Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Ice
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:34 am   

CMUD running slower than zMUD

I just imported all my zMUD settings into CMUD and I hoped that the program would run faster, but it doesn't. It actually runs slower, with exacly the same settings. I really want to make it run faster, but I don't know how/if it is possible. Anyone know why it's slower and/or how I can make it run faster?

//Ice
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:54 am   

It depends on the exact scripts you're running - CMUD's database format adds different overheads to zMUD, which makes certain operations slower and others faster. CMUD has features like local variables that'll speed up processing of some scripts too. If you give us more details, we'll be able to help you optimise them.

Also, make sure your computer meets the minimum spec, especially RAM.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Ice
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 7:02 am   

Well, the ammount is of scripts is way too large to be able to post anywhere. What I would like to know then, are general strategies to optimize the performance, like what commands run fast here and such.

//Ice
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:29 am   

If the size of it all is that intimidating then any setting that doesn't need to be on all the time, shouldn't.
Making good use of #T+ and #T- on classes or subclasses can save resources.
As can using #TEMP triggers.

Avoid #WAIT at all costs.
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:49 pm   

That is something I haven't thought that much of really but I'll surely look at it asap. Is there any good way to check the ammount of active triggers? I know how to check the total ammount, but not active ones.

//Ice
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:57 pm   

I would recommend you take a really good look at the Changes for zMUD users of the help docs. The next thing I'd do is go through all the scripts to make use of local variables for those scripts that don't use the variables outside of that specific trigger/alias. This can make a HUGE difference. (Remember that they can also be used with %regex, %match etc calls as well.)

It's generally been suggested before, but it may be a good time to do general house cleaning with your scripts just to make sure you don't have any dead weight.

Finally make sure you don't have any compatibility or compilation errors occurring as these can significantly impact your performance.
GURU

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:49 am   

Quote:

That is something I haven't thought that much of really but I'll surely look at it asap. Is there any good way to check the ammount of active triggers? I know how to check the total ammount, but not active ones.

You might be able to pull off something in COM, but in general any Zscript command that spits out a list of settings will not differentiate between active and inactive status. In some cases where it might apply, it also doesn't account for location either.
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:17 pm   

If you enter the #TRIGGER command on the command line, it will display a list of all triggers. The active triggers start with a + and the disabled triggers start with a -

Also, be sure to run the Compatibility Report in the package editor File menu. This will check to see if any of your triggers or scripts have a problem and are not compiled. If something isn't compiled, then it will be slow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: