Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
vistamakesmecry

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:49 am   

Crashes during installation Ver 1.33 Installer

So, I just set up the new computer and having quite the "Vista Experience"

Cmud is crashing during installation right at the checking Coms... Regserver part and then it just dies. I bought a copy of Zmud many eons ago and was very happy with it and would love to register Cmud, but I can't even get the trial version up and running.

I've set the admistrator settings etc. as suggested and downloaded the installation more than once in case of a corrupt file.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

(And I thought the Windows Vs. Mac commercial was exaggerating about the "Mac has tried to talk to you, Confirm or Deny" issues, but I swear, my 8 month old requires less supervision then this thing.)

vistamakesmecry has posted to a forum on the internet. Confirm or Deny?
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:49 am   

No error messages when it dies? I vaguely remember something about a permission problem arising from the COM server registration, which is the part that it's failing at. Make sure to double-check that you're running the .exe as an administrator.

And as an aside, while Vista does have all that extra UAC mumbo jumbo turned on by default, that's simply because a lot of people use Windows, and most of them don't know how to not download a .exe file when someone offers to send it to them on MSN. Similarly, virus makers know this and put more effort into making viruses for Windows than they do for Mac OS (and they've been doing it for longer and so are better at it). If you know basic security (you keep Java plugins off until you need them, you use Firefox, you have up-to-date virus scanners and so on) you're probably save to turn it off.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:21 pm   

When you run the installer, Vista should prompt you to ask it to run in Admin mode. Be sure you select the "Allow" option. The installer needs to run in Admin mode to install the COM server properly. You can also try right-clicking on the installer file and select "Run as Admin" to force this.

Also, did you install Vista from scratch (clean install), or did you upgrade Windows XP? I've seen a lot of problems with upgrades. I've also seen problems on some computers that come with Vista preinstalled...apparently some OEM versions of Vista are slightly different than the public version.

Not sure what else to suggest. I've tested the installer on several different Vista machines and haven't seen this problem.
vistamakesmecry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:08 am   

Thank you both for your prompt responses.

It's a totally clean install, on a brand new machine. I've tried it with UAC off, and also with the installer run in Admin mode, both by changing the properties to run as admin and by forcing it to Run as Admin by right clicking.

Although it looks like the installer maybe just makes it through and it's the actually cmud.exe that's shot? It doesn't work in admin either etc though. :/

Specifically the error I receive is:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: CMUD.exe
Application Version: 1.33.0.0
Application Timestamp: 2a425e19
Fault Module Name: StackHash_266e
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Code: c0000096
Exception Offset: 02043650
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 266e
Additional Information 2: 5cfd16e22ad6affa8b41de75896c3505
Additional Information 3: 3143
Additional Information 4: c48cfd72cad95947638bf27f6eab647c

And the last two lines of the install are:
Registering COM servers...
Execute: "C:\Program Files\CMUD\CMUD.exe" REGSERVER.

From reading up on Vista it seems everyone's version has it's own quirks. Apparently mine hates gaming ;)
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:04 am   

After a failed install check vista's event log, it might give a clearer reason of why it isn't working, also try temporarily disabling anti-virus/anti-spyware/firewall software.

Click on the Vista Start button, then in the 'Start Search' box type "Event Viewer" and click on it
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:34 pm   

That is the very last step of the installer, so CMUD is installed on your computer. You can try right-clicking on CMUD and selecting the Run as Admin option and CMUD will try to register it's own Com server the first time you run it.

If you get an error running CMUD.EXE as Admin, then there is something seriously wrong with your Vista setup since all CMUD is trying to do is add an entry to your system registry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: