Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum Goto page Previous  1, 2
XonDK Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:36 am
BETA to Public ETA?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:26 am   

I got the speakers today and they work fine, verifying that the old subwoofer/amp was truely dead. I found a way to re-route the volume pod so that it still reaches my desk. Man, Logitech is really getting cheap though...their speakers have phono plugs wired into them instead of using normal speaker-wire connections, and the length of the cables for the main left/right speakers is really short. They just barely reached to where I needed them. It's true that I already knew about this issue from the reviews, but I still needed to complain about it.

And of course they don't sound nearly as good as my old ProMedia 5.1 system...then again they were a *lot* less expensive. Too bad Logitech is taking over all of these markets...where is the competition these days???
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:29 pm   

Back to the original topic of this post...well, almost. I'm going to hijack it to talk about the status of the 3.04 BETA version.

Bug fixing is going pretty well, and I think it's very likely you'll see a 3.04 release on Friday. The list of bug fixes is rather extraordinary...I may have set a new record with this one.

Of course, that means the chance of *new* bugs in 3.04 is pretty high. Just today I discovered that a bug "fix" I did last week suddenly caused MXP to completely break. It wasn't until I logged into a MUD and started playing that I noticed something was amiss. But that is fixed now, and I was able to play the MUD with the new mapper without any problems today. But I'm sure there will be plenty of other problems to fix.

Still cleaning up a few loose ends, so that's why it won't be ready until Friday.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:09 am   

I don't get computer speakers... ok they're convenient because they fit on your desk, but personally I can't stand 'em. I either wear $200+ DJ headphones, or my computer speakers follow the "patented Rainchild(TM) techonology recycling system" whereby when I upgrade my home theatre, my old home theatre becomes my computer speakers, and my old old home theatre becomes my partner's computer speakers, and my old old old home theatre becomes my alarm clock :p

More on topic... having that #SAVE feature produce multiple levels of backups is pretty sweet, but it would be much cooler if you timestamped them (eg "settings_20090305194423.pkg") and had a "keep my backups for X weeks" type scenario, rather than "keep my last X backups".

Just a thought, but probably a waste of time :)
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:45 am   

No, I'd agree. Having them timestamped would be quite useful.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:24 pm   

I don't like wearing headphones or the ear-buds with my iPod, because it makes it harder for me to hear Chiara if she needs me. In a normal office environment I'd agree (because speakers would bother co-workers), but for a home office, I prefer speakers.

I thought about timestamped backups and may add that in the future. But honestly, in most situations you just don't need to keep that many backups. If you really had 100 backups from every different time you entered and exited the settings editor, would you really be able to remember exactly which one contained the change that you were looking for?

The only reason for the X number of backups is just because only one backup isn't enough in many cases. As in zMUD, automatic backups are generated when you open and close CMUD, so if there was just a single backup file, it could easily become corrupted too. I think it's just as easy to set the backup number to 10 or so, and then use the normal file timestamp to determine when the file was saved. There's really no big need to replicate the file timestamp information into the filename itself in this case.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:58 pm   

I was just thinking how I normally create manual backups myself. Every week or so I copy the file into a backup directory with the date included in the name of the file. That way I can browse all the backups I have and the file name itself provides the date of backup. I was thinking it would be slick to be able to select one of your backups every once in a while and throw it over into the backup directory.

But anyway, I'll stick with my prior method. It sounds like your backups will have all similar names so I'll need to rename it anyway to keep them from clobbering each other when copied into the same directory.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:14 pm   

New 3.04 beta version is now released.

I'm going to be away from my computer most of this weekend, but I should be able to get back to answering posts with new bug reports on Monday. I'll check the forums again later tonight to make sure there isn't some huge horrible problem that needs a quick fix. But hopefully all of the new changes have fixed more problems than they have caused.

Please start testing 3.04 as much as possible so we can tell how close this is to a public version.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:14 am   

Thanks for the fixes. I found a new problem with text appearing on the prompt line which is new to this version and I'm fairly certain was caused by a bug fix. Hopefully it's what you consider a 'huge horrible problem' so it gets a quick fix. Smile
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:19 pm   

Zugg wrote:
I probably have several hundred "issues" in the tracking database for CMUD. Some of these are very minor, some of them were reported for old versions and I haven't had the time to see if they are really fixed in newer versions

I've reported a handful of bugs that would fall in this category of being reported on an older version of CMud and which might or might not still exist. In the past I've refrained from retesting these unless I had cause to think they should have been fixed from the change log. If it would be useful I could certainly save you some time by retesting these with the current version and perhaps cleaning up the procedure to reproduce them.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:29 pm   

ReedN, that would be a huge help. Doing the testing and then posting procedures for showing the results of the test would be great. Bugs that have simple procedures to reproduce them always get pushed higher on my priority list.

Just be sure to make a single forum post for each bug/test. That makes it easier for me to track in my database.
ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:50 pm   

Zugg wrote:
Just be sure to make a single forum post for each bug/test. That makes it easier for me to track in my database.

Could you clarify? I had envisioned posting to the original thread with the update/new procedure. Did you want a new thread started containing a compaction/simplification of the old thread's information?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: