Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:30 pm   

Small feature request for upcoming Betas/Full versions...

It should be simple to code unless it's dealing with third party applications, but here is my wish...

Please, please, PLEASE allow a toggle to disable the 'help' in suggesting the full version of what you're typing in package editor. What do I mean?

Typing %null will have a little box pop up telling me that null is what I'm typing, essentially. I realize things like subchar, subregex and whatnot can be someone helpful, but there should be a toggle. I really do liken this help system to that of Microsoft's paperclip. Not to mention the most frustrating part about it this:

somevariable=%null

requires me to have to press enter twice in order to move on to the next line. The first enter "accepts" that what I wanted was %null indeed, even after it had been fully typed out, and the second enter is the new line enter.

Just something to think over. I would really appreciate this in the next version, though. I'm not sure if others feel the same way. Of course, if I have overlooked something, someone, please, point it out to me.

Thank you,
Charneus
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:48 pm   

That's the code completion feature in the editor. The idea is that you only need to type %nu and then press Enter to select %null from the list. So it actually makes typing code faster when you get used to it.

I agree that the Scintilla editor code completion could be a bit smarter and not display the popup when you have already typed the entire function name already, but that's built into the Scintilla editor control and I can't control that part of it.

But I'll certainly add an option in the future so you can turn it off if you want.

But geez, it's *nothing* like the Microsoft paperclip (*shudder*).
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:52 pm   

Zugg wrote:

But geez, it's *nothing* like the Microsoft paperclip (*shudder*).

Am I the only one who think the paperclip was a good idea? Think about it a bit in the MUD context:
1. The user is typing "get fish" a lot after the line "you catch a fish" appears. So the cMUD assistant suggests adding a trigger for it.
2. The user is a lot in a certain set of rooms. The cMUD assistant informs about bookmarks in the mapper.
3. There is a lot of channel communication. The cMUD assistant suggest adding a trigger to capture the chats to a frame.

I think the basic idea is pretty good. You provide help depending on what the user is doing, and you could aid to complete common tasks automatically. It is a much more clever version of the "tip of the day" feature.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:21 am   

It looks like you're writing a letter!

It looks like you're writing a letter!

IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE WRITING A LETTER!!!

Actually, a long while ago we harassed Zugg into adding a "trigger wizard" feature to zMUD which would let us guru-esque folks implement a "next next next" type wizard to create a bunch of triggers for a user... so essentially, we were supposed to be making the paperclip for our MUDs. Of course, I think we all ended up being lazy or something... but that's not to say some motivated individual couldn't make a paperclip package and upload it to the CMUD package library.

I feel that these things are far too mud specific for Zugg to build it into CMUD's core code... for instance my MUD didn't support fishing but you could pick berries.

If you look at food, I've been on MUDs where you don't have to eat, I've been on others where it gives you a different message depending on how hungry you are (eg "You are hungry." or "You are starving."), but it can be expressed in other ways too - "Your stomach is rumbling."

And then the responses can all be different, one MUD may support the generic keyword "food". Another might make you type in "apple.pie" or whatever it is you have in your inventory.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:02 am   

Rainchild wrote:

I feel that these things are far too mud specific for Zugg to build it into CMUD's core code... for instance my MUD didn't support fishing but you could pick berries.

If you look at food, I've been on MUDs where you don't have to eat, I've been on others where it gives you a different message depending on how hungry you are (eg "You are hungry." or "You are starving."), but it can be expressed in other ways too - "Your stomach is rumbling."

What I meant was that you would avoid look at the context and instead look at the patterns. If the user send a lot of "eat food" commands after the message "Your stomach is rumbling" has been shown over some time, then you could conclude that when "Your stomach is rumbling" is shown from the MUD then the command "eat food" should probably be sent. You could let the user customize the command so it works better if it gets it wrong.

If you are on a MXP MUD then the MUD might be sending hp information to you. If that is the case and the hp is decreasing you could try detect what would cause it to go up again. For example you might notice the user types "cast heal self" a lot and after that command the hp increase again. Thus you conclude that "cast heal self" probably causes hp to increase and ask if the user would like to do it automatically.
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:05 pm   

You're talking AI level interpretation. How is your paperclip supposed to know what hp is? All it knows is it is a two letter name associated with some value which appears to be a number. Do you want the paperclip to track everything you do that might be affecting every value in the prompt? Track every single line from the mud and every command to see if one freqently follows another? Analyze frequency and repetition of commands individually and in sets? And to avoid annoyance, keep track of every time the user declines to follow your suggestions? Even the Microsoft paperclip is more limited than that; it has a specific set of things it looks for.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:08 pm   

Rahab wrote:
You're talking AI level interpretation. How is your paperclip supposed to know what hp is?

By incorporating standard variable names in the MXP specification. For example if you know you have fields for hp, mana, and staming then you could pretty easily also provide user interface for it such as gauges. You could also do a guess. hp is probably health points Very Happy.

Quote:

All it knows is it is a two letter name associated with some value which appears to be a number. Do you want the paperclip to track everything you do that might be affecting every value in the prompt? Track every single line from the mud and every command to see if one freqently follows another? Analyze frequency and repetition of commands individually and in sets? And to avoid annoyance, keep track of every time the user declines to follow your suggestions? Even the Microsoft paperclip is more limited than that; it has a specific set of things it looks for.

Sounds about what I suggested. It is a learning system where given what you know, you try to anticipate what the user would like to do and then offer to do it for them. You could probably get some of this done using probabilistic reasoning. E.g P(command | line-1, line-2, ..., line-n) would be the belief of some certain command to be issued given the last n lines retrieved from the MUD. If you notice that for some command and lines the belief is high, and you notice that the user does often enough end up typing the command after those lines then you suggest that you want to add a trigger {line-1, line-2, ..., line-n} -> command.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:06 pm   

Did you guys know that the mapper uses an AI system to determine the room name, description, and exits from the MUD text? Yeah, look how well that works (or doesn't). Works great on certain MUDs, and not so great on others.

Look at how many MUDs even bother to implement the current MXP spec. They could be tagging all sorts of stuff already (including the room name, desc, and exits for the mapper). Only a handful do this. You can already define gauges for hp,mana,etc using MXP...only a few MUDs do it. Look at how many MUDs can't even do telnet negotiation, or send LF CR instead of the CR LF required by the Telnet standard.

Yes, it's fun to dream about the stuff Rorso is suggesting, but it will never happen. I would spend months implementing a system that would only work on a handful of MUDs.

As Vijilante mentioned, I already did the trigger wizard as an experiment to see if this kind of stuff would be used, and I've only had a handful of people complain that CMUD doesn't have it yet. I've got a *LOT* more important items on my to-do list for now.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:59 pm   

Zugg wrote:
Did you guys know that the mapper uses an AI system to determine the room name, description, and exits from the MUD text? Yeah, look how well that works (or doesn't). Works great on certain MUDs, and not so great on others.

But it does work quite often. I don't think you can aim for 100% detection. If you manage 70% then that is very good. I have seen cases where it perfectly detects it all in the autoconfigure, and then does not work when actually trying to map the areas.

The MUD list in cMUD reports that 225 MUDs claim to have MXP support. I think that is pretty good, considering that many MUDs are very empty when you login to them.

I don't think there is any huge need for a paperclip in cMUD. I mainly wanted to show that the idea behind the paperclip might not be as bad as people make it look.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: