Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
golthiryus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:38 pm   

[2.18] cMUD very unstable

I use window xp sp2 and cmud v2.18 and have a lot of bugs. Some bugs are harmless, for example, sometimes, searching a word (in the main window or in cmud documentation help), the search "crash" and can't close de search dialog. But there are another bigger bug that appears randomly (changing the name of a room in the mapper or clicking on the x to close setting window after change a macro) that force Windows to restart the pc.

This is normal or can be product of my settings? I use a lot of modules and imported some triggers of zmud, but all this bugs throws when I aren't using it.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:23 pm   

Please post a separate thread for each bug that you encounter, and make sure you use the crash dump reporting tool with CMUD.

CMUD shouldn't be doing anything to cause your computer to restart. What happens when it restarts, does it display a stop error (even very very briefly) before restarting, or does it just fail? The first port of call for this sort of problem is drivers - make sure your hardware (motherboard, network and graphics especially) are up-to-date.

I believe the search problem you're having has been reported, but I'm not certain. If you could post more info (preferably in a new thread) that'd be great.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:54 pm   

The problem of the restart is most likely because XP has an option where you can simply have the computer restart instead of showing the Blue Screen of Death (this is a critical error, and in my experience it's due to overheating or some other sort of hardware damage OR a software conflict).

If I recall, Win9x either does not have this option or has it set to show the BSD whereas XP has it set the opposite way (restart instead of BSD). Very annoying, because when something happens you don't get to see what it was.
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:37 am   

I didn't realise that, Matt - I certainly haven't changed that option and sometimes BSODs appear, sometimes they only appear for a fraction of a second before the computer reboots, and sometimes they don't appear at all, depending on the problem.

MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:40 am   

Only reason I knew that was because two computers ago I was shipped an upgrade processor with fan that had a defective fan (broken fan wing, causing the fan to become unbalanced and make a loud buzzing noise). After fixing that, I realized two things:

1)the replacement fan was not as powerful as the broken one
2)I should've used that silver paste on the processor

This caused the computer to overheat when it wasn't doing so before, and I didn't figure it out until too late (like when the summer heat began to appear). The computer was saved from a horrible death, but even after I installed the colder water cooling system it must've damaged the processor or motherboard just enough to cause random problems.

Having the original Soundblaster Audigy audiodeck in there also didn't help matters any, since it barely even worked with Win98se and still had issues in XP when I finally upgraded.
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:08 pm   

Yep, the default options in XP now are:

Write an event to the system log - ticked
Send an administrative alert - ticked - you get this on next login after reboot
Automatically restart - ticked
Small memory dump (64 KB)

You can always change these options if you want but in my opinion there is no need, the memory dump isn't of any use anyway. You don't need to see the message since it is placed in the system log so a restart is fine. Finally you'll most likely skip looking in the log since the alert is linked to the automatic feedback system and as long as you follow that you usually get a link called More info and clicking on that tells you what caused the problem with a possible solution.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:04 am   

For example, an access violation exception was lauched when I try to delete in settings a tab with have an open window and if I try to close the window, cmud launch an invalid pointer exception.
I can't sent report, when i try cmud say "Sorry,sending the bug report didn't work."

Maybe i have an strange settings or cmud is uncompatible with some other software?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:59 pm   

Please only click submit once, and edit your previous post if you have something to add to it.

You can save crash reports to a file, which you can then post to the forums (use the [code] tag to keep the spacing).

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: