Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2
Erasmus Posted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:59 pm
Why are you still using ZMUD?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:31 am   

CMUD and zMUD actually share the exact same socket code (the Indy 10 Delphi networking components), so I have no idea why one would reset your connection and the other wouldn't. The "reset by peer" message is usually something that comes via a Windows message from the network connection and not something the client software has control over. But as you said, it's most likely a scripting issue that could be solved over in the CMUD forums.
nostro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:30 pm   

For me it was about the speed, when i bought them it was a package deal, i got Zmud 7.21 and Cmud 3.08, I gave cmud a shot but found that it was noticeably slower when executing both normal commands as well as triggers, maybe it is because it is an older version of Cmud? Has anyone else had this issue with 3.08?
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:38 pm   

CMUD (especially the latest) should be the same speed or considerably faster. That said however, there are some coding changes and tweaks that need to be done to take advantage of the optimizations. You shoud read the Changes for zMUD users. If your particularly interested in speed you should focus on Compiled scripts, Local Variables and Expression optimization.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:47 pm   

I thought it would be faster as well, but I could notice a longer delay even entering small commands like look, after i hit enter it just seemed like it was slower in sending the command out than zmud was, its prompting me to download a new version of Cmud so think i will do that and check it out, who knows maybe I just have a really poor sense of time passing lol
deathkitty
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:04 pm   

I find it weird you are using script wizard as a reason for existing CMUD users to pay more for an upgrade, since I actually find it's slower and awkward, I always switch to normal mode yet it's annoying to have to keep doing that every time, are you going to have an option in preferences to disable always go to wizard? the old style was much better, it seems to be a fairly recent change.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:24 am   

If you'd read the BETA forum where the wizard is discussed, you'd know that YES there is an option to turn off the wizard. In fact, in 3.22a there is a checkbox labeled "Hide the wizard" right on the wizard itself. Seems pretty easy. Many people like the wizard. If you find it annoying, my guess is that you are advanced enough to not need it. Doesn't mean other beginning users won't like it. And the pattern testing wizard is quite useful for people learning pattern matching wildcards for the first time.

In any case, there are plenty of other useful features other than the wizard that still make it worthwhile. Although it sounds like you are talking more about existing CMUD users upgrading to 3.x rather than zMUD users moving to CMUD. This is a bit moot since I still haven't even released a public version of 3.x that requires a paid upgrade yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: