Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
cromaine
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:18 pm   

Map issues

CMUD 2.37, playing Avalon
There are a few specific places in my map where the mapper puts me in the wrong room. For example, I am in room 1, and move ne to room 2. But the mapper puts me in, say, room 3. I've double and triple-checked the links for all 3 rooms, and they all seem to be going to the correct places. Any idea what could be wrong? (Note that these are rooms where there is a command, like "swim ne", in the room exit.)
Thanks.
PsychicSmurf
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:24 pm   

I find it does this alot if you move too fast. ie you enter 2 or 3 move commands, which get queued by a mud.

When I move slower, it gets the right rooms.

Not sure why...
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:49 pm   

I've run into it before and moving slower does help. I've long since stopped using the mapper, but it can be a useful tool. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what can be done about the synchronization issues.
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:02 pm   

I know what you mean about moving too fast. But what I am describing is happening when moving very slowly. It is perfectly replicatable at those particular locations where it happens.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:01 pm   

How do you have the map recognize that "swim ne" means the ne exit? There are a couple ways to do it, and we might need to know the method you use to help figure this out.

One method would be to use a customized set of Directions, in which "swim ne" is included in the list of values for that direction. Method 2 would be to customize the link so that you type 'ne' and the link itself knows that it needs to send "swim ne" to the mud. The third method would be to use an alias for 'swim' which both sends the command to the mud and tells the mapper which way to move, probably with the #MOVE command. There could be other methods that don't pop into my head just now. So, which method are you using?
cromaine
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:49 pm   

In Room Properties, under exits, I have added commands in the "Other com" field. These commands look like "swim ne", etc. It seems to work (except for these particular places I am asking about).
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:09 pm   

So, when you try to move through that link, do you type "ne" or "swim ne"? With the method you are using, if you type "ne", the mapper will recognize you want to go through the link, send the command "swim ne" to the mud, and move move the marker on the map. If you type "swim ne", the mapper won't recognize it as a movement command.
cromaine
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:30 pm   

Well, I just use the numpad, so i hit 9 to go ne, which I think is effectively the same as typing "ne". As I mentioned, this works perfectly fine in dozens of other rooms that use the "swim" command on the exits.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:38 pm   

Yes, with the numpad turned on, 9 should be equivalent to "ne". Hm. My next guess is to go to the problem room with the mapper set to Mapping mode, and do a #LOOK, to refresh the room name and description. Might the name and description be not matching the mud output? Is the name or description variable at all?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: