Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:07 am   

[3.04] Zone drop down defaults to a wrong zone

I have a map that was developed in 2.37 (and has some zMapper modifications). When I open the map in 3.04 there are several zones that don't display but instead 'default' back to a particular. What I mean I'll pick zone Allanos, or Crossroads from the drop down list and the Arkam Asylum zone is displayed. This doesn't happen for all zones.

I haven't really detected a pattern but most (not all of my zones) that 'default' have custom zMapper rooms in them. I'll send you a zip file with the original .mdb and the converted .dbm maps.
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:06 pm   

I received the files and will take a look at them later today. I haven't seen this with any of my maps, so it might be something corrupted in either the old or new map file. But I'll let you know.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:45 pm   

Tech, I looked at your map files and I wasn't able to reproduce any problem with the zone drop-down box. I was able to select all of your different zones just fine here, even the ones that had the custom shapes and icons from zMapper. So I'm not sure what might be wrong. I created a new session called SilverBridge and then copied the *.PKG, *.MDB and *.DBM files into that directory and opened the session offline. I tried a lot of different zones and they all seemed to open and display without a problem.

If I delete the *.DBM file and let CMUD convert the 2.37 map file, then it also works fine for all zones in the dropdown list. So I'm stumped on this one.

On the positive side, it did give me a good test case to reproduce the duplicate map objects in your other post.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:29 pm   

Hmmm... I'll play around with it a bit more. I swear I deleted and reimported the .dbm as well and had the same error. I'll try a new session like you did and see what happens.
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:11 am   

I tried it in a new session and it worked fine, so I'll just write it off as a one time quirk.

[Edit] The problem seems to be related to my .xly file. I copied my original layout and I saw the problem again. I'll email that to you as well.
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:36 pm   

Received the files and will try again later today.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:48 pm   

The window UID values in the XLY layout file you sent me no longer matches the UID values for the windows in your *.PKG files. So the layout was pretty messed up for me here. But I still didn't get any problems with the zone drop-down or with loading any zones.

I have no idea how the XLY file could have any effect on loading zones. Does holding down the SHIFT key to create new layout files solve the problem? Looks like I'm going to need you to try more testing on your system to see if you can pin down exactly what is causing it on your system since I just can't get it to fail here. Maybe it's something in one of the other map files, like the INI file or something?

Instead of loading a zone via the dropdown, does double-clicking a zone link on the map open the zone properly? The zone drop-down menu is calling the same LoadZone code as double-clicking a zone link, so maybe that will give a clue. Totally perplexed on this one.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:23 pm   

Odd, at first it seemed like holding down Shift to reset the layout fixed the problem but that doesn't seem to be the case. Sorry for the red-herring. Copying in the layout definitely seemed to recreate it. It must have worked originally because I'd created a new session. This time around I'll send you the entire directory with the problem re-created. I'll try to make sure I only send it once this time.

Ok this is really weird. I went to View -> Show Panels and I was able access each Zone properly from the Zone List. Even weirder, simply having the panel open made the drop down list work properly. The problem also occurs when I click the Zone Link (for example clicking on Allanos), and what's more it's also fixed as well when the Zone panel is open.

I'll update this when I have more, and hold off on sending the files.

[Edit] The problem also occurs when I click the Zone Link (for example clicking on Allanos), and what's more it's also fixed as well when the Zone panel is open.

I think the crux of this working/not working has to do with Show Panels. I didn't mention it before because mine are normally closed, and I thought that was the default.
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:41 pm   

I always have the Show Panels turned off on my system, so that doesn't really explain it for me.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:43 pm   

Ok.. I'll zip the directory and send the files.
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:24 pm   

I got the full directory of files and it DID reproduce the problem. So now I'll try to track down what's going on here.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:39 pm   

Found it!

It was a bug in the routine called when the map window is resized. The map tries to center the current room in the window. And if a different zone was loaded, it was forcing the zone containing the current room to be loaded. So it was actually switching zones, but then switching back again.

This only happened when the new zone was causing a switch between scroll bars displaying or not displaying. With the Zone Panel open, the scrollbars were always visible, so this routine wasn't getting called. In my testing, I had a smaller overall MUD and map window, so the scrollbars also were visible. But with your specific window layout, some zones fit into the map without scrollbars, and switching between one of those zones and a different zone was calling the routine to re-center the room (and reload the other zone).

The fix was easy...if the current location zone doesn't match the currently displayed zone, no attempt is made to recenter the map.

Yet another obscure bug. Thanks for your patience in tracking this down.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:14 am   

Zugg you rock!!! You rock hard!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: