Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
deathkitty
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:25 pm   

bug with mapper randomly selecting links and un-link when you click in edit mode

Does anyone else get this, or know how to fix it? It's really annoying, and used to happen in zMud mapper too I am surprised it's not fixed, mainly seems to happen in big maps:

When you click to edit a link sometimes it will (seemingly) randomly select another link very far away on the other side of the map or even in a different zone, and of course when you let go of the huge line you are dragging, the link is un-linked and you don't even know what got unlinked :(
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:20 pm   

I have had this occur too.

If I knew what to do about it it was a very long time ago and I have forgotten.

As to why it wouldn't be fixed in Cmud either.

The mapper is basically still the same one from Zmud.
Zugg intends to rewrite it at some point this year for CMud but in the meantime
we have to deal with the one from Zmud that as I said is practically unaltered from the Zmud Version.

Finally, I didn't frequent the forums quite so much back in the Zmud development days and I don't know
that this bug was ever reported back then. After all as you said it usually doesn't start happening until the
map is huge! Back in those days I was among the very few, the only one on my MUD in fact, that had a
world wide map of their MUD.
Anaristos
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:04 am   

That bug has been around for a while, it is imported from zMUD. I don't ever use the linking editing from the properties. I manually edit the links. It's safe, though I am sure, not as fast. Just select the link you want to edit, click on the #, enter the target room number, click OK. Then set the to and from directions by clicking on the appropriate compass. You will also have to edit the target link, since an extra link will appear for that room. Just delete it. You may have to walk from room A to room B, and vice versa, to have the link verified by the mapper.
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:02 pm   

Quote:

You will also have to edit the target link, since an extra link will appear for that room. Just delete it.

Actually, no, don't just delete the new one. This new extra link has the appropriate internal information necessary to properly keep the followed link selected so you can jump back to the original room without having to reselect the link you want to follow.

Delete the old link that somehow got broken, instead. If you keep the old link, then the destination room will have the first exit entry selected instead of the return link.

Definitely one of the annoyingly harmless bugs in the mapper, but there ya go.
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:30 pm   

You are write Matt, and that is what I meant, I should have been more specific. The "extra" link is the broken link, not the other way around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: