Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Brunny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:07 pm   

Using html in Zmud

I know this is possible because I have seen people do it but can't find any instructions anywhere on this forum or in zmud help.

What I want to do is send html so that another player will see what I am doing in a particular colour. I'm playing a mud where my class can create illusions but for those illusions to look realistic sometimes I need to make them the same colours that the mud actually uses for certain messages.

Or if there is a way of doing it which does not use html then great!

I know about #cw and so on but that only changes what colours I see. I want to be able to send colour text to other players.

Any help would be appreciated
Dumas
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:29 pm   

Unless the mud you are playing allows you to do such things, this isn't something I believe you can do.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:01 pm   

It's not actually HTML, it's MXP.

Trouble is, you can't do this reliably unless your MUD supports it. Most MUDs use ANSI colour codes to send their colours since that's what most clients support, and every MUD I can think of strips any ANSI codes you try to put into says or emotes or whatever (for obvious reasons - invalid ANSI codes can really mess up a client).

However, since most MUDs don't use MXP for their colours, they also don't strip MXP. That means that for people whose clients support MXP, doing something like say Goddamn! This boss fight is <b>so</b> hard! will work - the MUD won't strip out the tags and the text will be displayed in bold as you'd expect.

So yes, it's possible, but there are limitations:
1) Your MUD mustn't strip the MXP tags
2) Your opponent's client must support MXP and have it on.
3) You don't mind your says/emotes/illusions looking wrong for people without MXP support or with it turned off.
4) You can't use secure commands because you can't send the correct ANSI code to activate secure mode.

But be careful. Doing this may be against your MUD's policies or could be bug abuse (if they intend to strip MXP but don't). Check first.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Zhiroc
Adept

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:33 pm   

You didn't say what kind of MUD, but if you're on a MUSH or MUX codebase, and it supports ANSI, you can embed color codes into any message. The syntax is usually %x<code>. See "help substitutions" and "help ansi()".
Arminas
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:40 pm   

pueblo can also be used for this sometimes. The trick is that you have to send a string something like "This world is pueblo enhanced version 2" first. Version 1 doesn't work correctly for this for some reason. So if you cannot manage to get MXP working you can try pueblo.

I've used ANSI MXP and pueblo for this and pueblo usually works when the other two do not. Still Try them in that order. ANSI MXP PUEBLO
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:13 pm   

Also, if you use MXP, the person on the receiving end must have MXP enabled as well. So not everyone will be able to see the changes that you make. It's a hit or miss situation.

Like Fang said, be careful using MXP. On the MUD I play, you can use MXP, but you are not to use it without the other player's knowledge and cannot use it on public lines. Too many things can go wrong here (such as "tell charneus Hey man, what's up?;ččAdmin tells you 'You've been accused of breaking a law in our MUD. Please reply with your alts and your passwords if you wish to salvage your characters.') --- that would essentially send the following:

Code:

You tell Charneus 'Hey man, what's up?'

Admin tells you 'You've been accused of breaking a law in our MUD. Please reply with your alts and your passwords if you wish to salvage your characters.'

Then I would see your tell, then get the Admin tell. Unwittingly, I might reply 'Alts: Charneus, Cahrneus, Carneus, Chernaus. Passwords: All of them are password.' Instead of going to Admin, it'd reply back to you because you were the last one to send me a tell.

The purpose of me providing this information is not so you can abuse it at your will (if you do, I hold no responsibility for what happens to your characters on your MUD), but to allow you to see what potential abuse you could expect from a malicious person. *shrug* Keep that in mind.

Charneus
Brunny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:40 pm   

Thanks everyone. I'll look into these suggestions. And don't worry Charneus, I don't want to abuse anything just want to make my illusions look real, (IC illusions which my character is supposed to be able to make!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: