Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
jed
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:12 am   

[1.34] Trigger execution from the settings editor

In zmud there was a selection in the right click menu when u'd right click on a trigger that said something like "execute trigger"... I don't see it in Cmud... was this intentional? I do see it for aliases...
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:54 pm   

I'm not sure if this should come back, but I'm not sure if this makes sense in the context of triggers.

Sometimes triggers just match and perform an action, but if you're capturing information from this triggers a la %1, %2 etc then it really doesn't make sense. Also unless you're just testing, if there is ever a case where you want to execute a trigger that doesn't capture information then I would suggest exploring having the trigger raise an event, then raise the event want you want the action to run without the trigger firing.

That said it would be nice to have a way to raise an event without typing at the command line. Perhaps a selection list when you right click on an event setting or a pick list from. I know we can easily code something up but it would be nice to have the option.
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:16 pm   

Currently, you can only execute aliases (right click on them and select Execute Alias command in the popup menu). It doesn't make a lot of sense to execute triggers since they require some sort of pattern matching to occur to set the %1..%99 variables, as Tech mentioned. I could enabled the Execute option for triggers too, but I'm just not sure how useful it will be to most people.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:01 pm   

Aliases have the same capability to match %1..%99, and I would argue that they are perhaps even more likely to do so than triggers. If I want to "execute" an alias, why wouldn't I just type it on the command-line? However, firing a trigger requires a #SHOW or #FIRE command call, so the manual execute option makes more sense on a trigger than an alias, in my opinion.
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:30 pm   

Or possibly in the "trigger debugger" there could be an option to fire the trigger based on what is in the test box if it matches the pattern.
jed
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:14 pm   

I guess, similar to some of the comments mentioned the reason why I'd like to see it is just to test/debug the script. There are plenty of times that I could have used this, and would be thankful to be able to use it in the future. Sure it wouldn't work where the triggers are capturing something, but I don't think that is a good reason not to be able to use it.... It could still be used to test the functionality of the rest of the script even though those variables arn't updated with a real captured value. I don't see any drawback to having it and it is such a good helper when debugging trigger scripts (at least it was when it existied)... Thanks for considering it!
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:28 pm   

OK, I have added this option in v2.0. The Execute command now appears in the right-click menu for any setting, not just for aliases.

If the setting has an argument list, then it prompts for arguments. In the case of triggers, if you used Named subpatterns, then it will prompt you to enter those values.
The Raven
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:02 pm   

Nice! That was an option I missed.

Edit: So, when is this mythical 2.0 coming out? ;-) And can I pre-order it now?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:41 pm   

2.0 should be out by next week. Keep your fingers crossed :)

There's no need to pre-order it - if already own CMUD 1.x, you'll get CMUD 2 for free. You only need to pay for major-version upgrades if that major-version was released more than two years after your (last) purchase. Since it's not been two years since CMUD was first available, your free-upgrades period won't have expired.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: