Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
mawebr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:20 pm   

%addItem

I have a trigger, that when fired performs this...

Code:
%additem( %2, @cList)

where cList is a string list type variable, and %2 is a single word. The problem that I am having is that instead of adding the word to the variable list, it instead sends that word directly to the mud. I have tried %concat with the same error.

Any ideas?
orphean
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:18 pm   

%additem returns a new list with the new item added, it doesn't modify the original list. The trigger should do this instead:
Code:
cList = %additem(%2, @cList)

Since %additem is returning the new list it will get sent to the mud if its called by itself just like anything else that isn't a command/function would.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:36 pm   

Functions (more accurately, anything that begins with % or @) return a result to the entity that called them. Commands (anything that starts with the number sign, or aliases), simply execute and send stuff to the game.

In your specific case, %additem() returns the new stringlist consisting of the old stringlist (@cList) plus the addition (%2). Since you didn't assign it to anything, the result is lost and @cList never gets %2 added to it.
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:48 pm   

So, you could also use the #ADDITEM command instead:

#ADDITEM cList %2

which is the most efficient way to add an item to a list and modify the list. This is faster than using the %additem function.
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:07 pm   

Zugg wrote:
So, you could also use the #ADDITEM command instead:

#ADDITEM cList %2

which is the most efficient way to add an item to a list and modify the list. This is faster than using the %additem function.

Unless, of course, you're needing to add duplicates, in which case you'll need to use %additem. Otherwise, #ADDITEM is definitely better.

Charneus
mawebr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:25 pm   

Thank-you so much. I will try this when I get home. I am indeed using duplicates in a list, I had used #ADDITEM and it worked perfectly but with duplicates %additem is my only choice. Appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: