Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
liareth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:41 pm   

V2.27 conversion problem

Running under xp sp2.

Just upgraded to v2.27.

Process seems to have corrupted all the password for my stored sessions.

Also, the password trigger from the autologin macro seems to stall before calling the password.

Any ideas? Especially how to regain the passwords? Cuz I'm not anxious to loose access to all my games :(

Liareth
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:19 am   

You know, now that you mention it, I also had to reset my password in character settings. That was all that was corrupted...

Charneus
liareth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:00 am   at least its not just me

Unfortunately some of these accounts are really old, and i just don't remember half the pwords. Any suggestions at all greatfully received?
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:08 am   

Only suggestion I can come up with is try reinstalling 2.26 and see if that fixes it. If you are, then go to Windows -> Script Debugger, go to Messages, make sure i) is checked, and type #PW in your MUD window to see what your password is. It will appear in the Script Debugger Window.

Charneus
acaykath
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:15 am   

I also experienced this corruption, while the password field in the session showed ******************* but my password is less than half that long. at the time #PW would send nothing and when I typed in the password manually, the first few tries returned a wrong password error for the mud. It seemed to work fine after I changed the password though.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:23 am   

Hopefully you've not installed old versions or anything in the meantime. You'll want to keep your bugged sessions.db and sessionkeys.db files in case Zugg wants to see them to fix the bug. I've not heard anything relating to this, so we'll have to see what he says.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Codric

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:10 am   

Hi
Running windows vista home edition and just uppgraded from cmud 1.34 to 2.27

All my triggers and aliases are gone and the text is white instead of green. Can i retrieve the 1.34 settings or do i have to make new triggers and aliases? Shocked
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:28 am   

I noted this as well. I did an upgrade install from 2.26 to 2.27.

Another minor thing I've noticed, even though it doesn't seem to affect actual functionality is that when I first open the settings editor for a gauge button, the variable is set in the Expr: field instead of the variable field.
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:02 pm   

Try going to File|Open... in the Settings Editor and open you package. I believe this should retrieve it.
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:57 pm   

Tech: Please put the problem with the Gauge button into a new bug report post so I can track it.

I'll look into the password problems. The new version *does* recreate the sessionkeys.db file where the encrypted passwords are stored, but it was supposed to just directly copy the old data into the new file. But I'll check this today.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:58 pm   

My password was corrupted, and I lost a couple of aliases because they got set to values taken from variables in a completely different package. Weird.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:06 pm   

I have no idea on the aliases problem. That is completely unrelated to the password issue. The password issue is because the sessionkeys.db file was rebuilt along with the sessions.db file to add a field to the database, and I forgot to copy the "master" record that is used to encrypt/decrypt all passwords in the file.

If aliases got messed up, then that's a separate bug, so report it in a separate post with as much detail as possible.

Anyway, I have the password problem fixed for the next version. The sessionkeys.db file *was* getting copied, but only 2 of the tables were copied. There is a table called "version" that contains the version of the file along with the master password record. If you set a Master password, that is stored in this record. If you don't create your own master password, then CMUD creates a random one to allow it to encrypt/decrypt the passwords in a very secure way. Since this record wasn't copied, CMUD had no way to properly decrypt the passwords that were stored in the file.
liareth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:11 am   

Cool to know what went wrong - but any way to recover the passwords? Otherwise I am out of a lot of accounts and some quite cherished characters.

Liareth
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:27 am   

Besides the fact that a password should always be something you can remember (or find)? :)

Many muds have the option of contacting their admin to get your password, or at least get it reset.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:44 pm   

Or restore a backup of your SESSIONKEYS.DB file to your CMUD directory. Remember that when installing *any* software, it's always a good idea to have backups. Hard disks *do* die these days (I've lost several in the past couple of years) so always make a backup of any files that is important to you on a regular basis.
liareth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:37 am   

I'll take that as a 'No!' then
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:53 pm   

Actually, when I looked into this a bit more, CMUD creates a backup of your SESSIONKEYS.DB file itself. There should be a backup file called SESSIONKEYS_BAK.DB in your CMUD directory. Just rename your existing sessionkeys file to something else and then rename the backup file to sessionkeys.db and then your passwords should be back.
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:01 pm   

Urm... Make a backup copy of your backup before you try this methinks!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: