Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
boy_icon

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:22 pm   

Custom Directions

Hi all. I am having trouble with the mapper, trying to get it to behave differently with custom directions. What I want it to do is to never change Levels when I go up or down. I just want a new room, adjacent to the previous room but I never want to leave ground level. I am doing this because the mud I am currently trying to map (Achaea) is laid out oddly, and circular paths do not always end up on the same level on which they started out. I think this would be a much more elegant solution than simply linking the room on level 2 to the room on level 0.

I have successfully done something similar with the directions in and out. (which aren't by default recognized directions)

I tried making new directions (up, down) and specifying other locations to put the room (The "Dir" drop-down) but the mapper behavior doesn't seem to change, even on a brand new fresh .mdb. Any thoughts?

Note: I am heavily using the #tag command to help the mapper identify parts of the rooms, but I have nothing in my triggers that has to do with individual directions like up and down. If that makes sense.

Thank you in advance for any response.

Justin
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:12 pm   

When you made the new directions, did you use a new package to store them? And if so, did you then go back and disable the English Directions package from your session?
boy_icon

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:32 pm   

I tried doing what you mentioned: I did not know how to use the package editor apparently.

I have fiddled with it a while, and I have gotten it to make a room next to the last room when I go up or down. It now uses the small circle symbol as the exit icon on the map. However it still does not do what I ask it to do. I start out with one room. Then I go up. The mapper makes a nearby room and correctly maps it. Now when I go back down it returns to the original room.

If I continue to go UP the spiral staircase though, it goes instead back DOWN to the original room. I have both up and down and in and out designated as "Other".

Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 3:34 pm   

You shouldn't edit the English Directions package directly, because any time you patch CMUD, the changes will be overwritten. Copy the two Directions folders into the main package for that session (or any other package that that session uses) and then remove the English Directions package from the session. That'll preserve your changes.

As for the actual question, I'm afraid I haven't played with that in quite a while so I won't be much help :(

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
mikeC130
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:51 am   

I think the simpler solution would be to just manually move your rooms to the appropriate level once you've determined the connections. You could move (for instance) the up/down-connected rooms so that they are north/south visually on the same level. While new unmapped rooms will be created on different levels when going up or down, you certainly don't have to leave them there. It may not be elegant, but it involves a lot less work with scripts and custom directions.

Mike
boy_icon

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:07 am   

Thank you all for your help. As was suggested, I will just move the rooms myself, until I figure a better way to do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: