Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 1:34 am   

Update Facebook Status from Zmud?

Am I the only one that would love to be able to update their FB status based on triggers from mud output?

has now achieved level 130 on Aardwolf
has vorpaled (player name) for a total of 350 vorpals
has been promoted to Clan Leader of Imperium

or am i just THAT much of a nerd?
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:00 am   

It won't ever happen in zMUD because zMUD is frozen. But it's an interesting possibility for CMUD. If somebody wants to post a link for the FaceBook API on how I would go about doing it, that would help. My worry is that you'll end up needing to embed some sort of password in your script to do this, but I really have no idea how Facebook handles this kind of stuff. Obviously it's not going to let you update just anybody's status.
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:00 pm   

Oh, thought it would be something with DDE. Like how Zmud can send Email via Gmail.
Thought it would be a similar concept (tho more convoluted of course)
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:46 pm   

It looks like it might take a lot of work on Zugg's part, but here's a step-by-step guide...

How to Update a Facebook Page Status Using the Facebook API

Charneus
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:46 pm   

From that site:
Quote:
Facebook’s API is really meant for the web—it’s a session-based API that relies on a browser being opened, being redirected to the Facebook site, and authorization happening in their walled-castle.

Not looking good. Especially not going to use any of the Ruby stuff. But it looks like you'd need some sort of intermediary web plugin, like a Firefox addon that would then interact with CMUD. Trouble is that Firefox doesn't do Windows COM-based stuff, so that makes it even harder.

It's more likely that someday I'll implement some hooks to communicate between CMUD and the zuggsoft.com (or mymuds.com) site, which would in turn interface with a Facebook app.

But it's definitely not something easy, so don't hold your breath.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:36 am   

I kind of disagree with Zugg building that functionality directly. I would say this is something for a plug-in or using lua to control the socket / http session.
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:35 pm   

I also disagree because anyone can already do this.

Using the email script all you have to do is email to your special Ping.fm email address and it will post the updates to whatever social networks you have added to your Ping.fm account which is free!

I looked down the route of using lua or vbscript to POST the status update but there are just too many variables to contend with but anyway my investigation finally led me to Ping.fm which to me seems the best way of dealing with the request.
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:10 pm   

Taz, thank you so much for letting me know about ping.fm
BUT I have a question. How log does it take before it actually posts?
I linked the accounts like was told to, sent a test email and it's been 15 mins and it hasn't shown up.

EDIT: Never mind. I went to RElink it and it said that there was an error and I had to redo it...meanwhile there was an extra thing there that wasn't there before when I did it. Figures :-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: