Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
internetgamer007
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:52 pm   

Ubuntu Linux "Breezy Badger" Running zMUD 7.21!

Hello all!
Just wanted to post an update...

I've been trying to get zMUD to work with Linux for years (I purchased zMUD back in 2000). Well, combine the hard work of the Ubuntu staff and the WineHQ staff, and you've finally got a working combination with the latest update.

WineHQ v0.9.5 now runs zMUD 7.21 (yes, it's a little ugly but it works) in Ubuntu "Breezy Badger" Linux without any special setting up.
blkno1
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:14 am   Me too

Got Zmud 7.21 to run under Ubuntu Linux (breezy), I did have to use the Automatix install of wine though. So far runs slick. Even got the TT font workin.

-bk Cool
anylo
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:10 pm   

Kudos to you, guys.

No I have something to do (instead of mudding). ;)
V0oD0oman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:40 am   

Could someone help me get zmud going on here? I've got Ubuntu 5.10 installed, and i cannot get zmud to run. The error i'm getting is:

err:seh:setup_exception nested exception on signal stack in thread 0022 eip 7bed 9267 esp b7f45cd0 stack 0x7f330000-0x7fb30000

any ideas?
katisha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:01 am   

I am at lost! I read the WHOLE thread about running zmud in linux but did NOT find out how to make it work. I have just switched from windows to linux, Ubuntu too.. so bear with me here :)

Can you guys elaborate how you made it work so I can follow in your footsteps?
katisha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:29 am   zMud under wine works - but the mapper

Actually I did install zmud with wine and so far it works OK... surprinsigly!

I just can't run the mapper, it gives an access violation at module zmud.exe.... any ideas? I'd apreciate it :)

Tried to run it a second time, now I am getting a message saying "A component named NewMapF already exists"

Thoughts?
nema32
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:36 am   

I'm sorry I missed this thread-- I usually monitor the large one from time to time, but I seem to have completely missed this one for a month. Here is how to get a fresh wine working with zMud 7.21. You need to obtain the following files which the links worked as of this writing.

Create your base setup.
Open a terminal window and go to the directory where you placed the above files. Assuming you have no ~/.wine, winecfg will create it. Run:
Code:
winecfg

Change Global settings to "Windows 98", and exit.

Fake an IE6 install.
Add the following to ~/.wine/system.reg keeping the blank line at the end:
Code:
[Software\\Microsoft\\Internet Explorer]
"Version"="6.0.2900.2180"

[System\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\msiserver]

Install DCOM98.
Code:
wine dcom98 /c

Either enter "C:\windows\system", or browse to that folder and click OK.

Install MDAC.
Code:
WINEDEBUG="fixme-all" wine mdac_typ

Install Jet4.0.
Code:
WINEDEBUG="fixme-all" wine Jet40SP8_9xNT.exe
Ignore the error about dao2535.tlb.

Complete Setup.
Either install zMud or copy an existing directory to somewhere under ~/.wine/drive_c. Then run:
Code:
winecfg
Change Global settings back to Windows 2000, and Apply. Add Application, and navigate to your zMud directory, choose 'zmud.exe', and select Windows NT 4.0. Apply and Exit.

You should now be able to run zMud and the mapper. Create a desktop icon if desired, and add any fonts you normally use. Occasionally when I run zMud, it complains about a system debugger in use, I don't know what causes that. If that happens, I just retry a few times and it works.

Tested using wine-0.9.35 on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS.

Last edited by nema32 on Thu May 03, 2007 3:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
bajanrose
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:28 am   

I managed to install Zmud 7.21 but when i try to play it the window just closes. Any ideas?
bajanrose
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:31 am   

I tried to get the above files listed above but was unable to from the microsoft site, does anyone have them or links I could use?
nema32
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:55 pm   

I've edited the instructions, adding links to obtain the needed files.

I've also fixed the fake IE6 install section, and simplified the DCOM98 instructions.
bajanrose
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:41 pm   

i got it installed but i cant see what i type in zmud, I type something and only when i press enter does it highlight what i said in the command bar..I havent a clue how to fix it.
nema32
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:28 pm   

I would adjust the font for command input. Probably the font zmud wants to use isn't installed in your wine setup, and wine just mapped one it had which was slightly larger. Also, perhaps turn off word wrap for the command line.

The instructions above mostly pertain to getting the mapper working-- zmud 7.21 should work fine w/out any special instructions in a virgin wine so long as you aren't using the mapper. Which, IMO, isn't as good as it sounds. When I first started messing with zmud in wine seriously, 7.04 was the version at the time, and you couldn't get zmud working w/out all the mapper components. That's actually somewhat beneficial in the sense that once you got zmud running, your mapper also worked. Now, it's can be deceptive-- you think you have it working until you try to use the mapper.

Anyway, I'm glad you are up and running finally.
Luth

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:53 am   

Thank You Nema for your instructions.

bajanrose wrote:
i got it installed but i cant see what i type in zmud, I type something and only when i press enter does it highlight what i said in the command bar..I havent a clue how to fix it.

You have to turn off Spelling

View -> Preferences -> General -> Spelling

Spellchecking has to be off ...
bajanrose
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:56 am   

Thanks, I actually installed Codeweavers and it works just fine. Just freezes on me sometimes which is annoying but it works.
nema32
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:52 am   

Luth wrote:
Thank You Nema for your instructions.

You have to turn off Spelling

View -> Preferences -> General -> Spelling

Spellchecking has to be off ...

I was just browsing wine's appDB, and discovered zMUD already in there for this reason. You can turn off spellchecking, or you can copy a native riched20.dll from windows and set riched20 to native using
Code:
winecfg

That should make the input behave better until the richedit control improves for zMUD. Note: it's probably best to do this only for zMUD instead of for the "Default Settings". The application you have selected (or Default Settings) on the Application tab is linked with the Libraries and Graphics tab, so you can have custom libraries and graphics for any application.
kopf1988
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:35 pm   

I'm getting an error her:

"For security purposes, this program will not rune while system debuggers are active. Please remove or disable the system debugger before trying to run this program again."

How do I fix that? (also, anyone have experience with zchat with ubuntu zmud? I'm gonna try it once zmud works)
jolopez
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:45 am   

has someone try virtualbox with linux? for me it works perfectly!!!!
nema32
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:07 pm   

kopf1988 wrote:
I'm getting an error her:

"For security purposes, this program will not rune while system debuggers are active. Please remove or disable the system debugger before trying to run this program again."

I get this from time to time. Usually, I just start a few times until it works.

But there are times it won't ever work. It happens when you are running other wine processes. Basically, make sure zMud is the first one you load.

You can: killall wine
and: wineserver -k

To work around this, I made my own prefix for zmud. (so it doesn't use ~/.wine and instead uses its own world)
That effectively shields it from other wine processes I'm running.

Here's my script for running zMud. You'll have to set up ~/.zmud before this will work, of course.

#!/bin/sh
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.zmud" wine "c:\\zmud\\zmud" &>/dev/null &
bagder

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:33 am   

Were you attacked by the Goshawk like last year?
bagder

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:52 am   

They look great! Do they interfere with any of your holsters?
badger clothing
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: