Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » TeSSH Discussion
demoneyoungblood
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:37 am   

[3.14] Strange issue with VIM and very large files in TESSH

Not sure how to explain it, but here goes:

When dealing with a massively large file in VIM (70k lines for instance), if you do certain actions, all text just... disappears so to speak.

In my case, I did a %s substitution, then GG.. and... screen went black.. I have seen this in earlier versions, but not sure what causes it. I can reliably reproduce it though.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:41 am   

Ok, so it seems that the issue relates to large files and jumping to the end with G, ( sorry, gg vs G ... anyway ). I have found that it is still operational, so you might want to be careful.

Full scenario:

1.) Login on machine
2.) Start a screen session
3.) ssh to a remote host (this way you can get back your localecho)
4.) Edit a MASSIVE file in vim
5.) jump from beginning of file to end of file (gg, G)
6.) Text goes black
7.) If comfortable, save the file if you made changes. If not, exit the file without write.
8.) exit the ssh session: Text returns.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:51 pm   

What do you mean by:
demoneyoungblood wrote:
2.) Start a screen session

as I followed your other instructions and was able to edit a 90K text file in VIM without seeing your issue.

BTW what is your TERM type set to ?
demoneyoungblood
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:05 pm   

screen is a session utility in linux. it allows you to manage multiple windows within one.

also, 90k isnt very large. the file I'm working with is 5.4MB, 70,000+ lines.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:54 pm   

demoneyoungblood wrote:
screen is a session utility in linux. it allows you to manage multiple windows within one.

also, 90k isnt very large. the file I'm working with is 5.4MB, 70,000+ lines.

I meant I was editing a 90K line file. Never used screen before, so do not know how to reproduce your step 2.
demoneyoungblood
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:13 pm   

term is set to XTERM

Quick rundown of using screen (for purpose of this example).

Assuming its installed:

screen -S test (start a new session named test)
ssh somewhere
edit ridiculous large file until black (jump between the top and bottom using gg and G, never fails for me )
exit file
exit ssh connection (text will return)
exit again will close screen and your active connection
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:53 pm   

I'm also confused by the "screen" bit. You need to determine if this is a problem in TeSSH or in "screen". Can't you just use TeSSH to make an SSH connection to your remote server, then use VIM to edit a large file without screen to see if it works?

Not sure why you'd be using "screen" within CMUD since CMUD already lets you have multiple windows and sessions itself.

CMUD doesn't care how large a file is. When editing a file in VIM, VIM is only displaying the current page of the file on the screen. If you look at the raw input/output of a VIM session, you won't see any difference between a large file or a small file. So something else is going on here.

My guess is that some combination of "screen" and VIM is sending an xterm code to CMUD that CMUD is not emulating properly. What I would need to test this is the raw debug file from CMUD, which you can get by opening your CMUD session OFFLINE, then type:

#DEBUGFILE test.raw test.txt

in the CMUD command line. Then use File/Reconnect to connect to the session and do whatever steps you need to reproduce the bug. Then exit CMUD and send me both the test.raw and test.txt files as email attachments to sales@zuggsoft.com.
demoneyoungblood
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:57 pm   

The reason for screen is so that when I start large and lengthy operations that take excess of 8 hours, I can leave them running in the foreground and come back to them later. Granted, I could just as easily bg them and resume them by bringing them to fg later, but screen is a very commonly used tool by sysadmins, it allows us to minimize the number of "windows" we have to open.

I'll see about getting the raw text to you later today.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » TeSSH Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: