Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
GeneralStonewall
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:14 am   

[3.12] Suggestion: String list item length

It looks like there's a max of 255 characters for items in a string list. I don't believe this was ever an issue in Zmud, so when I converted some of my string items were truncated. Would it be possible to increase this amount?
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:35 pm   

There's no maximum length on stringlists. There probably IS a maximum length on the cells in the table in the stringlist variable editor in the Package Editor, but the data itself has no limit.
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:38 pm   

Yeah. That's a problem, having a maximum length in the cells itself. Not sure if it can be resolved, but apparently when you export it, it doesn't export the entire contents of the cell, just the first 255 characters.

One such example is when I was sending a copy of a script to a friend. The script wouldn't work because the database variable didn't export completely, and we had to do a workaround for it.

It would be nice of that could be removed, though.

Charneus
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:54 pm   

I think this is a limit/problem with the String Grid cell component that I'm using for the editor. I have no idea how easy/hard this will be to fix. There isn't any limit in the normal storage or import/export. It should just be the string list editor itself.

Post a string list XML that shows the problem so that I can add this to the bug list and easily reproduce it.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:33 pm   

Edit again:

To simplify things:

#LOOP 5 {#ADDITEM testvar %repeat(%i,300)}

Then open up package editor, select the variable, highlight a line, copy it, then do:

#SAY %len("put copied output here")

It'll return only 255 characters.

Charneus
wrym
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:27 am   

Charneus thats only saying the EDITOR has a 255 character limit, not the xml.

I tried to reproduce the problems with xml import/export and was unable to, it imported nice neat items with 300 characters.
"To the engineer, all matter in the universe can be placed into one of two categories: (1) things that need to be fixed, and (2) things that will need to be fixed after you've had a few minutes to play with them" - Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle
GeneralStonewall
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:01 am   

Bumpage, didn't see this in the changelog for 3.13. I would still like to see this fixed. If it's too much of an issue, then I'm not worried about it.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:25 pm   

It's still on the list, but since it involves a 3rd party grid component, I have no ETA for this fix, sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: