Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:31 pm   

New Years' 2008 Discussion

So, Zugg's posted his New Years' Roadmap for this year, and very interesting stuff it is.

I think everyone's excited about the mapper improvements. Zugg's clients are the only clients with a mapper worth talking about and it's probably one of the biggest draws to them. Seeing it get better can't be a bad thing.

I'm also very interesting CMUD lite. It's often said of copy protection that the only secure protection is one that "calls the mothership" when it's run to validate with some kind of account - MMORPGs do this all the time, and nobody plays WoW fraudulently on the public servers. From a security perspective, it's very interesting indeed.

I also think it'd be really nice to get some more surveys done. It's been almost ten years since the last survey. I don't think the forums are the place to do it - the vast majority of customers don't use the forums regularly. I'd much rather see something like the famous Valve Hardware Survey, where every six months or so, CMUD very politely asks you to send in your hardware spec and answer a few quick questions. Valve's survey has been instrumental in developing their products, and I'm sure it'll be useful for Zuggsoft as well.

EDIT: And as an addendum, this thread would make an excellent subject for a survey.

What're everyone else's thoughts about the plans for 2008?

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:01 am   Re: New Years' 2008 Discussion

Fang Xianfu wrote:
So, Zugg's posted his New Years' Roadmap for this year, and very interesting stuff it is.

I think everyone's excited about the mapper improvements. Zugg's clients are the only clients with a mapper worth talking about and it's probably one of the biggest draws to them. Seeing it get better can't be a bad thing.

I think some of the free clients are starting to get mapper support. The one I have seen seem pretty poor though.

A free MUD client could be good. The question is how it would affect the non free versions. Anyway a free cMUD could start compete with the free MUD clients slightly which would be good. The interesting thing to see is how Zugg will make the free version interesting enough for people that use other free clients to switch to while yet not give away too much for them to not want consider upgrade.

The jabber support is very interesting, and I think it has been something that was mentioned a few years ago. Using a separate chat tool makes you able to have more private chats, and with it integrated to the MUD client it opens amazing possibilities(such as sharing maps with file transfers). I think wih Jabber you can be online on same identity from many locations. E.g you could be online on your MUD as well as on laptop and work computer.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:15 am   

I don't think the intention is for CMUD lite to be a free client. The idea, I believe, is that you'll pay to have your sessions on MyMUDs.com and then they'll be available anywhere with CMUD lite. CMUD lite won't be able to create sessions of its own.

ReedN
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:45 am   

I'm very eager and pleased to see the bit about the upcoming map work. It's what sold me on Zmud in the beginning and it's why I'm still here now.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:12 am   

I really like the MyMuds idea and I think it will be a great CMUD addition, although i wonder how much use I will get from it. My laptop outclasses my desktop now so most of what I do is on the laptop.

The features I want to get my hands on are new Mapper, new Database module and scriptable forms. It's the code junkie in me that wants these features though. I'm often more interested in coding up features for MUDding using z/CMUD than actual mudding.
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:58 am   

Unfortunately, I find that I have only marginal interest with any of the new features, though I have some comments:

Delphi/Vista upgrades: I hope that doesn't end up meaning less compatibility for XP users. I don't see myself migrating to Vista until I positively have to.

TeSSH: as a UNIX developer I use command line windows all the time. And while I might sometimes find a z/CMUD interface useful, those are really few and far between. My shell (bash) has all the command line editing and recall I need, really, though being able to mouse around the edit buffer would be a plus. But I would hate losing the auto-completion capability (file names, variables, history expansion). Also, a must for any telnet client is to be able to support full window cursoring, so I can use vi or another visual editor (like emacs). Generally speaking, I wouldn't write a client script to automate functions, I'd use the shell, since that is more portable and would be useful to anyone running any client. About the only use would be other interactive programs that don't have a command line editor, but that isn't something I do a lot (UNIX tends to not have programs that act like that). There's already a pretty good telnet client that's called AbsoluteTelnet. It has SSH support, and acts like a virtual terminal. It doesn't have any of the triggers, etc., but like I said, I don't miss those.

Improved Mapper: As I play exclusively in MUSHes these days, I find the mapper to be of limited usefulness. The very free-form input and output of MUSHes probably makes having a good mapper difficult: a) generally no prompt; b) generally, exits do not use cardinal directions, but names (i.e., instead of "west", you might see "city library"); c) not even a requirement that exits align with cardinal directions; d) no actual limit to the number of exits from a room. I'm not even sure it would be very useful to figure out how to support MUSHes better, since they generally have low room counts anyways, and there's usually support to teleport or have the MUSH take you wherever you want to go.

Hmm... you know what I might be interested in someday soon? A client for a smart phone. I was thinking that I had little interest in mymuds.com.... but maybe if it integrated with a phone (or PDA) client....
ecourt
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:08 pm   

Oddly enough, I think the comercial product he speaks of could be a real nice thing.
I currently use refelections to connect to my phone switches. it does ok, but there are a lot of things I could do with trigger like abllities....
for example, opening a com port, and dialing a pager # if a certain error is displayed on the screen.

another big one, on my nortel phone switches, -- when entering commands, you get SCHXXX error codes.
you then have to enter a command to decode the SCH code.. would be real handy to kick off a trigger when it sees SCHXXXX, and automatically display the info. :)

I'm interested ...
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:18 pm   

Quote:
I hope that doesn't end up meaning less compatibility for XP users

Absolutely not. Most people are still going to run XP for a *long* time and I'm obviously going to fully support those users. In fact, given the problems that Vista has, I expect XP to last a lot longer than other older versions of Windows ever did. And it's actually very easy to fully support XP from a Vista application, so this really shouldn't be a problem at all.

Quote:
Also, a must for any telnet client is to be able to support full window cursoring, so I can use vi or another visual editor (like emacs)

CMUD (and zMUD) already do this. I use 'vi' in CMUD all the time. Also, once FTP and SFTP are added, there will be some nice features that allow you to edit your files locally within the CMUD editor window (with CMUD handling the file transfer in the background transparently). I know many sys admins that already use zMUD/CMUD and mainly they are creating scripts for stuff like automatting router maintenance/configuration and setting up triggers to detect when there is a problem, or color various text from the screen. I use it myself with a CMUD script that rebuilds PHP on my server just because I'm not a UNIX expert and I'd rather code a script in CMUD that figure out the shell stuff.

Quote:
But I would hate losing the auto-completion capability (file names, variables, history expansion).

You don't lose that. Maybe you've never tried "Character Mode" in CMUD before. But in this mode you still have the CMUD command line, but you can *also* click on the main output window and enter text directly into that, just like a normal telnet client. And when entering text into the main window, you are interacting with the server just like normal telnet and have full access to all of your shell stuff (like file name completion, etc).
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:11 pm   

ecourt wrote:
Oddly enough, I think the comercial product he speaks of could be a real nice thing.
I currently use refelections to connect to my phone switches. it does ok, but there are a lot of things I could do with trigger like abllities....
..would be real handy to kick off a trigger when it sees SCHXXXX, and automatically display the info. :)

Yes that sort of use is where I believe that TeSSH is ideally suited and is more than likely Zugg's thinking behind it's eventual release.

Fang Xianfu wrote:
I don't think the intention is for CMUD lite to be a free client. The idea, I believe, is that you'll pay to have your sessions on MyMUDs.com and then they'll be available anywhere with CMUD lite. CMUD lite won't be able to create sessions of its own.

I think I remember reading somewhere that a purchase of the full CMUD product gets you use of/a subscription to MyMUDs.com hence why lite won't need licensing or copy protection as without that subscription it is useless. Hackers will still mess with the lite version and probably launch site hacks or DOS attacks but at the end of the day they won't be able to release something of use to the public.

Tech wrote:
I really like the MyMuds idea and I think it will be a great CMUD addition, although i wonder how much use I will get from it. My laptop outclasses my desktop now so most of what I do is on the laptop.

There are bound to be times that you find yourself without your laptop but with access to the internet and a client that requires no install to run but still allows you to connect to your favourite mud with all your scripting abilities intact is an amazing thing. If I'm right about the use/subscription how much of a bonus is that if you fancy a quick fix while out and about somewhere without your laptop.

Zhiroc wrote:
Hmm... you know what I might be interested in someday soon? A client for a smart phone. I was thinking that I had little interest in mymuds.com.... but maybe if it integrated with a phone (or PDA) client....

Who knows it may be possible once Zugg is using the newer Delphi 2007 for him to conditionally compile to that sort of platform.

EDIT: Yep Zugg definitely confirmed on my TeSHH comment and I really have my fingers crossed that this product really takes off for him.
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:30 pm   

I always wondered, actually, what the source of the TeSSH name was. I wondered if you had a friend called Theresa :P

Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:00 pm   

Daft name for the database program = CDabber
which kind of matches with CMapper
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:23 am   

Zugg wrote:
Quote:
I hope that doesn't end up meaning less compatibility for XP users

Absolutely not. Most people are still going to run XP for a *long* time and I'm obviously going to fully support those users. In fact, given the problems that Vista has, I expect XP to last a lot longer than other older versions of Windows ever did. And it's actually very easy to fully support XP from a Vista application, so this really shouldn't be a problem at all.

OK. I've just been used to the systems where you need to develop on the lowest version of something in order to have the best compatibility.

Zugg wrote:
Quote:
Also, a must for any telnet client is to be able to support full window cursoring, so I can use vi or another visual editor (like emacs)

CMUD (and zMUD) already do this. I use 'vi' in CMUD all the time. Also, once FTP and SFTP are added, there will be some nice features that allow you to edit your files locally within the CMUD editor window (with CMUD handling the file transfer in the background transparently). I know many sys admins that already use zMUD/CMUD and mainly they are creating scripts for stuff like automatting router maintenance/configuration and setting up triggers to detect when there is a problem, or color various text from the screen. I use it myself with a CMUD script that rebuilds PHP on my server just because I'm not a UNIX expert and I'd rather code a script in CMUD that figure out the shell stuff.

You learn something new every day :)

Zugg wrote:
Quote:
But I would hate losing the auto-completion capability (file names, variables, history expansion).

You don't lose that. Maybe you've never tried "Character Mode" in CMUD before. But in this mode you still have the CMUD command line, but you can *also* click on the main output window and enter text directly into that, just like a normal telnet client. And when entering text into the main window, you are interacting with the server just like normal telnet and have full access to all of your shell stuff (like file name completion, etc).

That does seem to work pretty well, except for one thing--needing to use Ctrl-Alt for Ctrl. It's almost impossible to edit in emacs with that :)

I did a quick compare with AbsoluteTelnet, and one feature you might consider is supporting not just network connections, but also modem and COM port serial connections. It also supports X/Y/Zmodem file transfers, but I'm not sure that's very popular anymore. I can see its usefulness when all you have is a serial connection though. It also supports using the Alt key for emacs, and general key remapping.

A minor feature that I don't think z/CMUD has that most terminals support is a "visual bell" that flashes the screen.
ecourt
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:47 am   

This is probably not the right place for this (I don't see the what do you NEED thread any more)
Since you mentioned re-working the mapper... I have one request-- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE include an undo function.
I don't know how many times I've deleted 40 rooms by accident, and just been stuck. It has made me better at backing up my map databse :)
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:58 am   

There'll probably be a suggestions thread for the new mapper closer to the time (and if there isn't, I'm sure you could make one ;) - make sure you check back in the future and make sure your favourite feature is on the to-do list :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: