Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Manivo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:46 am   

Mapper problem with doors

I've run into a problem with the automapper due to the way the mud displays closed doors.

Code:

The Western Hallway
   Small burn marks scorch the walls where sconces hold now unlit torches. 
To the east and west of you, identical wooden doors are set into the smooth
stone walls, each with a leaf and vine engraved pattern.  Off in the distance
to the north, you can barely hear the echoing sound of chanting.   
[ Exits: north [east] south [west]]

Is the output from the mud, where closed doors are enclosed in [] brackets.

The problem is that when I enter such a room the automapper stops looking for additional exits after the first ending bracket ']'. When attempting to walk in a direction that was not mapped by the automapper it adds a door to the map in that direction, and walking back to the previous room creates another room in the map rather than set the current position to the previous room.

I've figured out how to get it to automatically make the mapper read doors as I walk about (since the mud uses an 'open <door> <direction>' format), but I can't quite figure out how to make it read all of the exits in the room correctly, and treat bracketed exits as doors.

Any help would be appreciated.
Indral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:29 pm   

do doors remain open after you open them and move through?
Manivo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:53 pm   

Yeah. That's not that big of a problem, though, as when you try to go through that door it'll simply try to open it again (and fail), and then would walk on normally.

The main issue is with the automapper not picking up the exits correctly due to the brackets. I figure I need to rig a #TAG trigger that would bypass the automapper's exit retrieval, and one that would also differentiate between bracketed (door) and non-bracketed exits and would create a door in that direction as appropriate.

Right now I have a trigger set up that picks up when I manually open a door, picking up the door's name as well. But, again, that doesn't help much if the automapper doesn't pick up that there's exits in that room.
Indral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:56 pm   

so the brackets appear on all exits that are doors (open or closed), or only on exits that are CLOSED doors?

i'm asking all this, because i have a solution, only checking if it's the right one..
Manivo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:06 pm   

Oh, my bad. Brackets appear only on closed doors.
Indral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:49 pm   

Hmm, I may be wrong but I don't think any trigger has to make doors.

Let's say you enter a room, exits appear (some doors, some aren't), and if the mapper reads all the exits, and as you go and open one of them, he converts the link to a door.
Only if you want the doors to be created immediately upon entering the room, which is kind of a luxury, but that can be solved, too.

So, to get the mapper to read the exits properly, use:
Code:
#TRIGGER {^~[ Exits: (*)~]$} {#TAG exit %subchar( %1, "[]", "")}

You may need to remove the "$" character from the pattern if, for some reason, "]" is not the last character on the exits line.
Manivo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:00 pm   

That works great. Much appreciated!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: