Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Dharkael
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:59 pm   

Site Menu (Nav Bar?) Link to Zugg's Blog Outdated when not logged in.

I generally don't stay logged in to these forums, I login to post then log back out.
When I use the Site menu to go to Zuggs Blog it always showed very outdated posts, one or two from a few months ago then the maybe some from about a year ago.
For the longest time I didn't bother reading Zuggs blog because I figured he didn't ever write anything in it.
Then I discovered if you go to the main forum page and click the link there for Zuggs Blog it took you to a different and current page.
I always wondered why the Site Menu link was "Outdated" I just never bothered to post about because I figured someone else would.
Today I discovered that if you use the Site Link to Zuggs Blog while Logged In it does take you to a page with a different format than the link from the forums page,
however both pages are up to date.

Logged Out currently the "Latest Posts" on Zugg's blog are
World Science Fiction Convention with the latest comment of Jan 20/08
Vista Experience - Take Two! latest commet May 14 2007

Anyways I just decided it would probably never be fixed unless someone (me?) reported it.
IainMac
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:30 pm   

The trouble is that the link on the drop down menu points to the weblog.php page i.e
Code:
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/weblog.php?f=35

when it looks like it should point to the viewforum.php page
Code:
http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=35

So it just looks like the wrong page was linked in the menu and yes this has been bugging me as well Smile
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:26 pm   

Well, this is actually a problem with the weblog MOD for PHPBB. The first link (to weblog.php) is correct and shows the main Blog page. But it shows the articles in order of creation date and does not show articles that have recent comments. Going to the actual Blog forum where the articles are stored allows you to see the "posts" with the recent comments at the top. But this page is just a forum view and doesn't have the other blog-specific formatting like the first link does.

The entire blog MOD actually needs to be replaced. I don't like the fact that it doesn't have categories, for example. But unfortunately, since our PHPBB installation here is very customized, I can't just go download a new blog module for it. So it is one of the many things that I'm going to need to fix myself, and doing PHP work on the web site has a very low priority right now. It was something I was going to address at the same time as some of the MyMuds.com web work, which has been postponed until after the mapper rewrite.

The problem is that it takes a completely different mindset for me to be programming for CMUD in Delphi, vs programming for the web site in PHP. It takes me several days to re-familiarize myself with the PHP code on the site, and I just don't have the time for that right now. So the web site tweaks will have to wait for now, sorry.

Btw: What I usually do when I'm reading the forums each day is just click on the main "Forums" link at the top of the page. That will display the list of forums on the right, with indicators as to which forums have new posts. The Blog forum is listed here too. On the left you get a list of recent posts, including any comments to blog entries. So this makes it pretty easy to see what new posts there are, or what new blog articles there are.
Toxic
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:31 pm   

Note to that: CMUD Beta Forum posts don't show up in the recent posts on the left. Not sure if it's intentional or not.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:56 pm   

I find it much easier to use this page, which shows posts that're unread since your last visit (marked as orange). It's linked underneath your avatar on the main page as "Posts since last visit (x)".

It'd be kinda cool if the new MyMuds-era blog code would allow anyone to set up a MUD-related blog. Be a good place to collect those miscellaneous CMUD tips ;)

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Website or Forum problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: