Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:22 pm   

[3.27] Error: Invalid local variable

I define the local variable $name in the pattern with ($name:[A-Z][a-z]+), but it doesn't recognize this and doesn't compile saying that $name is an invalid local variable.

Code:
<trigger type="Duration" param="10000" case="true" regex="true">
  <pattern>^(?:(^Twisting your neck sideways, you seize ($name:[A-Z][a-z]+)'s body between your massive jaws, jerking h[ie][mr] back and forth and leaving ragged gashes in h[ie][sr] flesh\.)|(Twisting to grasp ($name:[A-Z][a-z]+) in your powerful jaws, you sink your teeth deep into h[ie][sr] flesh before tossing h[ie][sr] helpless body into the air and catching h[ie][mr] once more in your teeth\.))$</pattern>
  <value>
i_attacking {Dragon Bite (%if( !%null( %1), "Standing", "Prone")) => $name}
#state dragon_bite 0</value>
</trigger>
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:59 pm   

I might be wrong, but it looks like you're trying to put a name on a subpattern in an element of a stringlist pattern. Can't do that, because the name won't exist when matching other elements.
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:07 pm   

I just realized I copied the xml out of the substate, here's the whole trigger:

Code:
<trigger name="dragon_bite" type="Command Input" priority="38560" case="true" regex="true" id="2197">
  <pattern>^bite\s\S+$</pattern>
  <value>i_failsafe_bal bite</value>
  <trigger type="Duration" param="10000" case="true" regex="true">
    <pattern>^(?:(^Twisting your neck sideways, you seize ($name:[A-Z][a-z]+)'s body between your massive jaws, jerking h[ie][mr] back and forth and leaving ragged gashes in h[ie][sr] flesh\.)|(Twisting to grasp ($name:[A-Z][a-z]+) in your powerful jaws, you sink your teeth deep into h[ie][sr] flesh before tossing h[ie][sr] helpless body into the air and catching h[ie][mr] once more in your teeth\.))$</pattern>
    <value>
i_attacking {Dragon Bite (%if( !%null( %1), "Standing", "Prone")) => $name}
#state dragon_bite 0</value>
  </trigger>
</trigger>

When I enter the command 'bite <someone>' it progresses to the second state. Either match will include the match for $name, but I think I see what you are driving at. Defining a name to a variable in a location that may not match (even though the other one will and has the same name) could easily be prohibited because it can't guarantee it will exist.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:10 pm   

No, this is not supported. Like what Matt was saying, you have your $name: in the middle of a "OR pattern". In other words, you have:
Code:
(item1|item2|item ($name:3)|item4...)

This has never been supported in CMUD. The Named subpatterns only work outside of a (item1|item2...) pattern.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:23 pm   

That's what I figured. I had provided for it to be defined in either of the OR patterns, but I see how that would be incredibly difficult to support.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: