Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:20 pm   

CMUD 3.11 Beta status/ETA

As you know, I've been focusing more on bugs that effect both TeSSH and CMUD so that I can try to get TeSSH closer to a Public release. I plan on the next BETA release next Friday.

I spent some time last week trying to get my local bug database into a server-based bug tracking system on the new www.tessh.com web site. But I'm still running into some issues that I don't like about the Project Issues module in Drupal, and I've decided that I need to put the online bug list project back on hold for now and work more on just getting a beta release done. Then I'll go back to the web site issues later.

My current bug list for CMUD and TeSSH is a mess. It's full of partial bug reports that either can't be reproduced, or full of issues that only effect a very small number of people. Trying to prioritize this list is taking a lot of time and effort. Once I get this bug list online, then I'll be able to get your help with it to figure out what bugs absolutely need to be fixed before the 3.x Public release.

However, in the meantime, I'm going to ask for your help to please "bump" any bug reports in this Beta Forum that you really think are *critical* for the next Beta version of CMUD. Bugs that only effect CMUD (like mapper issues) will take a lower priority than bugs that effect both CMUD and TeSSH. But I plan to spend at least a couple of days on CMUD Mapper bugs as well, so help me try to prioritize what needs to be fixed first.

Losing the entire month of Sept really got me out of the "groove" on this. I apologize for how long it is taking. The upcoming holidays next month probably aren't going to help. But I want to get a good release candidate before the holidays, and then spend January doing the full release of TeSSH, CMUD 3.x Public, and the new TeSSH.com web site (which will eventually become the Zuggsoft.com replacement web site).
orphean
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:47 pm   

Do you see 3.11 Beta as primarily a bug fix release? I know you're planning on including the new sqldb stuff (which is really awesome), so there's at least one new feature.

Any other features you see going in at this time?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:53 pm   

The sqldb stuff is the only thing new in v3.11. The rest is bug fixing. I'm trying to keep the number of new features to a minimum since that tends to just introduce new bugs and make the Beta cycle go on forever. Fortunately, the new sqldb stuff is pretty modular and isolated from the rest of CMUD, so adding this shouldn't cause any unusual side effects.

The FTP module in the previous beta version, and the SQLDB feature in 3.11 are the last remaining features that were needed for TeSSH (from potential customers telling me what they wanted in a sysadmin Telnet/SSH tool). There might be a something minor added for automatically importing PuTTY sessions, or little stuff like that. But now that the SQLDB stuff is finished, everything else until the Public Release should be bug fixes, documentation work, and website work (getting the new ecommerce store working, etc).

On the CMUD side, the Phase 2 mapper improvements for the mapper configuration (improved config, storing config in shared library, etc) won't be added until after the first v3.x Public release of CMUD early in 2010.
orphean
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:25 pm   

Sounds like you'll be plenty busy for the rest of the year! I can definitely understand why a public release is a high priority item since the folks who use stable are still on 2.37.

Looking forward to the new features that are just over the horizon like your continued mapper work, zml forms, cmapper, and some minor features like a sticky prompt.

Anyway, thank you so much for creating Cmud. I was never a zmud user, cmud was my first purchased zuggsoft product but at this point I'm a loyal zuggsoft customer.

edit: Just as a quick addendum, earlier today I realized I wanted a way to track my average damage per fight on aardwolf so I can see what spells are most effective against what etc. Literally 10 minutes later I created a new module that did exactly that. Cmud really rocks.
wrym
Magician

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:09 pm   

I think that ReedN's list covers most of the big ones:

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33793

Most important i think are #find, #nodir, and other type exits.

As i've also noticed room scripts changing on the direction being executed at direction execution, and not #ok, nexela's post:

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34065

For a stable TeSSH, i think that MCCP/MXP/VT100/Xterm are the important issues, besides ftp/SQL.
"To the engineer, all matter in the universe can be placed into one of two categories: (1) things that need to be fixed, and (2) things that will need to be fixed after you've had a few minutes to play with them" - Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:30 pm   

As mentioned by Wrym, I had already created such a list back at the end of July, hoping that a tidy list might help entice you to dally a bit upon the items and perhaps fix a few of the issues. I've bumped the list as requested.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:21 am   

Released.

Going to dinner now. I'm also not feeling to great, so I think I'm coming down with another cold or something. But I'll try to take a look at the forums later tonight to see if there are any critical problems with the new version.
wrym
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:24 am   

WHOHO!, thanks Zugg!

You've put in a couple long, hard late days, and killed a lot of bugs it looks like!
"To the engineer, all matter in the universe can be placed into one of two categories: (1) things that need to be fixed, and (2) things that will need to be fixed after you've had a few minutes to play with them" - Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:31 am   

Well, it's been work over a few weeks now, but ... yeah. Hope it works better for everyone. Don't know if I'll get another Beta out before the holidays or not...I'll have to wait and see if everyone is "Naughty or Nice" :)
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:35 am   

Hope you aren't getting sick.

At first glance I didn't see anything malfunction for me when I installed 3.11 and used with my normal play. I'll check the individual bug reports later on.

Thanks for all the bug work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: