Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
krohnu
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:14 am   

CMUD and Linux

You know someone was going to ask. :P

Will CMud have the same lib issues that zMud does running it in linux?

Yes I am a paying customer and love my zMud in linux.
(just a pain to run all that setup :P )
Daffyd
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:36 am   

I'm interested in the answer to this as well.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:21 pm   

I don't know what "lib issues" you are referring to. CMUD will use the same copy protection system as the latest 7.21 zMUD, but from what I understand, the 7.21 version runs better than the previous eLicense versions. So I guess you'll need to be more specific about what you are asking.
krohnu
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:56 pm   

Well, I just got the 7.21 so i am tlaking about the older versions. And maybe it was just the eLincense that was the major trouble. Guess its time to try the 7.21 install :P
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:09 pm   

I think he meant to ask if you'd be building a Linux version that didn't have to run in an emulator. Clearly the answer would be no, as not much other than the removal of the elicense wrapper and the upgrade to Delphi 7 has changed in regard to a Linux port of Zmud. Namely, there's a significant number of third-party controls that haven't yet made the port over to Linux, Kylix just sucks, and Zugg doesn't really have time to support multiple codebases (at least, more than the Basic/Pro/etc setup he wants to use with CMud).
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:42 pm   

Nah, I wasn't after a linux version (though it would be nice) I just like Zuggs builds, and was wondering if it would be easyer to emulate on linux.

I just hate to have to install IE on my linux box again if i dont have to.
demoneyoungblood
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:17 pm   Z(C)Mud in Linux

I have personally tested each version of Zmud I have had access to just to play around with it in wine. I know for certain that any version of zmud can be run in linux successfully, including the mapper and database (though those two modules are a pain in the *** to get working 100% completely). When CMUD is released, if there is a large enough need, i may consider purchasing cmud, and writing a 100% documented guide to installing it and configuring wine completely so that you have a fully functional cmud in linux. If anyone is interested, just respond here, ill keep tabs on this post.
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:16 pm   

I'm interested - though mostly from curiosity's sake, I'm probably not going to run Linux as a serious desktop anytime soon (I use it for my server, but that's different). In ways I think it will be easier to get CMUD working, because it's not going to have ADO and all that other jazz, so hopefully it should be even simpler to install and run.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:07 pm   

Actually, it's not actually going to be using ADO. ADO just happens to be one of the management systems it can handle. The third-party library Zugg is using wraps all the different systems, without requiring all that overhead that Zugg didn't like about ADO.
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:08 am   

However, remember that the first beta version of CMUD still uses the old zMUD mapper database and code, and that still uses ADO. CMUD won't be "ADO-less" until I rewrite that part of the mapper later this year.

On the downside (back to the linux topic), CMUD *does* use DirectX, and that might cause additional linux headaches. This is currently only used for audio support and I'll try to make sure it will still run without DirectX (and just disable the audio). However, future versions of CMUD might start using the graphics portions of DirectX.
demoneyoungblood
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:09 am   

Linux does have ways of supporting direct X, the sound manipulation may be a bit of a headache depending on which display manager, sound libs, etc a person is running, but still very possible.

When you have a working version of cmud beta, ill go ahead and buy it, configure it and release the guide... then when you release the non ado based, ill go ahead and redo the guide for the new release, i know there are at least 10 people on here interested in seeing it work on linux.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:59 pm   Re: Z(C)Mud in Linux

demoneyoungblood wrote:
I have personally tested each version of Zmud I have had access to just to play around with it in wine. I know for certain that any version of zmud can be run in linux successfully, including the mapper and database (though those two modules are a pain in the *** to get working 100% completely).

This is a topic for a separate thread or a PM, but could you post some info on how to zMUD under Wine working? I have tried this myself but it's really crappy; I can't get the mapper working at all, and the settings window is very flaky and practically unusable.

demoneyoungblood wrote:
When CMUD is released, if there is a large enough need, i may consider purchasing cmud, and writing a 100% documented guide to installing it and configuring wine completely so that you have a fully functional cmud in linux. If anyone is interested, just respond here, ill keep tabs on this post.

I would love to see this!
zami

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:23 pm   Re: Z(C)Mud in Linux

demoneyoungblood wrote:
I have personally tested each version of Zmud I have had access to just to play around with it in wine. I know for certain that any version of zmud can be run in linux successfully, including the mapper and database (though those two modules are a pain in the *** to get working 100% completely). When CMUD is released, if there is a large enough need, i may consider purchasing cmud, and writing a 100% documented guide to installing it and configuring wine completely so that you have a fully functional cmud in linux. If anyone is interested, just respond here, ill keep tabs on this post.

(Bold added for emphasis.)

This post has grown a bit long in the tooth, but I wanted to pipe up and say, "I am interested!"

I've been wrestling with Cmud in linux with both Wine and Crossover, to no avail.

I'd also be thrilled to get Zmud -with- the automapper working, but I suspect Zugg would be happier if we all focused on Cmud.

If I overlooked some information on setting up Cmud on linux already, please direct me to it. I'd appreciate it!

Thanks.

-zami
cypren
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:15 pm   

VMware's free products also offer a good way of getting "cranky" apps like zMUD running under Linux. It's not as nice as the full desktop integration Wine provides, but it tends to work better with older software.

Of course, this assumes that you have a Windows license to install on the virtual machine.
zami

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:45 pm   

cypren wrote:
VMware's free products also offer a good way of getting "cranky" apps like zMUD running under Linux. It's not as nice as the full desktop integration Wine provides, but it tends to work better with older software.

Of course, this assumes that you have a Windows license to install on the virtual machine.

VMware IS a great option for some, I agree!

I am actually a big fan of VMWare running Windows for programs like zmud (and Rhapsody jukebox, and Internet Explorer, iTunes, etc), BUT I'm using my only copy of Windows already, in another partition on my hard drive, and it has to stay there because Dell are some cheap cheap operators, and I didn't get an actual Windows disc with my machine. Just a windows key and a partition to "restore to factory settings" on my hard drive.

And I don't want to buy another copy of Windows.

So I really would love to get C/Zmud running with full functionality within Linux itself!

-zami
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:04 pm   

I'm 99% sure it's not going to happen, but you let us know if you figure it out. Smile
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:29 am   

Has anyone tried using Cedega (http://www.transgaming.com/) - it claims to be able to allow DirectX software to run.
If people can run WoW, Civ4, CounterStrike etc using it then I can't believe that CMUD's use of DirectX is so different as to prevent it even starting. I'm a complete newbie as regards Linux (about an hour into Ubuntu Edgy) - after figuring out a few problems with the GeForce drivers to enable hardware acceleration I got the CMUD installer running correctly and had the CMUDHELP.exe running fine, but CMUD.exe wasn't playing and I wouldn't have the first clue where to start troubleshooting.
zami

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:22 pm   

Larkin wrote:
I'm 99% sure it's not going to happen, but you let us know if you figure it out. Smile

Hah, yeah I'll do that! But actually I was posting in response to demoneyoungblood who said
demonyoungblood wrote:
When CMUD is released, if there is a large enough need, i may consider purchasing cmud, and writing a 100% documented guide to installing it and configuring wine completely so that you have a fully functional cmud in linux. If anyone is interested, just respond here, ill keep tabs on this post.

Let me say again....
I'm interested! I'm interested! My own attempts have been utter failures!

-zami
zami

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 4:20 pm   

Guinn wrote:
Has anyone tried using Cedega (http://www.transgaming.com/) - it claims to be able to allow DirectX software to run.
If people can run WoW, Civ4, CounterStrike etc using it then I can't believe that CMUD's use of DirectX is so different as to prevent it even starting. I'm a complete newbie as regards Linux (about an hour into Ubuntu Edgy) - after figuring out a few problems with the GeForce drivers to enable hardware acceleration I got the CMUD installer running correctly and had the CMUDHELP.exe running fine, but CMUD.exe wasn't playing and I wouldn't have the first clue where to start troubleshooting.

I have tried using Cedega, about a year ago. Everything ran on Cedega pretty much the same as on Wine, but the service was exceptionally lousy. I don't mean I was writing/calling Cedega with questions or problems, I mean the very basic levels of service that they promise. Like the ability to find the settings to run a game. The website was one big run around of following links just to try to find these mythical settings.

I've had much better luck running Evil Genius, StarWars Galaxies, WoW, zMud (minus the mapper :: cry ::), and Internet Explorer under Wine.

Granted, that was a year ago and I only stuck with the service for a few months. They could have improved by now, or been in some sort of transition with their website that caused that dreadful goose-chase for settings information.

It's very easy to find the information for running programs in Wine ( http://appdb.winehq.org/ ) and Crossover ( http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/ )
Wine is free and Crossover is a one time $40 license purchase. Crossover supposedly supports more then Wine, but it's mostly office/productivity type software (it actually used to be called "Crossover Office") - I'm not sure if they support more or less games. Crossover has a nice front end for managing your programs too - makes it very easy to find/remove/alter your installed Windows programs.

With any of the three programs though, it all just seems to be a matter of figuring out the right settings.

Where I get stuck is the Windows programs that depend on other Windows programs - Rhapsody Jukebox depends on Internet Explorer. zMuds mapper depends on DMAC somethingerothers (or some such! I don't remember, I tried tackling this problem about a year ago, and got such a headache I haven't messed with it since!)

Do share if you get it to work with Cedega though. I'd give Cedega another try if someone got the Cmud or Zmud mapper working with it.

-zami
makena
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:29 am   

VERY INTERESTED.
GO demoneyoungblood
post people!
Daagar
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:01 pm   

I'm going to derail this thread a slight bit...

Zami - there is a way to get VMWare to boot your pre-existing Windows install so you can avoid purchasing a second Windows license. I'm sorry, I don't have a link handy for the exact details, but I have done it myself in the past - I had found instructions for doing so in either a VMWare faq, or in their forums. This is actually a really nice way to go, as you can install CMUD (or whatever) in Windows while booted _into_ Windows, but then at any time you are in your linux partition, you can fire up VMWare pointing at your existing install of Windows and have everything there just as you did while _in_ Windows.

EDIT:
Okay, rude to bring up cool features and not provide a link: http://blogs.vmware.com/vmtn/vmware_player/index.html

That should point you in the right direction for setting up what I described above.
Kodin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:08 am   cmud under wine...

So the installer installs fine under Ubuntu 8.04 with latest updates and WINE 0.9.59, however (and this applies to ZMUD as well ever since the switch was made for the license system according to WINE's appDB,) I get a message stating:

Error!

"For security purposes, this program will not run while system debuggers are active. Please remove or disable the system debugger before trying to run this program again."

The program then closes.
This is (to say the least,) annoying. If there is any way to get around this, let me know, and if not I hope that a new build will be made soon that fixes this issue. I have paid for a combo license for CMUD and ZMUD, and neither works under WINE.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:38 am   Re: cmud under wine...

Kodin wrote:
I have paid for a combo license for CMUD and ZMUD, and neither works under WINE.

I don't think Zuggsoft claims any compatibility with Wine. Ubuntu Linux "Breezy Badger" Running zMUD 7.21! might give some clues how to work around the message.
Nattie
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:52 am   

I, too, would be interested in a way to use CMUD in Linux.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: