Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
XonDK
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:31 pm   

[3.30] crashes, memory leak and lockup(no crash debug). Locating them...

As I wrote before I'm having severe memoryleaks and lockups on my aetolia system that seem to happen at random, I was wondering if anyone knows a way to debug it better then line by line?

I'd like to say that after years of using zmud and cmud, that I have a good experience in its scripts, but for the life of me I can't seem to find the logical explanation for these crashes memoryleaks and locking up

the only errors I get in compatibility is

[] immediate evaluation syntax no longer used

which occurs in triggers I use ~[ ~] with quote turned on, to use them as characters and not evaluation
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:03 pm   

I don't know either. It sounds like the same issue as the other thread. I don't have any compatibility errors though. I just have to kill the process in the Task Manager when it happens. What bugs me is I haven't really had many problems at all other than what I have reported and nothing like this happened until the last couple of versions. I would really like to discover the problem and discover whether it is something I am doing or maybe something Cmud is doing to get it cleared up. However, since you are having the same problem I am not so sure it is something I am doing.
XonDK
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:01 pm   

Error: Access Violation at 0x024F24C4 (tried to write to 0.01CF0FF0), program terminated.

that's all I get when it decides to lock up and eat massive amounts of ram
XonDK
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:14 pm   

update: seems...vaguely related to %pop?

at least that is the common factor according to the script debugger when I run it side by side and it crashes, the last trigger that runs is something with pop in it.

in this case the trigger commands are:

#CW 2
#PCOL 6 %x1
#PCOL 6 %x2
#SAYADD %ansi(13)~(%pop(dhurvenoms)%ansi(13)~)

oldguy2? do you use %pop?
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:42 pm   

I need to figure out yet still what my memory leak problem is, considering that I got to 1.04 GB of memory usage last night... As far as %pop goes, I do use it in a few places... Hadn't thought of that.

The problem we face now is finding a reproducible script that will expose the memory leak. The one I just tested did nothing to my memory usage.

Charneus
XonDK
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:31 pm   

Is there no way to see what takes up that much memory in cmud other then taskmanager? which only tells cmud's memory usage as a whole, which I could see it per trigger or similar.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:43 pm   

Unfortunately, there isn't any other way to monitor the memory usage. When I'm doing testing in my debug versions, I am always running a 3rd party component that checks for memory leaks and such, and it hasn't been reporting any problems. So it's got to be some sort of script that is using something my own test scripts don't.

I really need all of your help with this. Since there seem to be at least 3 of you who can get this to happen at some point, please try to spend the next week or so trying to come up with a test script or pin down the problem in your own scripts. Unfortunately, using the script debugger, #debug statements, enabling/disabling triggers, etc is really the only way to debug this.

But if you can come up with a way to show the problem before I get back from my trip then I'll be able to fix it for the public version. Otherwise I'm very nervous about making a public version if this is happening to several people still.

Things to try: Try running without GMCP enabled to see if that is the cause. Look for anything related to copying large string lists or database variables. Or stuff like %pop which use lists/tables and might be related to the newer json parser code. Try putting code within #loops to see if you can force them to take more memory than they should. Always use Ctrl-Q to fill the scrollback buffer with text so that you are not just seeing memory increases due to CMUD allocating new lines on the screen, and keep the scrollback buffer down to about 1000 lines or so.
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:34 pm   

Actually XonDk I do use %pop extensively during the time it happens. I have a list I repopulate once it pops everything off the list and recycles. But I don't think that is the cause. I really don't know what the problem is.

Edit: Actually I was walking through this and watching the debug window and it hung right exactly after calling the function that executes %pop. It sent the CPU to 100% and CMUD just closed out with no error or anything. It just does this randomly though. I am trying to figure out what is causing it. It just happened twice.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:24 pm   

You might add some #debug statements to print out the %json value of the variable you are %popping. It's possible it only crashes or hangs on a specific value, or maybe on a null list or something.
XonDK
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:22 pm   

It is defintly pop and push that conflict somewhere, I've removed and replaced them with delnitem and haven't replaced push yet, but will find a way to make it work, maybe it is like oldguy2 says, push and pop conflicting, trying to work at the same time?

fact is though that removing them stopped the crashing

Last edited by XonDK on Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:46 pm   

Don't think it's that, XonDK, as I don't use push in any of my scripts. I'll try your method of using %delnitem, though.

Charneus
XonDK
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:04 pm   

maybe its just pop that's messing up then?
XonDK
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:22 pm   

does anyone have any clue how to locate the crash bugs, its 'really' getting frustrating since it comes randomly.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:14 pm   

Been trying to work on it.

I think I'm going to run #DEBUGFILE crash.txt crash.raw and see when it actually stops working. Maybe the answer will be found there (at least for the crashes. For the memory leak, that'll be a different story...)

Charneus
XonDK
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:43 pm   

I hope you find it, I will try running a #DEBUGFILE as well and see if I can catch it
XonDK
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:54 am   

It would seem that with the latest cmud 3.31, _my_ bug has gone bye bye...

yay :)
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:30 am   

Lucky you.

I still need to find mine. Was playing last night and got all the way up to 750MB before I had to shut it down...
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:01 am   

Quote:

Was playing last night and got all the way up to 750MB before I had to shut it down...

I don't even have to shut it down for mine. CMud just ends up writing itself out of memory completely (entire app and all). I suspect it's a threading issue, but it's something other than anything involving #WAIT or explicit threading commands, and probably conceived by data corruption to boot.

It's interesting to look at, but damn if I can wrest ANY info about it out of CMud...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:32 pm   

Strangely, mine only seems to lock up when I load the mapper... It can cope with my scripting, just not the maps.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:42 pm   

Throckman, your problem sounds different from the others reported in this thread. You should make a new thread describing exactly what problem you are seeing. Give as much detail as you can.

[edit] If you do make a new thread, please post it in the General forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: