Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » SlightlyMorbid
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:16 am   

Misc Comments

1) I defined a new category, clicked it, typed an email message, and clicked "Send email to category" (without having defined any recipients). Suggestion: a warning that no recipients were defined rather than the "Messages sent" acknowledgement. The email history doesn't show any messages having been sent from the account.

2) "Messages sent" acknowledgement from (1). Suggestion: it was red/pink- that seems like a warning color, not a success color.

3) The categories on the Friends and Trusted Contacts pages, when clickable, are underlined if I haven't visted them. That can make it a bit visually confusing since they're all links.

4) I didn't have any friends defined, but checking the checkbox next to the delete button and clicking it added one to my list: https://www.slightlymorbid.com/friend/edit/66
(again) checking the checkbox next to the "delete selected" button and clicking it highlights that friend and pops up the dialog box again. Clicking yes, delete gives me another friend, number 67. This appears to be repeatable.

5) after 4 - selecting the first friend, 66, but not the box next to the delete key, followed by deleting, adds another friend (without removing the selected one). I can't get anything to delete- they just keep multiplying (even if I define one properly, and it shows name/address)

IE 6, patched. This was through a SOCKS proxy.

-Tarn
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:24 am   Re: Misc Comments

Update: Firefox, 1.5.0.12, allows deleting friend entries. From the same PC, no proxy, IE 6 still doesn't. I don't get Javascript warnings or anything like that, but can look into other settings if you'd like. Security level is "medium".

-Tarn
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:49 am   

1) Fixed.

2) Yes, the red is just used to catch your attention. It's a generic display of the message set by the previous page in the session, and there is no way for it to tell if it's an error message or just a notification. It's called session "flash data" and it's just a text string. I could probably make it fancier, but as long as the message catches your attention, then it's really working as designed. The contents of the message should indicate whether it's an error or not.

On that particular "Messages sent", I have added a list of friend's names that the message was sent to.

3) The Category names should all be underlined to indicate that they are hyperlinks, regardless of whether they have been visited or not. So I'm confused by your comment. Are you saying that there are cases where they are *not* underlined?

4) Cannot reproduce this on any browser, including IE 6 and 7. Sounds like something Vijilante reported that I also couldn't reproduce. Not sure what else to ask about this one. It shouldn't have anything to do with Javascript. The only special thing that I'm doing on that form is that I have the checkbox fields assigned a name like "check[]" to create an array of checkmarks. But I still can't see how that would add a friend instead of delete a friend. Maybe you can create a new post for this and give me the exact step-by-step instructions in case I'm doing something different.

5) Also cannot reproduce. This is serious. If both you and Vijilante are having this problem, I really need to figure out what is causing it.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:01 am   

Hmm I found something that describes the bug in IE 6. Not sure why I'm not getting the bug here, but here is a link:http://www.dev-archive.net/articles/forms/multiple-submit-buttons.html

Quote:
It gets worse though, Internet Explorer 6 has a further bug where it will treat all <button> elements as successful controls, and submit their data to the server, even if they were not clicked. This effectively makes using multiple button elements impossible.

The Friends and Trusted lists have multiple buttons in the form: The Add, Delete Selected, etc. So what's happening is that the code *thinks* you have clicked the Add button in IE 6 even though you didn't.

I've got an initial workaround where it only adds a friend if the Name field isn't empty, but I'm still reading to find a better workaround.

Damn IE.

Last edited by Zugg on Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:06 am   

Zugg wrote:

3) The Category names should all be underlined to indicate that they are hyperlinks, regardless of whether they have been visited or not. So I'm confused by your comment. Are you saying that there are cases where they are *not* underlined?

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Clear browser history, log in. Click the Friends link. All categories are underlined. Click a category. Click the friends link again. That category is no longer underlined (but is still clickable). If you mouse over it, the underlining turns on. Unvisited categories stay underlined. The same issue shows up for trusted contacts.

It seems to work in FireFox but not in IE (versions as noted).

-Tarn
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:15 am   

Zugg wrote:

2) Yes, the red is just used to catch your attention. It's a generic display of the message set by the previous page in the session, and there is no way for it to tell if it's an error message or just a notification. It's called session "flash data" and it's just a text string. I could probably make it fancier, but as long as the message catches your attention, then it's really working as designed. The contents of the message should indicate whether it's an error or not.

On that particular "Messages sent", I have added a list of friend's names that the message was sent to.

Followup: I tried sending a message to a group.

The notice says, "Messages sent to: Array". There's only one friend, named "test", and the email addy is the same throwaway address as the account user.

-Tarn
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:17 am   

3) OK, I think I have the links staying underlined now.

4) & 5) Since I'm not using "fancy" graphical buttons anymore, I ditched the BUTTON tag and went back to the normal/old INPUT type=SUBMIT button type. This is supposed to solve the bug in IE 6, so let me know if you still have any trouble with deleting friends.
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:23 am   

Zugg wrote:
3) OK, I think I have the links staying underlined now.

4) & 5) Since I'm not using "fancy" graphical buttons anymore, I ditched the BUTTON tag and went back to the normal/old INPUT type=SUBMIT button type. This is supposed to solve the bug in IE 6, so let me know if you still have any trouble with deleting friends.

Fixes confirmed: links stay underlined, and I'm able to delete friend entries in IE now.

-Tarn
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:33 am   

2) It was an explode/implode PHP typo. Should be fixed now.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » SlightlyMorbid All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: