Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
zortec

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:19 pm   

More questions from a new user

Why do I see a command line for both sessions that I am connected to?

How do I delete a path from the command line? I would like to avoid having to go into the editor to remove a path.

Is there a setting I need to check to keep the focus on the command line? If I click into the window, the command line might lose focus and I have to click back in the command line. This can be a pain.

I found out through the documentation that you can reverse a path with the shortcut character (..) but say I have the following path:
guild {.2e2n5u}, and I want to change it to guild {.2e2n5u;think}, how do you reverse it so you end up with {float;5d2w2s} as your reverse path?

What has happened here? I type #path in the command line and this is my output:
Path Ahead: <empty>
Path Behind: .nw4s15e;.(hn);.(reply Are there dirs to get to the cemetary?);.(quest);.(quest vest)l15w;.(hp);.(rest);.(hp)12w7esew3nsw;.(sell all)e2n3s18wn3s;.(lt)3snw;.(con overseer);.(lt)3w3ks;.(lt)7s2k9w;.(rest);.(ii);.(ready);.(wear cret);.(wear crest)l;.(equip crest)l;.(sore);.(gear)l;.(hp);.(i);.(use ring);.(use ring 2);.(r How do you use the Ring of Endurance?)l;.(hp)l5wh;.(r I am at a large stone wall)lwsl6en;.(r Here we go.)l;.(l ghost);.(quest vestachelon);.(vest vest);.(quest vest);.(r lol)l;.(f)l;.(alias f finger $*)l;.(lt)l;.(quest vest);.(ask ghost about skeletons);.(accept)ln2e3w;.(xa);.(quest);.(r Vestachelon quest is level 32+?)l;.(r ah);.(mf);.(xa);.(mf);.(mf);.(xa);.(mf);.(mf);.(xa);.(r I have low str so I miss my attacks most of the time);.(xa);.(xa);.(xa);.(m);.(mf);.(xa);.(bury corpse good);.(get all);.(help currency)ln;.(k skeleton);.(xa);.(mf);.(mf);.(ii);.(start)e;.(donate huaberk);.(donate hauberk);.(donate);.(read plaque);.(store hauberk);.(store hauberk 2)wn2e2w2n;.(trash hauberk);.(trash hauberk 2);.(l trash)l;.(i);.(l in trash);.(who);.(r Um, I just put a tempered elven chain mail from my guild in the trash. )l;.(i);.(ready)l2s4e2n5udu;.(think)2wesn;.(l board);.(read 4)2s2wn;.(l board);.(score);.(ii);.(eq);.(gear);.(post elven chain mail);.(I'm sorry, but I put one in the trash by accident. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to get one again.).;.(read);.(read new)2l;.(r Posted.)lw2e2w;.(list)e;.(gear)le2s;.(float)2dsd2s2w2e2n;.(power)l3d2s2w;.(gear);.(wealth)w;.(sk)3e2n5u;.(think)2wew;.(list);.(sk);.(power mindflare);.(tr Psychokinesis);.(tr Psychokinesis);.(tr Psychokinesis);.(sk);.(tr thrusting weapons)l;.(wealth)le;.(float)d2s3d5u5d2s13w6es3nsw;.(list)wene;.(list);.(list)lw4ns2n7sew6ew;.(hp);.(i);.(sk)l;.(r Do you think I would do better to reroll and get a higher str than 12? I'm having a hard time in combat.)l;.(thank ursalis);.(score);.(r 12 str, 20 int, 21 wis, 13 dex, 10 cha, 19 luck);.(r I'll give it a go for a few more levels)lwe;.(i);.(ii)2e2w;.(r Old player coming back to different things);.(r I had a max cleric in 2003)ld;.(l directory);.(locate maxim);.(r Sorry. 1998 :))2lu15w17e2n5u;.(think)n2w;.(store hauberk)e;.(post hauberk follow-up);.(Ursalis had a spare one and so I donated it to the guild.).;.l;.(read new)les;.(float)3d2swed2we2s;.(l desk)ne2snewn;.(who helper)lw3nsnsews3e2n3d2s17w;.(lt)l3s2n8w4sn5w2snw3k2swe;.(l kessle);.(ask kessle about quest);.(ask kessle about chalice)l2w;.(k skeleton);.(mf);.(mf);.(xa);.(xa);.(mf);.(mf);.(xa);.(mf);.(mf);.(xa);.(wimpy 30);.(mf);.(bury corpse good);.(get all)l;.(rest);.(xp)l;.(k skeleton);.(mf);.(mf);.(mf);.(mf);.(xa);.(mf);.(mf);.(bury corpse good);.(get all)l;.(rest);.(who);.(r Is pain still the bard's favorite ability? :))l;.(r They have a nasty special)l;.(k skeleton);.(r I played a bard to 10/9 like 8 years ago)l;.(mf);.(mf);.(mf);.(mf);.(r That makes me fear bards even more now so);.(xa);.(r I tried a druid but could not get into them);.(xa);.(mf);.(mf);.(bury corpse good);.(get all)l;.(rest);.(xp);.(score);.(r I like psion even if I am not really strong, my magic attack makes up for it)l;.(hp);.(who);.(r What about a fighter?)l2wen2s5wns2n;.(hp);.(k skeleton);.(mf);.(mf);.(mf);.(mf);.(r Have you been around since 1998? );.(r Yes I can say the same. I was really powerful with guardian in those days.);.(mf);.(mf);.(xa);.(bury corpse good);.(get all);.(rest)l;.(k skeleton);.(mf);.(mf);.(mf);.(mf);.(mf);.(rest);.(hp);.(wimpy 20)nse2wes;.(mf)2s2ne;.(peer west);.(peek west);.(hp);.(wealth)lnsew;.(hp)2s;.(xa)n;.(wimpydir north);.(rest);.(wimpy 30);.(who);.(lt);.(help sleep);.(help rest)ln2s;.(mf);.(mf);.(xa);.(bury corpse good);.(get all);.(l fangs)l;.(k skeleton);.(mf);.(mf);.(mf);.(mf);.(xa);.(mf);.(mf);.(r :nods);.(r I'm just cutting down the skeletons.);.(xa);.(mf);.(mf);.(bury corpse good);.(get all)l;.(k skeleton);.(wimpydir);.(wimpydir south);.(who wiz);.(xa);.(mf);.(mf);.(mf);.(rest)2ln;.(mf);.(mf);.(mf);.(mf);.(xa);.(mf);.(mf);.(bury corpse good);.(get all)l4w;.(hp);.(rest)

Most of that is commands that I entered into the mud and I don't understand why they were stored in a path.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:01 pm   

1) Each session needs it's own command line. Commands typed on a command line normally go only to the window that the command line is associated with.

2) The #unpath command.

3) No, there is no way to keep the focus on the command line. This is normal Windows behavior.

4) You cannot change the reverse of a path. If the needed reverse of a path is not the inverse of the direction commands, you will need to have two separate paths, one for each direction.

5) I believe that #path will record all your commands while recording, because some of them may be necessary commands for the path (such as your "think" and "float" in your earlier example). You have to be careful what you input while recording a path. You can edit the path later, if you want.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:24 pm   

5) Remember to use #MARK to start the beginning of your path recording.
hadar
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:15 pm   

i think the command line thing he is speaking about is something i get quite often also

zortec

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:47 am   

Rahab wrote:
1) Each session needs it's own command line. Commands typed on a command line normally go only to the window that the command line is associated with.

2) The #unpath command.

3) No, there is no way to keep the focus on the command line. This is normal Windows behavior.

4) You cannot change the reverse of a path. If the needed reverse of a path is not the inverse of the direction commands, you will need to have two separate paths, one for each direction.

5) I believe that #path will record all your commands while recording, because some of them may be necessary commands for the path (such as your "think" and "float" in your earlier example). You have to be careful what you input while recording a path. You can edit the path later, if you want.

I understand that each session has its own command line, but how can I remove a command line? The screenshot that hadar provided is the problem where you have two of them and if you click on the bottom one, it will send the commands to the other session and the top one will send the commands to the current session. It would be nice to just have one command line per session.

Also related to the command line, is there a way to keep the command line when you connect to a session? I started up CMUD and connected to my usual session but the command line was not there, so to get it back I had to right click on "Window Options" and go to "Show Command Line" to make it appear.

How does the #UNPATH command work? There is no documentation I can find on the forum or in the manual. I attempted to #unpath gate or #unpath gate {.2e} and get an "invalid command" error.

If I want to give the command line focus when I click off into the output window, you mean that I have to click on the command line any time I want to give focus to that object?

I realize that new software requires patience and learning to fully get the most out of it.

For now, I switched back to zMUD from CMUD, but what are the differences between the two clients? I just use simple triggers and paths, and don't need anything really complex.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:19 am   

Ah, you did adequately describe your problem. If you have two command lines attached like that, it means that you have accidentally removed the command line from one window and attached it to the other window. The easiest way to fix this is to remove your layout settings completely, then set up your windows the way you like again, and save the layout. To open your session without the the layout, close out the session. In the Sessions window, highlight the session you want to open. Hold down the SHIFT key and click Open Offline. Once the window is open, arrange the windows the way you want, then click Layout|Save Session Layout. The command lines should be attached to the right windows.

The problem with the session not showing the command line might be associated with the problem above. Try that and see.

As for #unpath, I'm certain there was supposed to be an #unpath command, to go along with #unvar, #undir, #untrig, etc. But you are correct, it doesn't exist. That means the only way to delete a path is to open the Package Editor and delete it by hand.

If you only have one command line attached to the window, (as fixed above) then clicking in the window should properly put the focus in the command line. Most of your problems appear to be due to accidentally moving that command line.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:13 pm   

Wow, in over 12+ years that's the first request for #unpath I think. You are right...I could have sworn that the command existed, but it doesn't. It's a trivial addition so I'll add it to the to-do list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: