Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:04 pm   

[3.25]Bug with %{i} in #LOOP

Not sure when this started happening, as I can't remember using it over the last couple of days (may have been pre-3.23...) However, a script that I have in the library that used to work no longer does.

Put simply, this was the script:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?>
<cmud>
  <alias name="find" copy="yes">
    <value>$mob=%1
#SWITCH (%2 AND %3) {#LOOP %2,%3 {where %{i}.$mob}} (%2 AND !%3) {#LOOP %2,( %2+8) {where %{i}.$mob}} {#LOOP 8 {where %{i}.$mob}}</value>
  </alias>
</cmud>

I tried it today, and all it did was send 'where' 8 times. To fix it, I had to do:

Code:
#SEND {%concat("where ",%i,".",$mob)}

The problem may very well be %key.%val syntax, but I hadn't had any problem with it until now. Not sure how many people it may affect, nor how many more scripts of mine are broken that I haven't checked yet, but it'd be nice if I could go back to %{i}.$mob, if possible.

Charneus
dbosst
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:29 pm   

might be related to http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35705&sid=03e5776fdda167ab877f98db3f1fbc8f
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:52 pm   

I'll check into this, but why aren't you just doing this:
Code:
#LOOP 8 {where %i.$mob}

Not sure why you are using the indirect {} reference. This syntax is normally only use when you have a variable expression within the {}. It's still a bug and I'll add it to the list.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:56 pm   

Oh, nevermind, I see the issue here. This actually isn't a bug. I see that you are trying to send the "." verbatim whereas CMUD is taking this to be a database key reference. There is no way for CMUD to know that %i isn't a database variable reference.

You might try:
Code:
#LOOP 8 {where %i"."$mob}

or
Code:
#LOOP 8 {where %i~.$mob}

to basically tell CMUD that the "." character is a literal value and not a database key reference. So there isn't any bug here, it's working as intended.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:46 pm   

The "." worked. I guess it's more of a 'Hey, this worked for all previous versions, so why does it stop now?' kind of thing. Oh well... time to go through the scripts and see if I need to make any other changes. :P Thanks for the "." idea!

Charneus
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:55 pm   

That fact that it worked in previous versions was a bug that prevented you from using the %i.$mob syntax to reference the $mob key within the %i database variable/table. However, the situation you are in is probably much more common than the situation where you want to use %i.$mob, so maybe I should change it so that to reference %i as a database variable you would need to use %db instead. I know a lot of MUDs need stuff like:

get 1.corpse

and stuff like that where you want to loop through a bunch of objects in the room. So I can see that this change might cause too many compatibility problems for older scripts. I'll give it some thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: