Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
deathkitty
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:15 pm   

[3.22a NEW version] Really annoying scroll issue

Sometimes when you alt tab back to the program the scrolling is all messed up so that you can't see the most recent stuff, it just keeps repeating the old content, you can tell new posts are arriving because it moves, but you just see the same text repeated over itself, it looks quite weird. When you scroll up so the seperator appears then back again it fixes momentarily, but then it starts again when new text is received. I'm wondering if it might be a problem with having a higher scrollback amount than the default in Options->Session->Scrollback? I've set it to 11000 at the moment which should be ok as the PC has 6GB DDR3 RAM!

Have you tested CMUD with ATI graphics drivers instead of just nVidia? I have Catalyst 10.5 atm but had this problem for a while now, was hoping it would just get fixed on own but yeah. I had it on my old PC too so I know it's not just this one, but the one thing in common was that ATI graphics card (this one is a 5870 card, old one was 4870x2) so hmm.

img691.imageshack.us/img691/1884/cmudbug1.gif

The important thing to notice is that it's almost as if CMUD GUI doesnt seem to react at all to the new text other than to display it in the tiny gap between new lines as if you had scrolled up, yet when new text arrives it doesn't add a separator or anything like when you yourself scroll up, nor does the [ - ] icon in the bottomright get "pushed in" like it does when you scroll up manually

It does the same thing, it makes it VERY annoying to use cmud because whenever you want to read something new you have to scroll up then scroll down again, it doesn't fix it permanantly the only solution seems to be to exit the whole program and load it again

Last edited by deathkitty on Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:43 am   

Looks like the separator is active but just at the bottom of the window.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:51 pm   

If you just click on the main MUD window does it fix itself?

I don't have any systems with ATI cards anymore, so I cannot comment on that. But CMUD is just calling the normal windows ScrollEx API routine, so I'm not doing anything at a low-level that should card about your specific graphics card unless it's some bug in the driver. Nothing I can do about that.

Unfortunately, without a way to reproduce this it's going to be nearly impossible to track down the problem and fix it. Especially if it is computer or graphics card specific.

You might also try a different MUD to see if it is MUD-specific. It's possible the MUD is sending bad control codes that could mess up the scrolling sometimes.
deathkitty
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:15 pm   

No it's not unfortunately Fizban, cos when I scroll up the separator appears again in the usual place I have it (about 1/3 of the way up the screen from the bottom).

It's definitely not MUD specific or computer specific because I had this problem pop up sometimes on my old PC too (I changed a couple of months ago), I haven't been using cmud much until lately

It doesn't fix itself when I click on the mud window, only when I manually scroll the window up again then back down, and then after anyway as soon as new text arrives it starts mangling it again. :(
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:28 am   

Anyone else with an ATI card who could try to reproduce this. I'm stumped here. Can't get it to fail at all.
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:33 am   

My old laptop has an ATi card (Radeon Mobility x1400), but never had any such issue with it.
Martaigne
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:53 am   

I get nothing like this, running an ATI Radeon HD4870 card on XP SP3.
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:36 am   

I have something like this occur when I click on a link that's made by the Clickable URL package. The window I clicked it in then doesn't always scroll up properly, causing new text to be added below the visible range.

It's like clicking the link causes the window to lose track of where it's actual bottom is. I'm able to reset it by changing the window layout somehow (generally, right-click & toggle the command line twice), and it seems to work fine after that.

Not sure if it's the same thing though, but might help to reproduce and track it down.

EDIT: I run a 32-bit Vista laptop with an Nvidia card.
deathkitty
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:18 pm   

I think you may be right, I link a lot and cos of that I never made the connection between the two, it does look like clicking causes it

Also maybe something to do with setting custom scrollback+font? mine is lucida console 12, scrollback is 11000 (computer has expensive 6GB DDR3 triplechannel memory)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:49 am   

Can somebody post a test case for the Clickable URL links causing this problem that I can try to test here?
deathkitty
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:40 pm   

what do you mean a test case, is there any way to like do a dump of the memory or something like that? I don't know much more than screenshots I don't know programming :(
Derar
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:32 pm   

To Reproduce:

1) Open untitled session in CMud
2) Open Package Editor. Add Clickable URLs package. Close package editor.
3) Send #SHOW http://www.zuggsoft.com
4) Click on the link.
5) Switch back to the CMud window from the window the link opened in.
6) Spam #SHOW TEST LINE until the screen is full.
7) Now spam #SHOW TEST LINE 2; this is where the issue occurs. You shouldn't see any TEST LINE 2 appear at first.
8) Scroll down and see the missing text.
9) Spam #SHOW TEST LINE 3; again you shouldn't see the text.
10) Resize the window.
11) Spam #SHOW TEST LINE 4; it should scroll normally now.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:10 pm   

I didn't fail for me. In step (5), exactly how are you switching back to CMUD? Are you using Alt-Tab, or are you clicking somewhere in the CMUD window? If so, exactly where are you clicking.
Derar
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:42 pm   

Looks to happen both when I switch with alt-tab, or when I switch by clicking on the taskbar button for CMud.

Interestingly, if I click on the command line, and do some #SHOWS, I see nothing show up - however, if I then click on the mud window itself (resetting the focus, as a guess), the missing lines then display, and after that it seems to work ok.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:47 pm   

I tried this and couldn't get it to fail either. Each line or edit appears immediately after I hit enter.
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:23 am   

It failed for me on my laptop system with ATI Radeon Xpress. To simplify, you can do this:

1. Open untitled session
2. #LOAD "Clickable URLs"
3. #SHOW http://www.zuggsoft.com
4. Click link.
5. Select CMUD from taskbar (probably works with alt+tab, didn't really test that)
6. #LOOP 60 {#SHOW Test line} It should stop redrawing the screen.

It seems like it's just a refresh/redraw issue, though I'm not sure why. I never closed out the browser or webpage or anything, so not sure if that has anything to do with it, either.

Charneus
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:13 am   

I still couldn't get it to go. I'm not using a particularly powerful machine either. A lenovo T400 with a Radeon HD 3400.
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:41 pm   

Still nothing here either. I'm wondering if it's something specific to Vista? People should start posting their version of Windows.

Also, I wonder if it depends upon which web browser you are using? I'm on Firefox 3.6.6 here.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:32 pm   

Using Windows 7 (32-bit) and Chrome here.

Charneus
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:01 pm   

I tested on XP. I'll give it a shot on my Win 7 PC later on.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:31 am   

Derar wrote:
To Reproduce:

1) Open untitled session in CMud
2) Open Package Editor. Add Clickable URLs package. Close package editor.
3) Send #SHOW http://www.zuggsoft.com
4) Click on the link.
5) Switch back to the CMud window from the window the link opened in.
6) Spam #SHOW TEST LINE until the screen is full.
7) Now spam #SHOW TEST LINE 2; this is where the issue occurs. You shouldn't see any TEST LINE 2 appear at first.
8) Scroll down and see the missing text.
9) Spam #SHOW TEST LINE 3; again you shouldn't see the text.
10) Resize the window.
11) Spam #SHOW TEST LINE 4; it should scroll normally now.
Derar wrote:
Looks to happen both when I switch with alt-tab, or when I switch by clicking on the taskbar button for CMud.

Interestingly, if I click on the command line, and do some #SHOWS, I see nothing show up - however, if I then click on the mud window itself (resetting the focus, as a guess), the missing lines then display, and after that it seems to work ok.

charneus wrote:
It failed for me on my laptop system with ATI Radeon Xpress. To simplify, you can do this:

1. Open untitled session
2. #LOAD "Clickable URLs"
3. #SHOW http://www.zuggsoft.com
4. Click link.
5. Select CMUD from taskbar (probably works with alt+tab, didn't really test that)
6. #LOOP 60 {#SHOW Test line} It should stop redrawing the screen.

It seems like it's just a refresh/redraw issue, though I'm not sure why. I never closed out the browser or webpage or anything, so not sure if that has anything to do with it, either.

Charneus
charneus wrote:
Using Windows 7 (32-bit) and Chrome here.

Charneus

Also Windows 7! 64-bit one though

Firefox 3.6.8 noscript+betterprivacy+adblock
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:05 pm   

OK, tried Windows7+Chrome and Windows7+Firefox. Still no luck reproducing it.

Does it matter how much the web browser overlaps the CMUD screen? Does it matter if either CMUD or the browser is maximized?

Also, in Win7 have you messed around with any video settings, such as the Windows Theme, or the Desktop Composition performance settings?

Finally, to test whether the problem is related to the ATI drivers, you can try changing to the default Windows video drivers. This used to be pretty easy to do in XP, but I'm not actually sure how to do it in Windows 7. But if somebody is willing to mess around and try it, it sure should be nice to determine if the problem only occurred with a specific set of ATI drivers or not.
tijer
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:59 pm   Re: [3.22a NEW version] Really annoying scroll issue

deathkitty wrote:
Sometimes when you alt tab back to the program the scrolling is all messed up so that you can't see the most recent stuff, it just keeps repeating the old content, you can tell new posts are arriving because it moves, but you just see the same text repeated over itself, it looks quite weird. When you scroll up so the seperator appears then back again it fixes momentarily, but then it starts again when new text is received. I'm wondering if it might be a problem with having a higher scrollback amount than the default in Options->Session->Scrollback? I've set it to 11000 at the moment which should be ok as the PC has 6GB DDR3 RAM!

Have you tested CMUD with ATI graphics drivers instead of just nVidia? I have Catalyst 10.5 atm but had this problem for a while now, was hoping it would just get fixed on own but yeah. I had it on my old PC too so I know it's not just this one, but the one thing in common was that ATI graphics card (this one is a 5870 card, old one was 4870x2) so hmm.

img691.imageshack.us/img691/1884/cmudbug1.gif

The important thing to notice is that it's almost as if CMUD GUI doesnt seem to react at all to the new text other than to display it in the tiny gap between new lines as if you had scrolled up, yet when new text arrives it doesn't add a separator or anything like when you yourself scroll up, nor does the [ - ] icon in the bottomright get "pushed in" like it does when you scroll up manually

It does the same thing, it makes it VERY annoying to use cmud because whenever you want to read something new you have to scroll up then scroll down again, it doesn't fix it permanantly the only solution seems to be to exit the whole program and load it again

Have had this happen to me too.. by just clicking on a link!
Only way to fix was to close the session an re-open!

Has happened to me ever since clickable links were set on as default!!
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:22 pm   

Found it!!!!

The key here is to make sure the web browser opens directly over CMUD and covers the area of the link you clicked on. Also, you need to hold down the mouse button when clicking the link and don't release the mouse button until the web browser has covered CMUD.

What is happening here is that CMUD is freezing the screen during mouse selection of text in the MUD window. When the browser opens and covers CMUD while the mouse is still held down, CMUD never gets the "mouse up" event that tells it the selection is complete. So CMUD gets stuck in selection mode.

Just selecting other text in the MUD window should fix it, but now that I can reproduce this, I should be able to get it fixed for the next release.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:18 pm   

Awesome catch Zugg. I'm not even sure how you were able to determine that. Good show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: