Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Moo
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:00 am   

[3.05] Mapper bugs/anomalies

I've found lots of little problems, and had several crashes/errors.. but I expect they are known about already, and are mostly minor.. (Is there still a known-bugs list?)
The main problem I'm having since changing from 2.37 is like this..
Quote:
You are in a small room. There is a bed in the corner, and a small table in the middle of the room. On the wall you see a painting. To the south a doorway leads back to the hall.
Visible exit: south

Before, I could get the mapper to recognize the description and the exits, and put the first sentence as the name. With 3.05, it doesn't want to work, whatever settings I try. Either the name ends up blank, or the name has the whole description..
But here's the strange part.. If I use the autoconfig, the room created during that process has the name right, but any other further rooms I create have a blank name! Shocked
The only way I can get them to have the right name is to select "Generate Name from Desc" in the properties, enter that room, and do a reload...
jed
Adept

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:06 am   

One other thing I just noticed is that my configuration is changing on it's own it seems. I set my exit key word to
Code:
[Exits:
in order to better my room detection. But frequently, it is set back to
Code:
exit
when I know I didn't reconfigure or change it. It seems to me it may have something with the "look (reload room info)" command from the mapper menu. Are others experiencing this?
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:10 am   

Moo, is that a specific MUD?

And I never really noticed your issue Jed. *shrug* Maybe its because I don't tend to need that too much, but I'd probably have used exit anyway, as it covers Exit, Exits, and any other combination that uses the phrase.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:37 am   

mine keeps switching from 'obvious exits' as well
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:17 am   

That was just an example I wrote, not an actual paste.. But the exits are detected fine, as are the room descriptions...
It's just the name thats strange.. And that did work fine in the old version!
Also strange is that this version creates one room correctly, but only one..
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:52 pm   

Moo, it certainly looks like you need the "Generate name from description" turned on, if that is a typical room description. It is not always easy for the autoconfigure to realize that, so you probably have to edit the configuration. Examine the entire configuration and see if there are other ways to improve the configuration to match your mud's style. Autoconfigure is not perfect, and cannot be. It often needs tweaking.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:23 pm   

Can you figure out what is causing the room exit keyword to change? Is it changing when you use the Reconfig option, or just when you exit CMUD and reload, or what? I need more details on that to fix the problem.

The actual AI code that detects room names/descriptions/exits hasn't changed in the 3.0x versions...that work comes in the Phase 2 of the new mapper work. So the actual room detection should be working the same as in 2.37. But if something is changing the room keyword, then that might be the cause of the bug.
Moo
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:40 am   

The "Generate name from description" might be what I need, but I can only set that for individual already-existing rooms, there doesn't seem to be a way to set it as default. If I set it manually for rooms and then reload, it still doesn't fix the name.
The keyword thing sometimes changes for me too, without having used the reconfigure in the meantime, but the exit detection works ok with it set to "exit", so it's not that. The room name thing doesn't work even when I change the keyword to something more specific either... Except for the rooms created by the autoconfig!
I've compared my settings with the older version, and they are the same.
For now, I've made a trigger to automatically make the correct room name from the description..
But.. Shocked
I just disabled it.. and the room names seem to still be right.. Odd!
At least.. It was working, until I changed to a different zone.. I was using a test zone.. Now the exit keyword changed, and I can't get the room names to work again at all.. Very strange.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:26 pm   

Hmm...can anyone else confirm that it is changing zones that causes the exit keyword to be changed? That actually might make sense since the old mapper could load zone-specific configuration files, which is something that I'm trying to remove to simplify the configuration system. If you accidentally did a "Save for this Zone" in the configuration menu, then you might have gotten a zone-specific file saved.

Try looking in the same directory that has your *.DBM map database for any files that end in *.ZFG or *.CFG. You should only have a single *.ZFG file with the same name as the map database. If you have a *.CFG file named for one of your zones, then that is the configuration that is getting loaded when you enter the zone.
Moo
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:37 pm   

Ahh.. Yes I had several ZFG and CFG files.. I'm going to move them elsewhere and see if that helps.
Moo
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:06 pm   

3.19c now, the mapper problem still exists.

Quote:
> east
This is a lovely market square, where people mill about doing the kind of things you would expect people to do in a lovely market square. Brightly coloured stalls stand in the corners of the market. They seem to do good business judging by the steady stream of consumers ducking under the flaps. There is a pile of broken ceramic shards in the corner of the market.
There are two obvious exits: west and east.

Using a "fresh" install of cmud beta. If I run the reconfigure in the mapper, and it goes east into that room, it will correctly set the description of the room and the exits.
It will also set the name of the room to "This is a lovely market square, where people mill about doing the kind of things you would expect people to do in a lovely market square".
This, I believe, is the correct behavior. However, if I then immediately walk into an identical room, it will create it properly, but with an empty name. Further rooms will be created with empty names.

Running the reconfigure will create rooms with names. Walking normally will create rooms with no names. This is wrong. 2.37 created all the rooms with the first sentence as the name, as the reconfigure still does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: