Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Apocalyptic
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:31 am   

Paths problem

Whenever I click on the paths button it takes me to this Class:Autolog in the package editor. Always. In fact...90% of the stuff does. I am not really sure what is going on. If I record it then it takes me to the right place, but then I have to delete the new one and then click on the previous one to start editing it or use it. This is really confusing to me. I want to be able to learn how to use a Path and how to use it from the commandline. Most of the help instructions for path and alias are complete wrong and some of the stuff they are talking about does not exist. There is no save script and when it first mentions the #path, where do I enter it if I were to do it that way? Also, when using the mapper I cannot connect rooms and sometimes the screen goes blue in the mapper and nothing is shown and I have version 1.34. Also the blue dot does not follow me sometimes. I don't know...

I just want to get my paths working and be able to use them from the commandline with something like .Ashtan so I can speed to Ashtan from my starting point. I have gotten a few working, but I need to go through the menu and use speedwalking, when I do not want to use speedwalking and would rather use paths so I can do it from the commandline. Can someone please help me?
Apocalyptic
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:07 am   

I guess from reading other posts that executing paths from the commandline is impossible. Is this correct?
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:05 am   

Apocalyptic it sounds like you have several problems going on.

The reason you mapper doesn't always follow you is that it must get confused or about where you actually are on the map or can it properly detect that you've successfully moved to the new room. Try reconfiguring the map or changing the SpeedWalking to match only the room name instead of name and description.

The reason the paths (and most buttons) go to that folder is because it's the first folder in your package. Clicking on the button tell CMUD to filter the settings in the editor to only show the type you clicked e.g. Paths. As a consequence it seems to put you in the first folder in your package.

What do you mean you can't connect rooms? Are you in mapper mode? Can you describe more precisely what's happening?

Finally if you like to live on the bleeding edge you can try the 2.01 BETA version and see if that helps. I'm using it now and don't have a 1.34 install right now, but the paths work for me 2.01. Note however this is a BETA with lots of new features and low-level changes so they are bound to be other bugs.

If I get a 1.34 install going I'll check out the paths stuff for you.

[Edit]Yes there seems to be a bug with paths that's addressed in 2.01.
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:31 pm   

**What do you mean you can't connect rooms? Are you in mapper mode? Can you describe more precisely what's happening? **

I am in mapper mode and I cannot use the \ thing or whatever to link the rooms. Seems to go inside the room or too far outside. I can click on a line line anyone else...
Also, the blue mapper dot thing does not follow me around or when it does it will stop later.

I recently bought CMUD v 1.34 and I was wondering if I would ever be allowed to update to v2.01 at a later time when it is ready? I really don't want to have to pay twice if at all possible. What is the bug with paths? Just that it does not work, or is it a specific bug? I figured out alot the other night, but the paths and alias just do not work at all and I did everything the help file told me to. Half the stuff in the help file does not even exist as far as I can tell or it is leaving out info I need to know.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:41 pm   

You get free major-version upgrades for 2 years after your purchase of CMUD. Since you can't have bought CMUD more than 2 years ago, 2.01 is a free upgrade for you. You'll also get free upgrades to any other 2.xx versions, so don't feel rushed to upgrade to the beta version, which is still buggy.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:30 pm   

The problem with paths in 1.34 is if you have a path that is '3s2en' that's literally what CMUD would send isntead of
Code:
s
s
s
e
e
n

Using the slash is a little tricky and works best if you're really zoomed in on you map. What you have to do position the line tool on the outside edge of the room or over the exit stub if there is one and connect it to the outside edge of the room you want to connect it to. An easier alternative may be to open up the room properties, click on the Exits Tab and highlight the exit you want to connect. Click on the '#' sign (in the upper right hand corner) and a dialog will pop up to enter a room number. Enter the room number of the room you want to connect to, click OK. You can then sit the cardinal direction on the target room. While this takes a few more steps it requires less precision with the mouse.

As for the map following you as I said the mapper is having trouble detecting where you are. There are couple things you can do. The first is to reconfigure the map as I mentioned earlier. If ever it gets "lost" you can type #FIND at the command line, or click on the binocular on the map (the same command) and it will attempt to find your location on your map. If this does not help the map to find you then post an let us know. Well reccomend some coding tricks that will let you help the mapper. It's also a good idea to mark you prompt in the mapper configuration.

I hope that helps.
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:32 am   

Binoculars does not help.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:15 pm   

To create a Path from the command line, type:

#PATH name {.directions}

into the command line at the bottom of the screen, where "name" is the name you want for the path, and ".directions" are the direction commands. The direction commands are single characters, like "n" for north, "e" for east, etc. For example, to create a path called "Store" that sends the directions "south,south,west,north" to the MUD, you would type this on the command line:

#PATH store {.2swn}

See the Introduction to Paths in the Help file for more information.

To run a path from the command line, just use .name where "name" is the name created above. For example, to execute the above path, you would type:

.store

To display a list of paths to select a path from a graphical list, press the Ctrl-S key, or select "Speedwalk to Path" from the Actions menu.

I am not aware of any problems with the information about Paths in the help file, so if you find a specific topic that has wrong information, please post the exact help topic page that you are looking at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: