Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zMapper Discussion
sumen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:59 am   

Lower the cost of zexplorer

Its a great program .. but when the program cost more then the monthly fee .. gets to be to much.. and besides u dont have to do any updates to it anymore .. its manager free .. id pay 10 bucks for this jusy somrthing to think about Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
sumen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:05 am   

Id pay you 15 :00 right now !
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:33 am   

Considering that the minimum wage where I live is about £6 ($12) and at $20 you're getting zExplorer, for life, for less than two hours' work, I wouldn't complain :) Especially when you consider that that's including all future updates which will presumably include any new expansion packs for LotRO.

It's an interesting question, though, the pricing of software. You mention that it's more than the monthly fee - but if you played LotRO for a year it'd be less than a $2 a month. That's pretty good value, and it only gets better as time goes by. The part that really confuses me about software pricing is the "free software" proponents, though. They act as if labour charges don't exist and as if somehow all the work that people put into computer software (and forum regulars will know just how hard Zugg works) isn't worth the same amount as work done by someone else. The Free Software Foundation is especially bad for this, because not only have they decided that their labour is going to be given free of charge, but that anyone who wants to improve on their product (which they insist should be free to everyone) also can't be paid for their time. And then they shroud the whole thing in a "free as in freedom" cloud while denying people the freedom to use the software for commercial applications. MIT license for the win.

I feel better having gotten that out Wink. That said, Zugg does sometimes have sales. You might be able to get a deal then.

NB: Unfortunately I couldn't find any information on the zExplorer section of the site about the license it uses, and no license was included with the installer. That might need looking at. For the purposes of this post, I'm going to assume it uses the "free upgrades for life" policy of yore.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
sumen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:05 am   

Yea but alot of us dont make min wage .. lowering 5 bucks im sure u would see a surge in sales as of right now we dont know if this will work wirh war hammer ,,, so i dont wanna pay 20 buchs for 5 month ... mehw.. does the same thing and its free/
sumen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:01 am   

ok thank u for being honest gl to u all
sumen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:22 am   

if u cold assuse me it would woth with was hammer then i might buy it
sumen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:30 am   

snd your statement about 3 bucks for fee i alru get that alrdy fro fee .. from mehq.. lotro.mmodb.comnalakahzam
sumen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:36 am   

do u even play the game >
sumen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:38 am   

id trade but i bet your a gold farmer
sumen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:28 am   

i wish u would recondifer .. im willing to pay 5 buck for 5 monthd .. thats all tha life its got
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:05 am   

A pack of smokes and a beer cost $15... it's really not that much money. If the extra $5 is that much of a problem then I'd advise starting to play free games instead.
I've always found Zugg's products to be incredible value for money.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:21 am   

Fang Xianfu wrote:
The part that really confuses me about software pricing is the "free software" proponents, though. They act as if labour charges don't exist and as if somehow all the work that people put into computer software (and forum regulars will know just how hard Zugg works) isn't worth the same amount as work done by someone else.

I guess I am a bit guilty then for having that freeware syntax colourizer on my website ;-). Most MUDs in the community are run for free by volunteers. In any project there is usually a lot of work involved and you could possibly require people to pay to use it. However how popular would php/thunderbird/firefox/etc have become if it wasn't free to be used by anyone? Also money often brings the worst out of people.
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:52 am   

Of course demand is lower for a product that you have to pay for than for one you don't. That's not the issue, really. It's more about having the option (the freedom) to charge for the work that you put into a product. It's the difference between people who make software because they enjoy it (like your script colouriser and many MUDs) and people who make software because they want to make money from it (though there's a bit of a false dichotomy there - there are also people who enjoy it so much that they decide to make money from it. Zugg's a good example of that ;)

It just strikes me as somewhat hypocritical to claim with the one hand that people's freedom is paramount whilst effectively removing people's freedom to charge for their time with the other.

If I got a piece of buggy free software and spent many hours ironing out the bugs, I don't think it's unreasonable that I ask for money in exchange for that work. People would still have the option of using the buggy version if they wanted, or have the option of making the same edits themselves. They'd be paying so that they wouldn't have to make those edits. And that's without getting onto the free rider problem - since it's practically impossible for people to be paid for work they do on, say, software released under the GPL, people are more likely to spend their time doing something profitable and waiting for someone else to fix the software. It's very perplexing why people feel the need to limit software production to hobbyists and people with a lot of time on their hands.

Not only am I ranting, but I'm ranting off-topic. Woohoo! Twisted Evil

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:38 pm   

I am going to lock this topic since it is really out of place. Wrong forum and pretty much it is a debate that really shouldn't gotten into here. Not to mention I can't even understand what the original poster is trying to say even with a whole bunch of babbling one liners in the span of an hour and all that.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:17 pm   

Wow, this is the first time I have had to ban someone.

sumen: continuing to post topics like this again after they have been locked is how you get banned. And if you continue creating new topics like this, then I'll have to report your spam to your ISP.

I usually don't censor these forums, but when an issue has been clearly answered, and the original poster continues to post new one-line topics on the same subject just to spam these forums, then I have to take action.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zMapper Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: