Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Fizgar
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:01 pm   

Feature Request: Mapper, setting doors to locked.

You can set a link between two rooms to be a door, or be a one way exit by right clicking the link in the mapper. It would be a great, time saving feature if you added the ability to set the door to locked or unlocked as well with the right click menu.
CMUD 3.34
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:22 pm   

I was thinking of something along those lines too. What I run into a lot is that sometimes doors will be open, sometimes closed, sometimes locked, sometimes unlocked. I don't what would be most optimal, but I'd be curious what other people do to manage this.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:09 pm   

Well, it needs to be a more general=purpose solution. What makes a door "locked" in CMUD is just a custom Exit Type. You can create your own exit types with their own graphics in zMapper. I just created one with a filled-in door shape and called it "Locked Door". So I'd rather implement a way in the future to let you select *any* custom exit type, rather than just a Locked/Unlocked checkbox.

In any case, I'm not adding more features right now. You'll need to wait a few months for the next beta cycle to begin. And I probably won't work on the mapper again until after all of the hard Unicode conversion work. So it will be a while, sorry.
Fizgar
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:41 am   

I see. I didn't realize that development was going to be put on hold since there are still bugs popping up. I just figured you were pushing to get a public version out since the last public version will be 2 years old at the end of the month and there would be no reason for people to renew their license. I might give zmapper a look but having to export the map to a different format load it into zmapper and then export back to the current CMUD format is more trouble than just opening the properties window up and clicking on the door locked field. Also I fail to see how using zmapper will allow me to interact with the map directly. But I've never used it so I could be wrong there. Maybe through COM and the Pro version but there was no need for me to get the Pro version when I purchased CMUD so I didn't. I was simply suggesting adding something that would have made sense, to have been there already since you give the options for making a door or one way exit with the right click. When you do go back to working on CMUD maybe a simpler solution would be modifying the #door command allowing the user to set it to locked or unlocked by adding a 0 or 1 after the exit direction followed by the name.

Code:
#door n
Would default to 0 - unlocked.

Code:
#door n 1
Would create a locked door to the north.

Code:
#door n gate
Would create a door north with the name gate

Code:
#door n 1 gate
Would create a locked door north with the name gate.

With this method the user wouldn't even have to click on the mapper they could simply have an alias set up which would create a door in the direction specified that would be locked. I actually like this idea better than having the option added to the right click menu. Also you wouldn't have to factor in the general purpose bit because the command specifically creates a door. Maybe I will upgrade to the pro version when my license is up for renewal if I'm still kicking and am able to loosen my belt a little. and give that a try combined with zmapper.

Ok, so I just downloaded the trial of zmapper. I haven't even used the program yet, but I did take a peek at the COM objects accessible in it. Other than the LoadMap object I can access everything else it offers object wise through my standard copy of CMUD. I guess this gives me a reason to continue messing with COM stuff.
CMUD 3.34
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:53 pm   

Quote:
I didn't realize that development was going to be put on hold since there are still bugs popping up.

Umm, that's not what I said. Obviously I'm still going to be fixing bugs. Just no new features in 3.x. New features will go into 4.x. I'm certainly not putting "development on hold". But there are lots of other priorities for things to be done in v4.x other than more mapper stuff. Like Unicode support for all of those people who cannot use CMUD at all right now.

I wasn't suggesting that you needed to run zMapper. What I was trying to explain is that a "locked door" is more complicated than just a simple toggle. The mapper can have any number of custom exit types. The Locked Door is just one of the default exit types. Any changes to the #door command or user interface needs to consider that other people might have added additional exit types. I have to take into consideration the more general case of exit types, such as adding a list of currently defined exit types to the right-click menu so you can select Normal, Door, Locked Door, etc (along with any custom exit types the player might have defined).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: