Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » SlightlyMorbid
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:04 am   

message pending but no warning sent

I triggered the death message and waited a while.

It now shows as pending when I log in but the owner account didn't get a warning email.

I had expected the warning email to go out immediately, and the general mailed notice to follow in 24 hours. Correct?

The service hasn't had a problem sending other notes to the same address (including the "copy"-flagged ones and the password recovery one).

-Tarn
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:24 am   

Added to bug list for tomorrow. You are correct that you should get the copy of the message immediately.

But let me make sure you have this correct...the "copy" flagged ones *are* the warning. So if you are getting those, then I think it's ok. It sends the owner a Copy of the message, and then the message gets mailed to friends 24 hours later. So did you not receive the "copy" immediately?
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:48 am   

Zugg wrote:
Added to bug list for tomorrow. You are correct that you should get the copy of the message immediately.

But let me make sure you have this correct...the "copy" flagged ones *are* the warning. So if you are getting those, then I think it's ok. It sends the owner a Copy of the message, and then the message gets mailed to friends 24 hours later. So did you not receive the "copy" immediately?

I think the copies I got were for the lesser event categories- I ran checks with several kinds of messages.

-Tarn
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:13 pm   

Ok, I think it's working as designed, but I misunderstood was supposed to happen.

Suggestion: The message copies should give information about what triggered them (message category, trustee, etc.), have a big warning on them if it's a serious trigger, and specify the time the message will go out.

Example of a problem:
User creates a custom category, "Unexpected trip"
He gets called away for a 3 day business trip and lets a trustee know.
Trustee mistakenly clicks on "accident" or "death", types up a message subject "USER won't be available Oct 20-25", text "USER was unexpectedly called away."
Trustee clicks send.
User gets a message with that subject and text and thinks everything is fine because what he sees is exactly what he asked for, but has no idea that the trustee clicked the wrong option box. A day later, a lot of unfortunate email gets automatically sent out.

The web interface could also give more information to confirm what the trustee just did than to say that a message has been sent ("You have just authorized a message of category 'hospitalization'. This message will be sent in 8 hours unless the account-holder recalls it.").

Additional feature suggestion: The trustee should be able to view and cancel pending messages that were authorized by him (possibly by other trustees too?).

-Tarn
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:37 pm   

The message sent to the actual friend has a different first paragraph that *does* show the category that triggered the message. So I'll add that to the copy that you initially receive too.

When the Trusted is sending a message, they are required to read a short agreement and click a checkbox to confirm. I'll try to improve this text a bit, and maybe I'll add an additional popup confirmation for the death category. I'll also improve the "Messages Sent" information a bit more.

A very important aspect of this site is to keep the user interface for the Trusted Contact super simple. I don't want to add a bunch of complex features to that part of the interface. One Trustee should *never* be able to see any messages composed or sent by another Trustee. They are completely independent by design.

Letting a Trusted view their own pending messages might be possible. Of course, you might also want to let them edit a message, or for them to set a specific delay on a specific message. Those are features I can see adding in the future.
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:04 pm   

Zugg wrote:
The message sent to the actual friend has a different first paragraph that *does* show the category that triggered the message.

Yes, that works for me:
"Your online friend "AAA BBB" put you on a list to be notified in
case of Long Lunch. That circumstance has occured, and this is the personal
message they stored to be sent to you in this event.
-----

blah blah blah
"

Quote:

So I'll add that to the copy that you initially receive too.

Great.

Quote:

A very important aspect of this site is to keep the user interface for the Trusted Contact super simple.

Good point.

-Tarn
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:28 pm   

I've added additional information to this email copy. Now it tells you which Trusted Contact has triggered the message, which friends the message will be sent to, which category was triggered, and the exact date/time the message will be sent if it is delayed. Take a look at the new message text and let me know what you think.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » SlightlyMorbid All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: