Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
jjloraine
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:38 pm   

Zmud freezing

I've been using zmud for nearly 8 years, and this issue has only cropped up in the past few months. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this and if it's something with a common fix:

I'll be playing a mud and suddenly the screen will simply stop scrolling. If I click in the mud window, it'll refresh the screen, but at a very slow, very laggy rate. I check task manager and suddenly zmud's popped up from the normal 30-50k to 100-120k of my CPU. If I have two muds running at the same time, the issue only happens in the screen for ONE of the muds. The only way to fix this that I can find is to close the frozen mud's window, or sometimes terminate zmud altogether.

Any ideas?
Erasmus
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:52 pm   

Do you have any scripts that run using COM by any chance?

I never had it freeze to the point that I had to close the window and/or restart, but after having the mud up for a few hours whenever I run a COM script Zmud laaaaagggggs for a good 15 to 20 seconds.
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:35 pm   

I don't think so. What's COM? I use mudbot for curing, most of my other codes are just basic stringlists, and there haven't been any new things put in right before this started happening.
Tarken Aurelius
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:40 pm   

What kind of COM script are you running and what kind of programs are you using COM to interact with? COM can potentially consume a lot of resources, especially if you're using long and complex interactive sequences. One thing that you might want to try, if it works for you, is severing the zMUD->Application connection whenever it isn't absolutely necessary for them to be connected at all times. Or perhaps if you're updating data to an excel file, perhaps only have it sync every 15 minutes or so.
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:35 am   

No, it has nothing to do with scripts (I am guessing this is what COM means?). I use mudbot curing for combat, so all of that is handled externally from zmud. It's not normal lag, either, from processing a crazy function or anything like that - the screen itself will simply not scroll, unless I repeatedly click on the mud window. This happens on all the muds I play, and none of them use the same settings. It happens at least once a day, sometimes up to 4-5 times a day, and the only way I can fix it is to control+alt+delete and close zmud that way. In addition, one tabbed mud may be fine, but the other one will be having this problem.
jjloraine
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:37 am   

Oh, and in addition, zmud itself will continue to work, happily running scripts. It's just viewing anything that is near impossible, but every time I click on the screen during one of these freakouts and it updates, my bashing script will merrily be chugging away.
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:25 am   

Does this happen when you kick off a #SAVE or a #LOG appending/overwrite perhaps?
The other possibility is you have a window that is reconnecting and during the resolution of the address you freeze?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: