Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
darmir
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:32 pm   

Package Library Requests

I just went the package library and noticed that there is quite a few packages that are:
1) Have a bogus title like Test
2) Do not have any description.

Can we get the package Library cleaned up! One thing I would like to see is if the name is just test then remove it. Also if the description of the package is empty remove it.
I think the description field should be a mandatory field and you can't upload a package without any description and check to see if the title of the package has the word test in it.

Another feature I would like to know can the package library upload images as part of a package. Say I have a set of buttons that I want to be an available package and I use an image for the button display. Does the image get uploaded too?

One feature I would like to see is the ability to see who has downloaded my packages. This would help me with creating new packages and who maybe interested in new features which they can make comments on it....
I see a lot of possibilities with the library but I don't think it is promoted like it should be.

Another feature is giving the author the ability to make it so that you can pay them for it and part of the payment goes directly to Zugg!
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:04 pm   

You can't upload any images, or any other files outside of the *.pkg file. Allowing that kind of feature is difficult because of the potential abuse with putting viruses into the library, etc. Not necessarily with just images, but with other files. I recommend putting a URL in your description pointing to your images hosted on some other web site.

Getting a list of people who have downloaded your package is a privacy issue. It's also not something that the web site database currently tracks, and keeping track of exactly who has each package would be a big job. So this is not likely to ever be added. Again, I suggest having an "opt-in" link in your description for a mailing list or newletter for people who are interested in hearing about updates.

Paid packages are something I have thought about, but will have to wait until I get a web-based interface to the package library working on the new zuggsoft.com web site. I probably won't get to that for a while though since there is still a huge amount of work involved in updating this web site. The new tessh.com web site is acting as my test-bed for the new web site. But there is still a lot of work before I'll have the package library available on it.

As far as cleaning up the library, I'll try to get around to that. I've just been swamped with work trying to get the public release out and will probably still be fixing bugs for a few more weeks.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:05 pm   

Btw, please remember to start posting back in the CMUD General Forum. I'll be paying less and less attention to this beta forum over the next few weeks.
darmir
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:35 pm   

Zugg wrote:
You can't upload any images, or any other files outside of the *.pkg file. Allowing that kind of feature is difficult because of the potential abuse with putting viruses into the library, etc. Not necessarily with just images, but with other files. I recommend putting a URL in your description pointing to your images hosted on some other web site.

Great idea about posting a URL in the description. I'll do that.

Zugg wrote:
Getting a list of people who have downloaded your package is a privacy issue. It's also not something that the web site database currently tracks, and keeping track of exactly who has each package would be a big job. So this is not likely to ever be added. Again, I suggest having an "opt-in" link in your description for a mailing list or newletter for people who are interested in hearing about updates.

Again another better idea of using the link in the description for a mailing list or newsletter... Any suggestions on a service for free that will do this for me?

Zugg wrote:
Paid packages are something I have thought about, but will have to wait until I get a web-based interface to the package library working on the new zuggsoft.com web site. I probably won't get to that for a while though since there is still a huge amount of work involved in updating this web site. The new tessh.com web site is acting as my test-bed for the new web site. But there is still a lot of work before I'll have the package library available on it.

As far as cleaning up the library, I'll try to get around to that. I've just been swamped with work trying to get the public release out and will probably still be fixing bugs for a few more weeks.

Any possibility of making the description field mandatory in the next version of CMUD library?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:18 pm   

I've used MailChimp for newsletters in the past and like it. It's different than most competitors in that instead of charging an ongoing monthly fee, they only charge for the number of actual email messages you send. I believe they are even free for small mailing lists. Since I only email newsletters once a year or so, this was a lot cheaper for me.
darmir
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:01 pm   

Zugg wrote:
I've used MailChimp for newsletters in the past and like it. It's different than most competitors in that instead of charging an ongoing monthly fee, they only charge for the number of actual email messages you send. I believe they are even free for small mailing lists. Since I only email newsletters once a year or so, this was a lot cheaper for me.

Thanks for the information Zugg. I do have a email that I can use on a friends site called http://nerdtopia.com I am in the process of redesigning the site offline. I could use that email for a newsletter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: