Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
myddrun
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:14 pm   

Weird connection/buffer/thingy problem :)

My Zmud is playing up and I don't know why.

I'm trying to connect to mud.rod.org but the screen never scrolls to the log in prompt; It load some ascii art, a few "with thanks" names and stop half way, just sitting there as an open connection. It's as if the buffer stops filling about a second into connecting to the mud.

Actually it's not just Zmud, I've tried 2 other clients and their own java applet on their web site, they all fail in exactly the same way! It's just that zmud is the one I've paid for. Very Happy

The machine is Win XP (fully patched upraged), Zmud 7.21 (not that I think it's that relevant) and All the firewalls have been turned off. XP's own and Sygate.

Is the mud it? Doubt it. No one I asked has got the same symptoms as me and I doubt I'm the only on running that combo of software.
Telnet is not problem what so ever.

What on earth could be effecting my clients, bearing in mind my comments about the firewall. Wink I can't see any other software installed. Unfortunately this machine of ours is second hand and I don't know it's history and I'm not in a position to rebuild it yet.

Any ideas any one?
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:00 pm   

Have you tried telnet? It's possible there are sending some weired ASCII codes or escape codes that causes it to hang.

If telnet doesn't work then likely it's something with the MUD and/or PC and there's not much Zugg will be able to do. At best he (and other forums members) may be able to tap the experience to help you identify what the issue is.
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:58 pm   Re: Weird connection/buffer/thingy problem :)

It could also be a problem with the connection to the MUD. You might want to try some other MUDs as well to see if those work.
myddrun
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:06 am   

Actually I think I may have tracked the problem down.

Using these clients in an off peak time Zmud works! I also discovered that I was having an issue with my website administration pages at the same time.

It appears that my ISP does some traffic shaping and port limiting at high usage times. Lots of folks are having online gaming, SSL, FTP problems during these hours. So it looks like its them, not me or the mud.

Doesn't help me and my gaming though Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: