Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Fizgar
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:30 am   

[3.30] %quote() not quoting $ and @ characters.

This mud I'm on right now uses $ for prompt variables. While adding an alias to switch prompts depending on what I am doing I noticed this. Rather than going through and quoting out each $ one by one I figured I would use %quote().

Code:
#show {~$h}

quotes the $ and displays
Code:
$h

to the screen just like that.

Code:
#show {%quote($h)}

That returns an error pop up saying that h is an invalid local variable.

The help file for %quote states
Quote:
Returns the string s with any special characters quoted with the current quote character

I guess since there is no option to change the special character for local variables in preferences the $ is not considered a special character?

However, if I type:
Code:
#show {%quote(@H)}

on the command only a blank line is displayed rather than @H being displayed as if i had typed
Code:
#show {~@H}

Unless I am misunderstanding the use of %quote() this seems buggy.

On a side note. In the help file for %quote() there is a link to a page for special characters that when clicked points to a non existent help article.
CMUD 3.34
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:02 pm   

It would seem to me that %quote takes variable arguments and is working as intended, however if you used %quote("$h") I imagine it would work just fine.
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:06 pm   

Ok from the Conversion help topic.

Code:
%quote(s)
Returns string s with any special characters escaped with quote character

I still say something is messed up here.

Code:
#show {%quote(@H)}

The above command does not show @H but rather a blank line so the quote function obviously isn't escaping the @ as the help file says it should.

Perhaps once the %quote() function is corrected the issue with $ will be resolved too.

*edit*
Hit submit rather than preview. :( Yeah #show {"$H"} works, but the point of the post was to report the bug with %quote so if it wasn't on the list it could be added.
CMUD 3.34
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:48 pm   

I just tried this in zMUD and it's works the same way. The %quote function can take a variable input, and when received will quote the contents of said variable.

Without the quotes, around @H or $j, CMUD necessarily interpret as a variable and not a string.
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:33 pm   

Code:

<alias name="test_q" id="162">
  <value>$h="This is $h"
#show {Test 1 $h}
#show {Test 2 %quote($h)}
#show {Test 3 %quote("$h")}</value>
</alias>

Is %quote supposed to surround it in quotes? I'm not noticing any issues other than that, seems to be working just fine. As Tech said, and I mentioned earlier, %quote expands variables in its parameters. This means that $h is being seen as a local variable and it's attempting to expand it, this works with @h too. If a variable like @h doesn't exist or has a null value, it will feed a blank line in return. In order to get just $h you need to make it a string and surround it in quotes.
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:51 pm   

Quote:

Is %quote supposed to surround it in quotes? I'm not noticing any issues other than that, seems to be working just fine.

%quote() does not surround the parameter with quotes, and probably doesn't return a result of "result", with the " displayed. However, if the parameter passed includes a " then %quote() should be doing the necessary steps to make each " show up. If I recall, the result would be something like ""result"".

Anywho, I don't think ANY function will adjust the data passed to it in such a way as to "fix" typos, so even functions like %literal() that don't allow variable expansion will probably cause the parser to cry foul.

Finally, if this is on the command line, you can use ~ or ` at the beginning to prevent CMud from parsing the line which should allow you to do the prompt command using just $h rather than "$h".
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:19 am   

Ok, so %quote(s) where s can be a variable. It should probably be added to the help file that if s is a variable it will be expanded.

Even so, how come the following returns:
Code:
A expanded B expanded C expanded

rather than:
Code:
@A @B @C

Code:

<class name="test" id="33">
  <alias name="test" id="29">
    <value>$test1 = @A @B @C

#show {%quote($test1)}</value>
  </alias>
  <var name="a" id="30">A expanded</var>
  <var name="b" id="31">B expanded</var>
  <var name="c" id="32">C expanded</var>
</class>
CMUD 3.34
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:48 pm   

Because that is what %quote does. It is what every function does when the argument is a variable. This is not odd at all. %quote("@A @B @C") does what you expect. Without the quotation marks, it treats those as variables to be expanded before applying the function.
Fizgar
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:37 pm   

I see now. Thanks for all the feedback that helped me gain a slightly better understanding of how things work. Sorry it took so long to get it through my thick skull.
CMUD 3.34
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:35 pm   

Also, just to add that $ isn't handled by %quote by default since $ isn't technical a "special character" (cannot be edited in the Special Characters preferences). But using the second optional argument to %quote you can add $ to the list of characters that are quoted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: