reason I don't want it to know where I am is not important.

Actually, I think it is important. As an Aardwolf player, who will hopefully get around to using GMCP one day, I think it's an advantage to have the map keep track of your current position regardless of what map mode you are in.

I will agree with the idea though that when the map position is off, and GMCP is enabled for mapping it would be nice if the screen didn't automatically recenter and refresh while the mapper kept track of your room behind the scenes. Not sure if it's possible though. When the mapper is set back to follow mode recenter would be reenabled, and the map automatically refreshed.
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:30 pm   

Rahab wrote:
What I would like is an easy way to turn that Recenter on and off.

I like that idea. I have looked through the menus to see if there is a way to turn it off. Recenter is quite annoying, because it doesn't always center. It moves the current location into one of the 4 quadrants (upper right, upper left, lower right, lower left), and then you can't see very much of the map where you are running. Sometimes it moves the current location right to the edge of the window, which doesn't seem like it should ever do, either. It should always be at least a minimum percentage away from the edge of the window, perhaps 10% or 20% of the displayed width and height so that you can see what's around you instead of guessing what's beyond the window edge. If I don't want the map to move, my current solution is to zoom out far enough that the mapper doesn't move the map around.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:40 pm   

Mose, if you are having that problem, click Zone|Refresh. It means that the mapper has not correctly updated the boundaries of your map, and this will fix that.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:56 pm   

I'll add this to the bug list so that GMCP is ignored when the mapper is off.
mose
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:24 am   

Thanks for the tip, Rahab. Doing Zone|Refresh seems to help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: