Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:01 am   

Auto-save layout

I have to disable it whenever I log on Confused one would think turning it off would keep it off, no?
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:08 am   

I sort of feel like people just don't want to help me anymore. This should be a simple yes or no, one would think...
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:50 am   

Yeah, because stealing someone's gimmick is a good way to ingratiate yourself to them Evil or Very Mad

But, then, you haven't really said anything that needs a response. Clearly the option should stay off; clearly it doesn't. Therefore, it's a bug.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:54 am   

Hey! It shouldn't anger you. I really thought it was neat Sad

And, you could have posted what you just posted. "No, it should stay off. Must be a bug", to which I would say, "Thanks, I hope Zugg takes a look at it"
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:21 pm   

chamenas wrote:
Hey! It shouldn't anger you. I really thought it was neat Sad

Why shouldn't it? Fang came up with something that personalized his posts, you copy it and it now makes his posts less personal, I can tell you this it would anger me.
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:52 pm   

I think it means you're getting a little too invested in something that simply isn't worth it. And if you're going to let that anger you, then you have some issues to work on.
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:03 pm   

Locking this thread now, because the original question's been answered and it's heading south quickly. More questions? Start more threads.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:03 pm   

On the original issue: Yes, the Auto-Save Layout option is always enabled when you start CMUD. I used to save the value, but then too many people were complaining that there layout wasn't being saved because they had accidentally turned this option off.

There should be few cases where you don't want CMUD to save your layout. So I don't know why you'd want to keep turning this option off. In fact, this option is really more for internal testing and will likely just get removed completely in the future. It was only added so that if you were doing something special and didn't want your layout saved in a particular situation then you could disable it before quitting CMUD.

Anyway, I'm going to unlock this thread again for continued discussion of whether the AutoSave Layout option should work differently, but if the thread gets sidetracked again, then I'll lock it again.
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:06 pm   

Zugg wrote:
On the original issue: Yes, the Auto-Save Layout option is always enabled when you start CMUD. I used to save the value, but then too many people were complaining that there layout wasn't being saved because they had accidentally turned this option off.

There should be few cases where you don't want CMUD to save your layout. So I don't know why you'd want to keep turning this option off. In fact, this option is really more for internal testing and will likely just get removed completely in the future. It was only added so that if you were doing something special and didn't want your layout saved in a particular situation then you could disable it before quitting CMUD.

Anyway, I'm going to unlock this thread again for continued discussion of whether the AutoSave Layout option should work differently, but if the thread gets sidetracked again, then I'll lock it again.

Currently I'm finding I'm altering my layout a lot lately in order to fit various situations. Sometimes I'm multi tasking and I choose to make my connection smaller so I can see those things, but then having the extra side windows for my tells and map take up too much space, and so I decide to hide or remove them. Problem is, with Auto-save being on all the time. I have to go in each time and make sure I select it to be off or my layout gets completely screwed up. It just seems a bit silly to me that I cannot choose what I want in the program, especially knowing it's because other people made a mistake. Sounds to me like it should be placed somewhere else as an option where it is more difficult to accidentally alter.
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:58 pm   

Its really easy to undo a layout you dont like though.
Just hold down shift when you start the session.
I don't see the need for turning off the auto save feature.
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:42 pm   

I'd rather it go to my default when I log on and adjust that than change my layout every single time. Because, more often than not, I'll still be using my default. I don't see the need for stopping me from turning off the auto save feature.
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:00 pm   

What I will probably do is remove the option from the Layout Menu and instead move it into the session preferences (like in the Character tab where you can enable/disable the autologin feature). That still makes it easy to turn off if you need it, but removes it from the menu system where novice users accidentally activate it without knowing what it is.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:03 pm   

I think a relatively simple solution can be achieved. Whether the layout should be automatically saved should be saved as part of the layout. Then when the auto save is turned off the layout is not saved, and the value would be on again. If someone turns off the auto save and then manually saves a layout then the auto save being off would be saved. This also would cause the use of shift-open to reset the auto save to on at the same time it resets the entire layout.

That covers the accidental item of having turned it off, and lets someone save it in the off state.
chamenas
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:07 pm   

For the record... I like Vijilante's idea! Though Zugg's is good too. Either way... I just want some way.
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:47 pm   

Unfortunately there isn't any way to do that. The Layout file format is controlled by the Window Docking system components that I'm using (that's why the XLY files are *so* ugly...it isn't my own file format). I don't have any way to add my own data to that file.

But I think I can "mimic" that behavior myself with saving the option in the session file when the layout file is saved manually. I'll see what I can do. I agree with Vijilante that having this option in the menu is actually more convenient since there needs to be an easy way to tell CMUD "I am changing my layout to something weird and I don't want you to save it!" before exiting CMUD. Needing to bring up the session properties would be more of a pain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: