Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Gael
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:24 am   

[3.12] Mapper Questions

Hi all,

I've been using v2.37 happily for about a year now, occasionally trying the betas but reverting because of too much instability. Now at v3.12 it seems I can stick with it but there are a couple of questions/issues I'm hoping to find out about. Apologies in advance if I'm covering old ground here, but I couldn't find anything in the older posts and search isn't terribly useful. Here goes:

Mapper : #WALK commands slow being sent to the mud
I always move around my map with a fast walk. In v2.37 it was possible to have all of the #WALK directions/commands sent to the game at once. With the beta there seems to be a delay in sending them no matter what I try to do. The Options-->Scripting-->General Scripting-->Delay between sending lines setting doesn't seem to have an effect. Nor does any setting I've tried in the map properties. It's not the actual algorithm to generate that path that's any slower, because I have another alias that generates the path instantly. Am I missing something?

Mapper : Room Script
With the beta, room scripts now appear to only be editable from the Package Editor, rather than from the room properties window. The text of the room script will show up there, but any changes must be done in the editor and this forces me to have TWO extra windows open when I'm building my map, rather than just one. I love the option to be able to use the script editor, but most of mine are simple and it would be far more efficient to be able to do this directly from the room properties script space. Is there a way to make the text box editable and not have to click on the 'Edit scripts for this room' button?

Thanks!
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:42 am   

Quote:

I always move around my map with a fast walk. In v2.37 it was possible to have all of the #WALK directions/commands sent to the game at once. With the beta there seems to be a delay in sending them no matter what I try to do. The Options-->Scripting-->General Scripting-->Delay between sending lines setting doesn't seem to have an effect. Nor does any setting I've tried in the map properties. It's not the actual algorithm to generate that path that's any slower, because I have another alias that generates the path instantly. Am I missing something?

Whether some really annoying obscure bug or just a reflection of Zugg's personal settings at the moment he compiles the executable, I've noticed that some upgrades (in both the CMud and ZMud series) set my walk mode to the SAFE speedwalking mode. Definitely annoying because you have to reset it, but harmless enough.

For the other stuff, I'll leave it to Zugg to explain the I-don't-wanna's.
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:29 pm   

With the Room Scripts, that's how the new version works. It doesn't make sense to replicate the script editor functionality in the Room Properties window. That's why you need to use the Settings Editor. While I can understand your need for *simple* scripts, I want people to learn to add their room scripts via the Settings Editor so that they will understand that they can now treat rooms just like normal class folders.

For example, if you want an alias to be active within a room, I don't want people to put an #ALIAS command into their room script like in the old mapper. I want them to go to the Settings Editor and create an Alias that is stored within the Room Class Folder, just like a normal alias.

It's really not hard to just close the Settings Editor when you are done editing a script. If your scripts are simple then you probably don't have a lot of rooms that are using this.
Gael
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:44 pm   

Thanks for the responses, gents.

Room scripts:
An interesting design choice, and that's fine. I can certainly live with it, though I do have hundreds rooms with little 2-liners that set up a parameters for a more generic scripting approach. Maybe a future configuration setting, off by default, that makes the textbox in the Room properties editable as it was. :) I certainly wouldn't expect the full script editor functionality.

#WALK commands:
Resetting the type of speedwalk doesn't seem to help the (slow) rate at which the commands are sent to the mud. Any other ideas?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:29 pm   

I have no idea on the #WALK slowdown. In Fast mode the entire path is sent to the MUD right away and I'm not seeing any slowdown here. All I can suggest is trying it in a new, blank session and then import your scripts and enable them one by one to see if you have something that is interfering with the speedwalking. You might also try it without any room scripts to see if that makes any difference. This will be very hard to track down without more information on how to reproduce it.
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:54 pm   

What if the Empty text box in in the Room Properties->Room scripts is made into a simple editor (no syntax highlighting) for an OnRoomEnter event in that room that way setting simple things like variables or maybe just issuing the "list" command when we enter the room easier to do as we wouldnt have to open the settings editor to create the OnRoomEnter Event. This would also allow you to click on the "edit scripts for this room" button to set up any alias and what not that we might need
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:54 pm   

That would work for simple commands, like sending "list" to the MUD when entering a store. But I don't want to encourage people to put "setting *creation* commands" into this field.

For example, in the old mapper, if you wanted a button to be shown when you entered a room, you would put the #BUTTON creation command into the Room Script. In the new mapper, the proper way is to create a Button object within the Room class folder. Then CMUD enables and disables the button instead of creating/deleting the button. Same with aliases and triggers. I'm concerned that having a simple edit box in the mapper will just encourage people to be sloppy with their room scripts, or prevent new/novice users from using the proper settings editor.

Oh, and also, you don't want this to create an OnRoomEnter event. The room script should be the "Enable script" of the Room Class folder assigned to the room. That is much more efficient than using a lot of OnRoomEnter events. Remember that OnRoomEnter fires whenever you enter *any* room, so you have to include code to determine which room was entered.
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:30 pm   

Hmm when this popped in my mind using the onRoomEnter I was thinking along the lines of the event being created in the room so it would only trigger when the room was enabled. I wasn't even aware of the the enable script part on the class folder that makes more sense. either way it would be nice to edit these simple commands right from the room properties window.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: