Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
yull26m
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:42 pm   

Tick timer help, PLEASE.

I know #ts sets the tick timer but it the a way to set the other number of the tick timer? I use the tick timer alot. ou is my alias to order undock and it starts my timer and sets it to look contacts at 5 ticks. I want it to scan @ID every 2 ticks when I lock on.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:05 am   

the #TIMER command can both toggle the tick timer state as well as define it.
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:05 am   

ok, #ts toggles/sets the time interval, I know that but what I need is something I can put in my script to set the timeout margin.
Martaigne
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:51 pm   

I think I understand what you are saying, but why not use an #alarm that counts iterations and disables itself after a certain length of time?
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:51 pm   

what I want to do is to be able to set my tick timer to look contacts at every 5 ticks, then, when it spots a ship on contacts, I want it to scan ship and look contacts at every 2 ticks. I also have a couple of scripts to build skills up that I would like to use the tick timer on and it has to be able to change tie timeout margin as well.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:04 pm   

Quote:

Was I somehow too technical for you? Here, let me dumb it down:

in the command line, type in #TIMER. Then, move the cursor somewhere within that command and press F1. Finally, click on the More Help link to bring up the #TIMER helpfile. Read the whole thing.
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:06 pm   

MattLofton wrote:
Quote:

Was I somehow too technical for you? Here, let me dumb it down:

in the command line, type in #TIMER. Then, move the cursor somewhere within that command and press F1. Finally, click on the More Help link to bring up the #TIMER helpfile. Read the whole thing.

I have read the help files on the tick timer. None of them say anything bout setting the timeout margin. But I figured if there was a way to do it, ppl on here would know it.
Martaigne
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:42 pm   

According to: http://forums.zuggsoft.com/modules/mx_kb/kb.php?mode=doc&page=3&refpage=3&a=cmud_%23ti

Syntax: #TI timer-state {commands} message-flag margin

"The margin parameter determines how many seconds before the tick timer expires that the message is displayed and the command is executed."

and

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/modules/mx_kb/kb.php?page=3&mode=doc&k=400

Syntax: #TI [timer-state command message-flag margin]

"The margin parameter determines how many seconds before the tick timer expires that the message is displayed."
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:38 pm   

Ok, little test for you to try MattLofton, open up zmud and set the timeout margin on your tick timer, set it to like 20. Now, try to change the number 20 by typing in anything that you think would work and see if that number 20 changes to ANYTHING. I know the stuff you are pointing out to me already, MattLofton. I have told you that is not what I am asking for but you still insist upon forcing that upon me. I know that #ts will change the time interval, let me repeat that for you Mattlofton, I konw that #ts sets the time interval. I want to find a way to set the timeout margin by way of trigger, and or, script, not the time interval.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:15 am   

Quote:

I have told you that is not what I am asking for but you still insist upon forcing that upon me.

So what are you asking for? This entire time every post I made in this thread was in response to changing the timeout margin of the tick timer. If that's not what you were asking, you did a spectacularly poor job of laying out your question because the very first question in your original post was "I know #ts sets the tick timer but it the a way to set the other number of the tick timer?".

By the way, I told you to use #TIMER, not #TSET.
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:22 am   

#timer sets the action to be taken upon the timer running out, it also toggles the timer on/off but it does not set the timeout margin. I the action to be taken set as @action and I have triggers that set that variable to the action I want taken but I sometimes what the timeout margin set for 5 ticks and sometimes I want it set for 10 ticks. You can toggle the interval using #ts, I know this, you can toggle the timer to start/stop with #timer, I know this too. I want to be able to set it where you can switch the timeout margin from 4 to 10 or vice versa.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:38 pm   

Quote:

I want to be able to set it where you can switch the timeout margin from 4 to 10 or vice versa.

Use #timer.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:19 pm   

^ Using #TIMER again will reset the timeout margin.
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:36 am   

I have tried that, it never changes the timeout margin. I try every suggestion given and thus far none have worked.
myddrun
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:57 am   

Is it possible for you to do this with #alarm functions instead?

You can set you initial alarm with *5 (every 5 second) to "look contacts" then when your conact is found use the appropriate trigger pattern to #untrigger *5 to delete the it followed by #alarm *2 to set the new alarm with the new commands.

I don't use tickers and timeouts so what can you do with them that you can't do with alarms?
yull26m
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:26 pm   

myddrun wrote:
Is it possible for you to do this with #alarm functions instead?

You can set you initial alarm with *5 (every 5 second) to "look contacts" then when your conact is found use the appropriate trigger pattern to #untrigger *5 to delete the it followed by #alarm *2 to set the new alarm with the new commands.

I don't use tickers and timeouts so what can you do with them that you can't do with alarms?

LOL, you do not use tick timers and I have never used @alarm. I have no idea how to use #alarm, but I will look into it.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:02 pm   

#timer 1 {#say test} 1 15

1 -- whether the tick timer is enabled
{#say test} -- the command the tick timer executes when the tick reaches 0
1 -- whether the tick warning message is displayed
15 -- the timeout margin (pay attention yull26m, this is what you were asking about)

#timer doesn't work if the tick dialog is open.
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:15 pm   

MattLofton wrote:
#timer 1 {#say test} 1 15

1 -- whether the tick timer is enabled
{#say test} -- the command the tick timer executes when the tick reaches 0
1 -- whether the tick warning message is displayed
15 -- the timeout margin (pay attention yull26m, this is what you were asking about)

#timer doesn't work if the tick dialog is open.

Thank you a ton mattlofton, this IS exactly what I was looking for..I just did not understand what you kept meaning when you said #timer, er rather I did not understand how to input that. Now that you have put an example, I can work with it perfectly...thank you so much bud.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:21 pm   

This is why helpfiles exist. Instead of telling people off because YOU think they're being know-nothing morons, read them. Even if you don't get it the first time, subsequent responses along those same lines would suggest you obviously missed something.
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:13 am   

I read and read and read and re-read all the help files dealing with the timer, It just did not sink in as to what they were talking bout. There are alot of things that are not copletely clear to me, such as the help files for some stuff. When I just typed #timer and a number, it did not do as I wanted. I did not understand until you posted the full trigger for it #timer 1 {@action} 1 10. But thank you and I am sorry bout all the trouble I have been. I have another post open where I am trying to get help writing a database script that will input eq stats from id spell into zmud database system it has. I do not understand the help files there either. I am not very technically evolved.
adlezl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:25 pm   

in zmud the command: ""' is used to let the mud know you are still there and not spam the output.

What is the cmud equivalent?

I need an inert command.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:58 pm   

I see no reason for this command to have changed, though honestly, I was not aware of it myself.

Is it referenced in some help file?
I tend to send a command the output of which I am gagging out anyway, like 'xp'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: