Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
dANGER boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:12 pm   

CMUD Help Update Not Working

Whenever I try to update the help files for CMUD, I get the following error:

There was an error processing the help update:
File: <unknown>. Line 1 Col 1:Error:Invalid XML Character found.
Your network did not download the full help data.

I'm running the latest version of CMUD on Windows Vista with NIS 2008, if that helps.

Thanks for your help.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:00 pm   

I cannot reproduce this error. Sounds like you are behind some sort of firewall that might be preventing your computer from contacting the zuggsoft.com site to retrieve the help file. The error:
Quote:
Your network did not download the full help data.

indicates that your computer did not receive the data from our server.
dANGER boy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:11 pm   

I fixed it. I had thought that it was Norton Internet Security but after turning off its firewall and stuff, it still didn't work. Turns out it was my router. Just plugged by DSL directly in rather than through the router and it worked. Thanks for the help.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:34 pm   

It seems that CMUD Documentation does not update if you are behind a firewall. It looks like it doesn't pick up the proxy settings from the Network: Proxy server prefences panel. At work I'm getting the following error: "There was an error downloading the help update: Socket Error # 10061 Connection refused."
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:14 pm   

That is correct. For the help update and also the package library updates, CMUD is using the http socket stuff that is built into windows, rather than using it's own socket code. The stuff built into Windows uses the Internet Options settings in your Windows Control Panel to set the proxy data. This is the same proxy information used by Internet Explorer. If you use an alternate browser, such as FireFox, this proxy data doesn't get set properly. So always make sure your Internet Options control panel contains the correct proxy info, even if you don't use IE directly. Lots of different software uses this information.

Updating CMUD to use the proxy info in the Network Connection preferences within CMUD is on the list for the future.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:46 pm   

How odd I can't get it to work no matter what I set in Internet Options or through proxycfg.exe. It's using standard HTTP port 80 for the updates right?
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:58 pm   

I decided to take a further look and downloaded TCPView from www.sysinternals.com and it's reporting that the help update is going direct to www.zuggsoft.com:http it doesn't matter what I have in Internet Options, I even made sure there was no bypass list there and still it goes direct.

I think that there should be no problem testing this for yourself by putting a complete load of nonsense in the Internet Options and since you have no firewall you should get a successful update.

Proxycfg.exe has a first line of Microsoft (R) WinHTTP Default Proxy Configuration Tool and I have no idea what bearing this has on the http socket stuff built into windows but I made sure that I tested the settings I had in Internet Options with proxycfg set and not set.

[EDIT]If you are using the older WinINet API with InternetReadFile through InternetOpenUrl or HttpOpenRequest rather than the newer WinHTTP then proxycfg has absolutely no relevance to this at all.[/EDIT]

[EDIT2]Well given the 10061 error you're actually using Windows Sockets 2 and again proxycfg has no relevance. The above test with a nonsense proxy should succeed and point out a problem.[/EDIT2]

Last edited by Taz on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:28 pm   

OK, that's definitely weird. I'm pretty sure the Delphi HTTP routines are using WinINET API. And I thought WinINET was using the Internet Options proxy information.

But as I said, the issue is on my list to just use the Network Connection Preferences in the future and to call the INDY networking components which is what the rest of CMUD uses.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:48 pm   

Edit number 2 points to them using Windows Sockets 2 instead since the WinINet API has different error messages.
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:31 pm   

Bah. I just checked the code and it's even worse. It *is* already using the INDY networking components for the web stuff, and *not* WinINet. But the code just never sets any of the Indy proxy fields. So basically there isn't any way to set the proxy information for the help file updates, or the package library updates. I moved this higher on the priority list.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:19 pm   

I'm not sure how important it is. It's only recently that I've been restricted to having to use the proxy at work and who else has even noticed this problem?
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:05 pm   

I noticed this a long time ago, and even posted about it. I wasn't ever able to get it to work so i just figured that my works firewall was blocking this stuff.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:17 pm   

I've noticed it quite a while ago. If ever I'm behind a proxy it doesn't work. So if I need to perform it, I would do it at home when I don't have a proxy between me and the server.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: