Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Vio

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:49 pm   

Couple of questions

Are there any plugins for CMUD?

I've read that with Cmud, future upgrades/updates? are not free, like they are with zMUD. Is this true?

If it's true, are there any other disadvantages of using Cmud over zMUD?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:26 pm   

The plugin architecture for CMUD hasn't been added yet. The COM API for CMUD is still available, so any external programs that called zMUD can be changed to call CMUD instead. But the internal plugins for zMUD, like zChat, do not work in CMUD. Chat is being added to CMUD in the future as an integrated feature, and there weren't that many other plugins that a lot of people were using in zMUD, so it hasn't been a big priority.

Also, with the new packages features of CMUD, it's easier to do stuff that might have required a plugin in zMUD.

You get 2-years of updates with CMUD. CMUD hasn't been out for a full 2 years yet, so I haven't released any update yet that requires a charge, but the plan is that *major* version upgrades (like 3.0, 4.0, etc) will cost half of whatever the full price is. Each time you buy an update, you get another 2-years of major version updates for free.

For a full list of changes between zMUD and CMUD, see the: Changes for zMUD Users article.
Corthono
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:09 am   

instead of making my own thread, I'll just ask my question here...

based on the following nugget of wisdom:

"If you install CMUD to it's own directory (which is actually the recommended approach for the cleanest installation), then the first time you run CMUD, it should detect that zMUD is installed on your computer and it will ask if you wish to import your zMUD files. It will ask you to locate your zMUD installation directory, and will then show a list of all characters defined in zMUD. Select the characters you wish to import and CMUD will copy those files and convert them for CMUD. Once again, your zMUD files are not altered."

so, if I understand this correctly, I could install cmud on my old laptop (windows XP), have it convert my zmud scripts located there, then export the new cmud scripts onto a USB stick, so I can import them on my new laptop (windows Vista) where zmud won't function at all.

correct, yes or no? :P
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:47 am   

Correct. You actually don't need to export the files, even, like you had to in zMUD - just copy the .pkg files.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Corthono
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:04 am   

sweet, thanks!
Corthono
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:56 pm   

ok, so I'm not very good at this, and need a little extra explaining... the copying of the .pkg files, all that's needed is CTRL+C/CTRL+V and doing so for the correct folders, right? cause I had cmud do what I asked about in my initial post here, and then copied that .pkg file for Imperian onto a USB stick, to copy that onto the Vista laptop (folder: ...\cmud\installdata\imperian)... but, when playing Imperian, no triggers

where'd I go wrong? Neutral
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:25 pm   

At the session window select Imperian and click edit session.
Go to the package files tab.
Click browse and go to where you placed the imperian.pkg file and select it.

If you did not overwrite the old package or had named your imperian package something besides imperian then your triggers wouldn't be there.

I've played with my package files still located on the usb before. It is OK so long as Cmud knows where the package is.

That way I could travel between computers without having to keep copying my files back and forth.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:31 pm   

Ah funky idea Arminas, especially if you travel between comps quite a lot.
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:48 pm   

Yes, in case you hadn't noticed I often comment about not having ZMUD handy to test this or that.
It's because I am often on one of five different machines. Several of which don't have ZMUD installed.

Bug reports come from the machine at home that is described in my signature.
Corthono
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:09 pm   

alright, thanks again
Vio

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:46 am   

Thanks for the reply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: