Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zander2001
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:25 pm   

OLC and ZMUD

I just recently got my imm on the mud I play and I came up with a great idea... Make a settings file solely for the purpose of OLC coding . However I have a few problems...I know that the way the (.) gets used in zmud makes things diffacult in olc. If anyone would consider helping me build this script I guess you could call it I would appreciate it...any questions you have just ask!

Live each day like it's your last!
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 7:17 pm   

What on earth is OLC? :)

Lady C.
Zander2001
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2001 8:03 pm   

OLC is the type of code used in some muds to build with
I was looking to make a setup that would make mine and hopefully many other peoples building days alot easier...I just need someone who is an expert with ZMUD to make it happen...so if anyone out there likes doing something new with zmud please give me a reply

LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2001 7:54 pm   

You could just go to the Special Characters page of your character's Preferences and either disable the Movement Char or change it to something other than a period.

LightBulb
Nezic
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 6:26 am   

OLC stands for OnLine Creation, which basically means the mud has it's own commands/syntax to build onto the game world while playing, instead of making area files separately. I know there is code for a couple widespread OLC systems that people can download and add to their own mud bases, but I haven't used them. (the mud I help with has it's own semi-incomplete(so far) system).

hm I think that makes sense

Nezic
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 8:40 am   

You could tell us exactly what you are looking for. Since I have no idea what OLC looks like, I can't tell what sort of settings you might need..

If the special characters get in the way, I would suggest turning off parsing altogether while coding.

Lady C.
Zander2001
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 1:56 pm   

OLC has alot of programming commands obviously since it is an internal programming language. I was looking to make a setup that was menu driven by buttons. When you would press a button it would bring up prompts asking for certain things and when you input those things it would automatically program it into the mud..depending on what button you pushed..to find out what it looks like you can look on the web..I will find the address for the site I used to learn and post it on here..any other questions just ask.

Acaila
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 2:31 pm   

I don't presume to have any knowledge about using OLC, but reading your posts it seems to me you want to make something much more elaborate than zMUD scripting can/should do. Wouldn't it be easier to just write a program in visual basic containing all your buttons which creates a file with text you can then copy&paste right to the mud?

I know for a fact that's very easy if you're a builder, dunno about a coder though.

Acaila
Zander2001
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2001 3:16 pm   

Hmm I don't think it should be too diffacult..I know I could do it but there are a few commands I do not know that well..like the prompt command...and others..anyway I got the address if anyone wants to take a look at what olc looks like
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dome/4876/

TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 6:52 am   

What I have done in the past with circle
mud OLC's is:

1) Do what Lightbulb suggested and change your . to something more useful to you.

or
2) interceed and make aliases the same as the main olc commands where I could then use the #SEND command to send directly the .command "%-1"

Option 1 is the quickest is you don't plan on automating the OLC. I have used option 2 to read zon output from a 3rd party zon creator and then successfully spit it into OLC.

TonDiening
Uses 6.16
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 9:07 am   

Ahh. Now I understand what you are on about :)

I agree with Acaila.. That would be a lot of work, you could do it of course, but you'd have a mega settings file. It would be much easier to write an extra programm, or a zMUD plugin for it. You can make buttons and pick-lists in zMUD, but thats about it. (The database might be helpful..) Its not really meant for designing an own interface with.

If you're really set on it, start thinking about how it should look, what buttons you need etc.

Lady C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: