Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Loftaris
Adept

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:07 am   

cmud slowly coming to a screeching halt

Lately, things in CMud have been dying.

It started out fine, but then it's just one problem after another.

I'm running vista, and 2.18

It started out with the mapper, not leaving certain areas with out exits, now it's pauing in random locations and not completing the full run path.

Then, the screen graphics started to mess up and parts of the page will turn into a collage.

Now, if I keep my triggers enabled, CMud will process each line per second, so if I try and run somewhere, it could hang CMud for up to 10 minutes. Turn triggers off, and bam, fast as lightning.

I haven't created any new triggers or aliases in over a month, haven't changed any settings since the last time I tried to fix the graphics problem, but they're all reset to default now, which is what they were prior.

What's going on? None of these problems occur if I switch back to ZMud which I still have installed.
Loftaris
Adept

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:11 am   

I should correct that, with my triggers enabled, it will start out fine, but after awhile(anywhere from 5-90 minutes), it will start to slow down to the point where CMud is no longer usable.

Other programs on my pc respond without hesitation, switch back and forth to IE and refresh a window while I watch CMud slowly type out line by line.
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:11 pm   

Don't suppose you use a lot of #WAIT commands? This seems to be something where a bunch of threads are being created. I think the command #THREAD will tell you what threads are running. If you do this when you are getting the slowdown, it may be what is causing the problem.

Gurus, correct me if I am wrong as always.
Loftaris
Adept

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:36 pm   

I tried #thread, and there's only 1 thing

Threads:
# ID Window Name Status Script
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 [u] 3k.mud running

it's something else.

I do use a few #wait's, but only a couple, and i don't use them often. I use more #alarms
Loftaris
Adept

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:36 pm   

I had a brilliant thought. Since it was triggers causing the problem, I'd disable a class at a time to see if it made a difference.

I disabled one package, and suddenly things "APPEAR" normal. However, I haven't made changes to this package in ... MONTHS... (January or sooner), and I don't even use the package. It scans for specific things that only occur when I make them occur, and I haven't in a really long time(weeks, maybe months)

Why would this suddenly happen? I guess this is more of a question for Zugg to answer?
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:00 pm   

Well, without looking at code from those packages I doubt even Zugg would have any specific ideas.

Could it be that those triggers have been building up information into variables for all of these months and only now you are seeing slow downs?

Do you have multiple Windows in Cmud? Packages and Windows work differently in Cmud than they did in Zmud.

If All Windows can see All Packages and modules then ALL of the triggers etc are being loaded into memory for each window...
So you may need to uncheck some of your packages for some of your windows.
Things within a Window are only visible to That window.
Things in a Module are visible to All Windows within the same package, and any windows that are using that package.

All of that said. IF you created any new triggers or settings that could be interacting with that package you may have created multiple looping states without even thinking that it should be possible to have done so!
Loftaris
Adept

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:02 am   

I checked all the variables in that package, and they're empty. Like I said, they don't gather information until I tell them to. Which seems really odd that all of a sudden this would all start happening.

It's just just this problem tho, but the others I listed, they're all just gradually adding up to kill CMud.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:51 am   

I don't really have too many thoughts without some more information. The only questions I can think to ask that haven't been asked are: Do you keep CMud open all the time? Do you use many temporary alarms and triggers?

Are you willing to share the bad package? Zugg would be able to diagnose the problem more readily; but I do have the tools for low level inspection of the packages, and a pretty firm grasp on what things mean in there.
Loftaris
Adept

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:20 am   

To answer your questions.

-Yes, I rarely close CMud, just my laptop lid, and resume it when I open it again

-I'd be willing to share any of the packages I have
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:13 pm   

We really need to see some code before we can help. If you export the offending section to xml, you can post it inside code tags.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: